Sign in with
Your question

Aliased Textures Source Engine

Last response: in Video Games
January 31, 2013 1:02:02 PM

When I play some source games (Gmod and TF2 in particular), and I look at textures like brick walls or grids, I notice anti aliasing isn't working on them. I have tried SSAA (in NCP), AF, MSAA, and CSAA. Everywhere is anti-aliased except the textures. I am seeing lots of moire and it is annoying. Any help?
January 31, 2013 1:22:59 PM

have you tried setting up game profiles within your drivers? meaning with amd you would do that in CCC...you can set custom preferences for each game you run to force more anti aliasing
January 31, 2013 1:56:03 PM

alvine said:
have you tried setting up game profiles within your drivers? meaning with amd you would do that in CCC...you can set custom preferences for each game you run to force more anti aliasing

I alrdy sed I tried ncp. Stands for nvidia control panel. AA isnt working at all.
Related resources
January 31, 2013 2:15:45 PM

Sorry to hear that dude
January 31, 2013 2:24:46 PM

AA(most modern implementations) is NOT made for textures it is made for polygon edges. That would be the first problem. You may want to see if AF helps any. It is all about texture filtering if you have shimmering.

Some games with certain types of bump mapping tend to look like aliasing when it is not(well it is, but for a different reason).

FXAA may help, but it tends to have other side effects.

While SSAA(Super Sample) should help more then all others, I am not 100% sure if all games still work with it. It is also a HUGE perfromance hit to render the screen at a high resolution then re-size it. It IS still my favorite AA method since it looked great back when it was the only AA you could get, but the performance hit leaves it rarely used.

EDIt. and GRIDS, the are textures with transparent sections. Anti aliasing Transparency option(NCP) should help this. I always found that HL2's build in options worked more then well enough(and better then control panel options in many cases).

Have a screen of this by any chance.
January 31, 2013 2:27:38 PM

So any other suggestions on how to stop moire on source engine?
January 31, 2013 2:59:47 PM

I think it is an engine limit. The FXAA may reduce it in still images, but i think it will still be visible when playing.

They may need better texture filtering in the game engine.

If you post a screen, I may be able to try to get a similar section of game and play with settings :)  see if anything is better.
!