Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Battlefield 3 FPS drops suddenly

Last response: in Video Games
January 29, 2013 9:06:23 PM

Hello,
Since the last patch for bf3, I have been experiencing crazy fps drops. There doesn't seem to be any particular trigger to the problem. I get around 70fps stable but then my fps drops to an unplayable 8 fps or so for about 15 seconds, which almost always makes me die. I took a screenshot in afterburner which shows erratic gpu usage. My cpu never goes above 70% usage and ram is under 50%. I only have this problem in bf3. I have tried messing with clock speeds and updating drivers but no luck.

My specs:
AMD fx8150 8-core cpu
Sapphire 7850 OC edition (2gb)
16gb corsair ram
1tb caviar black hdd
January 29, 2013 10:46:20 PM

bump
Score
January 30, 2013 5:07:57 AM

this happens in which game mode ?
co-op, multiplayer or single player , how many maps does it happen on and which ones ?
please also send specifics on your GPU clock; does your CPU usage drop with your GPU usage ?
so far sounds like an update problem tho , i would reinstall the game completely , one possiblity is that everyones having this issue with simular or non simular equipment or something got corrupt durring the update process , i got this game and will see if i have an issue i have AMD equipment as well PII 965/HD 7950
(before you resintall it though ; when in origin right click BF3 and click repair)
Score
Related resources
January 30, 2013 5:01:48 PM

Happens in all game modes and maps. I've tried multiple gpu clocks including stock over and under. I tried to repair function to no avail. cpu usage stays pretty stable at around 60 percent or so.
Score
January 30, 2013 5:20:04 PM

What drivers are you using?
Score
January 30, 2013 5:31:57 PM

Here's another screenshot at the time of drop that might help...

Score
February 5, 2013 8:59:33 PM

Just tried settings on minimum and still get spikes... something's seriously wrong here...
Score
February 5, 2013 9:16:17 PM

Ok... glad you like nividia or whatever but that doesn't really help me now does it?
Score
February 6, 2013 3:48:43 AM

Damn... just got farcry and its doing the same thing but to a lesser extent
Score

Best solution

February 6, 2013 4:45:33 PM

Have you done the usual troubleshooting? In your case:

- Clean reinstall of GPU Drivers (which you may have done but you say "updating" which I'm not sure if that's what you meant.
- Make sure Windows is up to date.

Looking at those 2 screenshots, and side effects you're having...can you monitor both CPU and GPU temperature? Let us know because my first impressions would be either TEMPs being too high or PSU not providing you enough power (which could also be because PSU is overheating).
February 6, 2013 7:33:16 PM

GPU temp is idling at about 20 degrees c or so but CPU is hitting up to 86 degrees c during intense gaming... could that possibly be the issue? CPU overheating? PSU seems to be at decent temp and is 650w so I don't think that's it.
Score
February 6, 2013 7:34:27 PM

CPU's can't handle that kind of temp. You need to reapply thermal compound. Perhaps get an after market HSF too. I don't believe any CPU's recommend going over 70C.
Score
February 6, 2013 8:01:41 PM

Damn... just got a program to measure the heat of the cpu, wasn't expecting this hot. It appears that the slowdowns occur when the cpu temp goes above 80. I guess I'll just have to get a new heatsink. Any recommendations for a compatible heatsink for $60 or less?

maybe this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
February 6, 2013 9:46:31 PM

Best answer selected by nickdabig.
Score
!