How to improve this computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sambo613

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Hi, I mainly play GTA IV and want to know how to improve this computers performance and what should I buy to improve it? Thanks!

Specs: Hewlett-Packard p6674y System Model
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 820 Processor
6 GB Available Memory
919 GB Hard Disk
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (I Believe it's a HD 6850)
4 Processor Cores

Let me know if their is anything else you need of my specs

Solution
Things that matter for GTAIV (lets assume you'll play GTA5 also) is a balance between CPU, GPU, and VRAM.

CPU upgrade will improve how far you can see (because a lot of processing is happening in that game...and well, if you see farther, then more is happening at once).

GPU upgrade will improve the visual quality of the game (post processing effects, etc.).

GPU VRAM is an important factor for the GTA engine. It will allow you to put more textures in memory (and there's lots of textures to be put there). This would improve on stuttering (and allow you to put your settings higher overall).

CPU Upgrade measures: new CPU usually means new motherboard. It's an expensive way to upgrade. But worthy nonetheless.

GPU Upgrade measures...

sambo613

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012

I just want to know what parts can be upgraded to make it improve performance and depends how much I will pay on what, not a set budget although I'm probably not wanting to spend a lot of money on it but want something that I upgrade to be pretty good that helps performance.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Things that matter for GTAIV (lets assume you'll play GTA5 also) is a balance between CPU, GPU, and VRAM.

CPU upgrade will improve how far you can see (because a lot of processing is happening in that game...and well, if you see farther, then more is happening at once).

GPU upgrade will improve the visual quality of the game (post processing effects, etc.).

GPU VRAM is an important factor for the GTA engine. It will allow you to put more textures in memory (and there's lots of textures to be put there). This would improve on stuttering (and allow you to put your settings higher overall).

CPU Upgrade measures: new CPU usually means new motherboard. It's an expensive way to upgrade. But worthy nonetheless.

GPU Upgrade measures: Upgrading your GPU and getting one that has higher than the other VRAM available would be the way to go in your case (for now anyways).

Simon's suggestion would be a worthy upgrade. If you're playing at higher than 1080p resolution...then a 3GB VRAM option is to be considered (i.e. 7950 with 3GB VRAM).

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.