Watchguard Firebox 100 - Slows down after 12mb of data pas..

Last response: in Networking
June 15, 2004 1:06:47 AM

This is really annoying and I'm not sure what the fix is. No, it's not
under warranty, nor does my client have a support subscription anymore.

So, everything works, except after a while, "internet" traffic slows
down to a crawling 3kbytes per second (fractional T-1 is 763KB).

If I reboot the box, it's full speed for a bit.

I played around dload'ing stuff and it seems like after about 12MB
worth of dload'ing files, the 763KB/sec drops down to 3KB/sec.

I'm thinking about replacing the RAM but I'm not sure that will fix
it. This is a Firebox 100 WITHOUT the HDD kit.

I've reloaded the default config and then updated it with the correct
settings.

Is replacing the RAM my best bet or is there something else I should
do?

Thanks.
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 6:28:01 AM

In article <MPG.1b3815b0ccab43b9989680@news.individual.net>,
strommsarnac@yahoo.com says...
> This is really annoying and I'm not sure what the fix is. No, it's not
> under warranty, nor does my client have a support subscription anymore.
>
> So, everything works, except after a while, "internet" traffic slows
> down to a crawling 3kbytes per second (fractional T-1 is 763KB).
>
> If I reboot the box, it's full speed for a bit.
>
> I played around dload'ing stuff and it seems like after about 12MB
> worth of dload'ing files, the 763KB/sec drops down to 3KB/sec.
>
> I'm thinking about replacing the RAM but I'm not sure that will fix
> it. This is a Firebox 100 WITHOUT the HDD kit.
>
> I've reloaded the default config and then updated it with the correct
> settings.
>
> Is replacing the RAM my best bet or is there something else I should
> do?

I don't even know what a 100 is? I have a Firebox II (a 3100) and a
bunch of Firebox III's, but I don't have a 100.

I don't think the RAM has much to do with it - what about the rules,
what about flashing a new firmware, or at least reflashing the same rule
set to it.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 11:14:23 PM

In article <MPG.1b3828ca6fa552c298a627@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
void@nowhere.com says...
> In article <MPG.1b3815b0ccab43b9989680@news.individual.net>,
> strommsarnac@yahoo.com says...
> > This is really annoying and I'm not sure what the fix is. No, it's not
> > under warranty, nor does my client have a support subscription anymore.
> >
> > So, everything works, except after a while, "internet" traffic slows
> > down to a crawling 3kbytes per second (fractional T-1 is 763KB).
> >
> > If I reboot the box, it's full speed for a bit.
> >
> > I played around dload'ing stuff and it seems like after about 12MB
> > worth of dload'ing files, the 763KB/sec drops down to 3KB/sec.
> >
> > I'm thinking about replacing the RAM but I'm not sure that will fix
> > it. This is a Firebox 100 WITHOUT the HDD kit.
> >
> > I've reloaded the default config and then updated it with the correct
> > settings.
> >
> > Is replacing the RAM my best bet or is there something else I should
> > do?
>
> I don't even know what a 100 is? I have a Firebox II (a 3100) and a
> bunch of Firebox III's, but I don't have a 100.
>
> I don't think the RAM has much to do with it - what about the rules,
> what about flashing a new firmware, or at least reflashing the same rule
> set to it.

Before the Firebox II there was the Firebox 10. It was floppy based for
the config. The Firebox 100 came out with a faster CPU, updated ROM and
a HDD.

There was an upgrade kit for the Firebox 10 to make it a Firebox 100.
Either with the HDD or without but with the ROM update and faster CPU.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 4:32:48 AM

In article <MPG.1b394cd9e2602472989681@news.individual.net>,
strommsarnac@yahoo.com says...
> In article <MPG.1b3828ca6fa552c298a627@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
> void@nowhere.com says...
> > In article <MPG.1b3815b0ccab43b9989680@news.individual.net>,
> > strommsarnac@yahoo.com says...
> > > This is really annoying and I'm not sure what the fix is. No, it's not
> > > under warranty, nor does my client have a support subscription anymore.
> > >
> > > So, everything works, except after a while, "internet" traffic slows
> > > down to a crawling 3kbytes per second (fractional T-1 is 763KB).
> > >
> > > If I reboot the box, it's full speed for a bit.
> > >
> > > I played around dload'ing stuff and it seems like after about 12MB
> > > worth of dload'ing files, the 763KB/sec drops down to 3KB/sec.
> > >
> > > I'm thinking about replacing the RAM but I'm not sure that will fix
> > > it. This is a Firebox 100 WITHOUT the HDD kit.
> > >
> > > I've reloaded the default config and then updated it with the correct
> > > settings.
> > >
> > > Is replacing the RAM my best bet or is there something else I should
> > > do?
> >
> > I don't even know what a 100 is? I have a Firebox II (a 3100) and a
> > bunch of Firebox III's, but I don't have a 100.
> >
> > I don't think the RAM has much to do with it - what about the rules,
> > what about flashing a new firmware, or at least reflashing the same rule
> > set to it.
> >

> Before the Firebox II there was the Firebox 10. It was floppy based for
> the config. The Firebox 100 came out with a faster CPU, updated ROM and
> a HDD.
>
> There was an upgrade kit for the Firebox 10 to make it a Firebox 100.
> Either with the HDD or without but with the ROM update and faster CPU.

Hey - I know you :)  It's good that you reminded me of that one - that
was the one you had for a while if I remember correctly.

Did you ever see the problems the chap is mentioning?

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 4:32:49 AM

In article <MPG.1b395f5f6906ea8898a63d@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
void@nowhere.com says...
> In article <MPG.1b394cd9e2602472989681@news.individual.net>,
> strommsarnac@yahoo.com says...
> > In article <MPG.1b3828ca6fa552c298a627@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
> > void@nowhere.com says...
> > > In article <MPG.1b3815b0ccab43b9989680@news.individual.net>,
> > > strommsarnac@yahoo.com says...

> > > I don't even know what a 100 is? I have a Firebox II (a 3100) and a
> > > bunch of Firebox III's, but I don't have a 100.
> > >
> > > I don't think the RAM has much to do with it - what about the rules,
> > > what about flashing a new firmware, or at least reflashing the same rule
> > > set to it.
> > >

> > Before the Firebox II there was the Firebox 10. It was floppy based for
> > the config. The Firebox 100 came out with a faster CPU, updated ROM and
> > a HDD.
> >
> > There was an upgrade kit for the Firebox 10 to make it a Firebox 100.
> > Either with the HDD or without but with the ROM update and faster CPU.
>
> Hey - I know you :)  It's good that you reminded me of that one - that
> was the one you had for a while if I remember correctly.
>
> Did you ever see the problems the chap is mentioning?

Now I know you're working too hard, it was also me that posted this
problem.
:)
!