Question about using Windows 7 with old hardware and old software

SteveSmith1980

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Hi, I would like to get Windows 7. However, my computer is a Pentium 4. I also have an old router and a few old things that were released before Vista even came out. I also use a lot of older software. So am I screwed? Should I attempt to upgrade to Windows 7 or just forget it? Thanks.

If the old hardware like the router, printer, wireless adapter, sound card, scanner has Vista drivers they will likely work with with Windows 7. If only XP drivers are available, the hardware periphals will have to be replaced with new units that have Vista/Win 7 drivers available. I have M$ office 2000 fully updated and installed on a Windows 7 64 system which includes an AMD 64 4000+, Mach Speed NF 4 socket 939 MB, 2.5GB DDR PC3200., EVGA 7900GT, etc. I did not have to load a single system/MB driver, Windows 7 64 had all the drivers supplied to start right up without a single problem.

I successfully installed and ran Windows 7 RC on an ancient 1.6GHz Pentium with 768MBytes of memory. It wasn't a speed demon, but it ran and didn't have any stability issues. So you don't have to write off your system just because it has a Pentium 4.

On my new system I'm running several older programs, including Money 97 (originally released for Windows 95!) without any problems.

SteveSmith1980

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
What happens if I install the drivers for a motherboard or sound card for example, and choose Windows XP in the choice of the platform (because that was the latest Windows available when they were released)? Will this work?

Windows XP drivers will not work with Windows 7. As mentioned, Windows 7 has a well planned lineup of drivers pre installed for a lot of chipsets, old chipsets. Like I said, if the manufacturer does not supply a Vista/Win 7 driver, chances are you will have to buy a new router, printer, wireless adapter, sound card, scanner, etc. For example a scanner from the Windows '95 era that has no XP driver. If it even works at all, not very well with no software app to amount to anything.

Download and run the windows 7 upgrade advisor program to check your pc for any possible issues:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

SteveSmith1980

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I tried to run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor, however I have a big problem. Since I installed my new Ati video card, the scanning programs like this one no longer works! My computer just scans for hours without any result. The same thing happens with 3DMarks. This started to happen just after I installed my new ATI video card.