Noob overclocking question?

lost0822

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
I'm looking to overclock my Gateway(i know i should build my own, it's a gift, but a good gift so i can't complain) computer that my father-in-law bought for me and my wife. I went into my bios last night and can not seem to find any of the things that i need to overclock. For instance i can't adjust anything like the FSB or the memory, in fact i can not even find where they are to adjust it in the bios. Am i looking in the wrong places? I pressed F2 to get into it, but no where in there do i see FSB speed or memory. Anyone else have this issue with a Gateway? thanks for any info.
Here's a link to my complete specs, except i don't have a 3.0 and 160gig.
http://gateway.com/home/products/hm_dtp_510xl.shtml

its the 510XL package 1.

Intel P4 2.8GHz-1G DDR SDRAM-120GB ultra ATA100 7200rpm-Radeon 9600XT 128MB

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
I have an Emachines, I think all companies that sell computers like that have weird motherboards with weird BIOS that don't allow you to do anything that would cause ...bad things

<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?michael:)" target="_new"> You Want To Click Me, Go Ahead:) </A>

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
No, but you can overclock your 9600XT...

<font color=red><b>The mind is in its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, Book II

B_Man

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
To start you need the referance manual for the motherboard,if it wasn't include with the computer you will have to study the MB closely find the make/model. If your lucky you can either goto Gateway's site or the MB manufacture's site and find the manual without haveing to dig in the archives.But more than likely you will do all of this and find that the MB doesn't have pins or jumpers onboard or setting changes in the bios other than auto.This is because most of them systems are built with MB's that just do the job to keep cost down.If your lucky it will be one that does have a dip switch or pins on the MB.If that is the case either change the multiplier or fsb to what you want.