AMD K6 400, WinXP and Lexmark USB Printer

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

I installed XP on my friends old AMD K6 400 (256MB of RAM) and was surprised
it worked although slowly. My friends were happy with it apart from there
being a problem with their new Lexmark USB printer (not sure of the model,
but it talks to you whilst printing). The printer keeps locking up whilst
outputting and the text gets messed up. It's not the printer at fault
because I tried it on my XP machine (AMD XP 3000 512 MB of RAM) and it
worked perfectly. My friend rang me tonight to say he had tried his
father's USB printer on his PC and exactly the same problem.

Any ideas? BIOS update? Can I just update the USB drivers? Or could it be
the combination of extremely old processor and 256MB of slow RAM not fast
enough to feed data to the printer? Would a parallel port printer work any
better?

TIA

Mick.

Many years ago I assembled a similar system and in order to load Win98 I had
to install the motherboard manufacturer's drivers to make it work. Since
this is apparantly a new install you may have a similar situation.
Unfortunately I don't have any more specific information. I would suggest
contacting the board manufacturer.

"Mick" <Mick@antispam.com> wrote in message
> I installed XP on my friends old AMD K6 400 (256MB of RAM) and was
surprised
> it worked although slowly. My friends were happy with it apart from there
> being a problem with their new Lexmark USB printer (not sure of the model,
> but it talks to you whilst printing). The printer keeps locking up whilst
> outputting and the text gets messed up. It's not the printer at fault
> because I tried it on my XP machine (AMD XP 3000 512 MB of RAM) and it
> worked perfectly. My friend rang me tonight to say he had tried his
> father's USB printer on his PC and exactly the same problem.
>
> Any ideas? BIOS update? Can I just update the USB drivers? Or could it
be
> the combination of extremely old processor and 256MB of slow RAM not fast
> enough to feed data to the printer? Would a parallel port printer work
any
> better?
>
> TIA
>
> Mick.

Another possibility is that the Lexmark requires USB 2.0 to run properly. A
motherboard with an AMD K6 has USB 1.0 ports. A USB 2.0 PCI add-in card may
solve the problem... Ben Myers

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:29:10 +0100, "Mick" <Mick@antispam.com> wrote:

>I installed XP on my friends old AMD K6 400 (256MB of RAM) and was surprised
>it worked although slowly. My friends were happy with it apart from there
>being a problem with their new Lexmark USB printer (not sure of the model,
>but it talks to you whilst printing). The printer keeps locking up whilst
>outputting and the text gets messed up. It's not the printer at fault
>because I tried it on my XP machine (AMD XP 3000 512 MB of RAM) and it
>worked perfectly. My friend rang me tonight to say he had tried his
>father's USB printer on his PC and exactly the same problem.
>
>Any ideas? BIOS update? Can I just update the USB drivers? Or could it be
>the combination of extremely old processor and 256MB of slow RAM not fast
>enough to feed data to the printer? Would a parallel port printer work any
>better?
>
>TIA
>
>Mick.

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

Thanks Ben and Tom for your helpful suggestions. I have a USB 2 card in my
PC I might take it out and pop it into my mate's computer on Sunday. If I
can find out the make of the motherboard I'll also check out the drivers
suggestion. I think I recall someone on this group posting a link to a
website that would identify the motherboard by the BIOS string. Anyone know
if this is correct?

> Another possibility is that the Lexmark requires USB 2.0 to run properly.
> motherboard with an AMD K6 has USB 1.0 ports. A USB 2.0 PCI add-in card
may
> solve the problem... Ben Myers

yvonne

> Thanks Ben and Tom for your helpful suggestions. I have a USB 2 card in
my
> PC I might take it out and pop it into my mate's computer on Sunday. If I
> can find out the make of the motherboard I'll also check out the drivers
> suggestion. I think I recall someone on this group posting a link to a
> website that would identify the motherboard by the BIOS string. Anyone
know
> if this is correct?

Try this http://www.motherboards.org/moboidtools.html

Hope it helps,
Yvonne

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

Thanks to everyone who responded. I did not try all the suggestions because
the USB2 card idea put forward by Ben worked, but all the input was much
appreciated.

Mick.