How well could I run these games?

My important specs:
i3-3220
8GB Ram
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC 1GB

Monitor - 1440 x 900

The games I'm wanting to play are: Far Cry 3, GTA IV, Dirt 3and Skyrim. All on high settings with decent AA settings and high 30+ fps

Another question, how good would I be able to run these on a 1920 x 1080 monitor? I'm considering upgrading from my current monitor to either a 20" 1600 x 900 or 21.5" 1920 x 1080(The monitor I have now was of no cost to me)
12 answers Last reply
More about games
  1. your system is totally unbalanced. on dual or single threaded games it will run fine but games like gta 4 and skyrim it will crumple with fps bounce, lag and stutters. regardless of rez or settings.
    upgrade your cpu to a quad as soon as you can to make a more balanced system.
  2. My PC plays Skyrim fine on ultra with a Phenom x4 at 3.6GHz and according to this even the older i3 is around equal to it
  3. yes but its a dual core. no matter how fast they are they have issues with quad threaded games.
    it will play fine when in the caves and dungeons, but in the cities and some areas of the wilds the fps will crumple and stutter.
  4. Hm, so the i3 is bad for GTA and skyrim? That sucks I guess, I built this just last monday(21st). So upgrading right now is out of the question. Maybe if I turned down some of the settings it could do it better?
  5. It will play those games no problem at the right settings no idea what they will be try it and see.
  6. Sorry I know Hexit knows more than me on this subject so if he disagrees he is most likely correct.
  7. HEXiT said:
    yes but its a dual core. no matter how fast they are they have issues with quad threaded games.
    it will play fine when in the caves and dungeons, but in the cities and some areas of the wilds the fps will crumple and stutter.


    a doubt...

    doesn't the i3 - 3220 have 4 threads? won't that help?
  8. getbacktosrinu said:
    a doubt...

    doesn't the i3 - 3220 have 4 threads? won't that help?


    It's two cores with hyperthreading.
  9. samuelspark said:
    It's two cores with hyperthreading.

    Woah wait, my ivy bridge i5 doesn't have hyperthreading, but an i3 does? That doesn't make sense.
  10. phil_livesey said:
    Woah wait, my ivy bridge i5 doesn't have hyperthreading, but an i3 does? That doesn't make sense.


    Yea. An i7 has 4 cores with hyperthreading. So 8 threads total
  11. samuelspark said:
    Yea. An i7 has 4 cores with hyperthreading. So 8 threads total

    I know what hyperthreading is, but it doesn't make sense why it's on the most basic of the "i" cpus, and the high end ones, but not the mid range.
  12. phil_livesey said:
    I know what hyperthreading is, but it doesn't make sense why it's on the most basic of the "i" cpus, and the high end ones, but not the mid range.


    Because hyperthreading is nowhere near as good as a real core
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Games Monitors Video Games