Choppy Video in Mafia 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ CPU with a Geforce 6600 GT video card with 8 GB of RAM & I am running Windows 7 Ultra 64-bit. The specs over at game-debate.com states I should be able to play the game on medium settings, but the frame rate is very, very choppy even on the lowest setting. Is it possible to get it to run?

Solution
The 6600GT is below the minimum specs for Mafia II. The 8600 GT is listed as the minimum requirement. Minimum usually means you'll barely crank out 30FPS at the lowest settings at a low resolution. The 6600GT is considerably slower than the 8600GT, so that's why you are getting horrible performance.

The PhysX option for Mafia II is in the graphics options of the game, it's called APEX Physics or something like that.

In any case, you need a new video card if you want to play any modern titles. The 6600GT just doesn't cut it for most games released in the past 3 or 4 years. At this point there are integrated graphics chips out there that are considerably faster than your current video card.
G

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I used to have an 8600 GT w/256 MB of memory & I was able to play the game. Unfortunately, that video card died out & the only spare card I had was the 6600 GT. You mention disabling PhysX....how do I do that? I checked the Nvidia control panel, but I don't see anything about Physx.

The 6600GT is below the minimum specs for Mafia II. The 8600 GT is listed as the minimum requirement. Minimum usually means you'll barely crank out 30FPS at the lowest settings at a low resolution. The 6600GT is considerably slower than the 8600GT, so that's why you are getting horrible performance.

The PhysX option for Mafia II is in the graphics options of the game, it's called APEX Physics or something like that.

In any case, you need a new video card if you want to play any modern titles. The 6600GT just doesn't cut it for most games released in the past 3 or 4 years. At this point there are integrated graphics chips out there that are considerably faster than your current video card.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.