Freeware firewall for Win2003 server?

wise

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

Is any *freeware* firewall for Windows 2003 server?
(for my personal use).

I've forced installation of Kerio 4.x (on 2003 ;) ), but still I need
FW for 2003 Server.

Any suggestions?

--
Best Regards
//wise

"wise" <esiw@o2.pl.CUT.IT> wrote in news:camqjv$5du$1
@atlantis.news.tpi.pl:

> Is any *freeware* firewall for Windows 2003 server?
> (for my personal use).
>
> I've forced installation of Kerio 4.x (on 2003 ;) ), but still I need
> FW for 2003 Server.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Best Regards
> //wise

If you're behind a router, then you can use this.

http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/network/security/ipsecld.msp

Duane :)

"wise" <esiw@o2.pl.CUT.IT> wrote in message
> Is any *freeware* firewall for Windows 2003 server?
> (for my personal use).
>
> I've forced installation of Kerio 4.x (on 2003 ;) ), but still I need
> FW for 2003 Server.
>
> Any suggestions?

I don't understand: You paid over $500 for Windows Server 2003, yet can't
(or are not willing to) pay $39 for a firewall?

Or did you STEAL Windows Server 2003 from Microsoft on some P2P network...

--
Donald L McDaniel
Post all replies to the Newsgroup,

In article <10ctvd6ssbmlh2d@corp.supernews.com>,
orthocrossNOSPAMPLEASE@cablespeed.com says...
> "wise" <esiw@o2.pl.CUT.IT> wrote in message
> > Is any *freeware* firewall for Windows 2003 server?
> > (for my personal use).
> >
> > I've forced installation of Kerio 4.x (on 2003 ;) ), but still I need
> > FW for 2003 Server.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> I don't understand: You paid over $500 for Windows Server 2003, yet can't
> (or are not willing to) pay $39 for a firewall?
>
> Or did you STEAL Windows Server 2003 from Microsoft on some P2P network...

Well, he could have got the 2003 server from the MSDN Universal
subscription - it's only about $2600 for a year.

On the other hand, he could have registered as a MS Partner (free) and
bought the Action Pack which includes 2003 Enterprise, 10 licenses for
All XP products (OS/Office), 2003, publisher, etc... Only $200 for a
year direct from MS.

But, I agree, anyone willing to spend money on an OS that isn't willing
to purchase a firewall is just plan cheap - I would consider a NAT
device to be the first line (or a real firewall appliance) and then some
form of monitoring software and a Corporate version of AV software for
ANY server.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 06:46:16 -0700, Donald McDaniel spoketh

>"wise" <esiw@o2.pl.CUT.IT> wrote in message
>> Is any *freeware* firewall for Windows 2003 server?
>> (for my personal use).
>>
>> I've forced installation of Kerio 4.x (on 2003 ;) ), but still I need
>> FW for 2003 Server.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
>I don't understand: You paid over $500 for Windows Server 2003, yet can't
>(or are not willing to) pay $39 for a firewall?

Please provide URLs for commercial software firewalls for less than $40
that are certified for use on Windows 2003 server.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

>Please provide URLs for commercial software firewalls for less than $40
>that are certified for use on Windows 2003 server.

I was about to mention that. :)

The inexpensive client firewalls available are not suitable for a full fledged
server installation. Server capable firewalls, hard or soft, are going to cost a
few hundred dollars, which makes the search for a free one even more laughable.
crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
http://lists.gpick.com

> But, I agree, anyone willing to spend money on an OS that isn't willing
> to purchase a firewall is just plan cheap

But if you spend that much money on server OS, shouldn't it come with
firewall built in. Why should have to spend extra for security when Win2003
server. At least it should come with a way to block ports or will that stop
Microsoft selling it's ISA for over a grand.

In article <can2l0$d0o$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>, no@reply.please.co.uk
says...
> > But, I agree, anyone willing to spend money on an OS that isn't willing
> > to purchase a firewall is just plan cheap
>
> But if you spend that much money on server OS, shouldn't it come with
> firewall built in.

Why, you bought a server OS, not a firewall. I would never trust
something built into the OS farther than I trust the OS. So far, I've
not found an OS that I trust enough to run it on a server that's being
used for anything other than a firewall.

> Why should have to spend extra for security when Win2003
> server. At least it should come with a way to block ports or will that stop
> Microsoft selling it's ISA for over a grand.

MS OS's, the network ready ones, come with the ability to filter all the
ports you want - you just have to understand the OS to do it.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

"Demure Guise" <no@reply.please.co.uk> wrote in message
> > But, I agree, anyone willing to spend money on an OS that isn't willing
> > to purchase a firewall is just plan cheap
>
> But if you spend that much money on server OS, shouldn't it come with
> firewall built in. Why should have to spend extra for security when
Win2003
> server. At least it should come with a way to block ports...

It does, it does!

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/michael/blog/0403/index.html#040312
and see references there!

Mike

Splendid

"Donald McDaniel" <orthocrossNOSPAMPLEASE@cablespeed.com> wrote in message
> "wise" <esiw@o2.pl.CUT.IT> wrote in message
> > Is any *freeware* firewall for Windows 2003 server?
> > (for my personal use).
> >
> > I've forced installation of Kerio 4.x (on 2003 ;) ), but still I need
> > FW for 2003 Server.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> I don't understand: You paid over $500 for Windows Server 2003, yet can't
> (or are not willing to) pay $39 for a firewall?
>
> Or did you STEAL Windows Server 2003 from Microsoft on some P2P network...
>
> --
> Donald L McDaniel
> Post all replies to the Newsgroup,
> so that all may be informed.
> Remove the obvious to reply by email.
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

****************************
* *
* PLEASE DO NOT *
* FEED THE TROLL *
* *
****************************
***
***
***
***
***
***
***
W WWWW

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:57:00 -0400, Michael A. Covington spoketh

>"Demure Guise" <no@reply.please.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > But, I agree, anyone willing to spend money on an OS that isn't willing
>> > to purchase a firewall is just plan cheap
>>
>> But if you spend that much money on server OS, shouldn't it come with
>> firewall built in. Why should have to spend extra for security when
>Win2003
>> server. At least it should come with a way to block ports...
>
>It does, it does!
>
>http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/michael/blog/0403/index.html#040312
>and see references there!

IPSec is basically a packet filter, and does offer some protections. If
your computer is directly connected to the internet, at least it'll give
you the option to block traffic from anywhere but your LAN on some
critical services...

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net

wise

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

Donald McDaniel <orthocrossNOSPAMPLEASE@cablespeed.com> wrote:
> I don't understand: You paid over $500 for Windows Server 2003,
> yet can't (or are not willing to) pay $39 for a firewall?
> Or did you STEAL Windows Server 2003 from Microsoft on some P2P
> network...
I have MSDN AA license.
Greetings.

--
//wise

wise

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote:
> Well, he could have got the 2003 server from the MSDN Universal
> subscription - it's only about $2600 for a year.
> On the other hand, he could have registered as a MS Partner (free)
> and bought the Action Pack which includes 2003 Enterprise, 10
> licenses for All XP products (OS/Office), 2003, publisher, etc...
> Only $200 for a year direct from MS.

Another way to get MS 2003 Server: register & download 180 days
free trial.

--
//wise

In article <caop5t$a6m$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl>, esiw@o2.pl.CUT.IT says...
> Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote:
> > Well, he could have got the 2003 server from the MSDN Universal
> > subscription - it's only about $2600 for a year.
> > On the other hand, he could have registered as a MS Partner (free)
> > and bought the Action Pack which includes 2003 Enterprise, 10
> > licenses for All XP products (OS/Office), 2003, publisher, etc...
> > Only $200 for a year direct from MS.
>
> Another way to get MS 2003 Server: register & download 180 days
> free trial.

Yuck, that's the hard way to go. Having to wipe/reinstall every 180
days. It would be cheaper (once you calculate your cost to
install/configure at a reasonable hourly rate) to just purchase an
Action Pack and get a licensed copy of 2003 and SBS and Office products.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

>> Is any *freeware* firewall for Windows 2003 server?
(for my personal use).

wise:

I use Sygate PE (freeware). Very powerful f/w. Works well with Win2k3
server

allanonmage

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
How about us students that wish to play with a server OS? My school is part of the MSDN Academic Alliance, so I am playing with all sorts of MS software that I legally got for free, or for a [relatively] small fee (depending on the semester). I don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on firewalls, but I do want an inbound and outbound firewall, much the way Zone Alarm works (or used to work, haven't used it in years). Trouble is Zone alarm isnt as good as it used to be, or has gotten better in a way I don't like, so I don't use it.

Microsoft doesn't have a firewall, and my school doesn't have a license to give out copies of server-grade firewalls.

I'd like to protect this server, as it will be hosting a 4 TB RAID 5 array of expensive data. I will be implementing backup solutions too, but I'd still prefer to not bork the data.

I am looking forward to your suggesstions for freeware/shareware/donateware antimalware sw (including antivirus et al) for servers!

> But, I agree, anyone willing to spend money on an OS that isn't willing
> to purchase a firewall is just plan cheap

But if you spend that much money on server OS, shouldn't it come with
firewall built in. Why should have to spend extra for security when Win2003
server. At least it should come with a way to block ports or will that stop
Microsoft selling it's ISA for over a grand.

Gentlemen, it turns out that FW integrating the WindowsServer is very bad in implementing the rules, so he wants another which I agree.

I hope you think that there is only Micro $ oft to provide the solution.

Eurico JB Silva