Sign in with
Your question

OC with PC 2100

Last response: in Overclocking
April 12, 2004 8:36:23 AM

Trying to OC my computer with PC2100ram so I have less to play with and get proformance out of it. Also the ram seems to be really fickel for some reason. It was cheap ram with a good heat sink. Cant wait until I get my 1gig of PC3200. That should help with the overclock.

Im hoping you guys can help me with this difficult OC here? Here are my system specs. All components are 1 year old.

XP 2400+

Nforce2 Motherboard A7n8x Deluxe

Volcano 7+ heat sink Copper

2 Copper plated DDR PC2100

R 9700 Pro

2 back case fans and a full tower

CPU: 2332mhz (FSB 166) Vcore 1.85
RAM: 133mhz (timeings 5 2 2 2) 2.8 Volts
Temps: 40c

I was thinking about boosting the FSB some more and push the RAM some more with the lower timings. Or I could raise the Timings and get more mhz out of her.

I understand the consept of OCing just not to much of the advanced stuff. This would be alot easier if I had PC 3200 ram so I could just boost my FSB to 200 and raise the ram with it.

-------------------------------------------------
Remember what your fighting for, Remember why you even started fighting, and Remember who you are<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Frozen_Fallout on 04/12/04 05:03 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : 2100

April 12, 2004 10:39:21 AM

Well I updated my bios (haven't done that in a long time since I fist got the PC)

I cant mess around with the FSB out side of 133mhz 166mhz and 200mhz.

Also I now have my oc as fallows

2300mhz 200FSB

Ram at 133 with 6 2 2 2.5 Dram Volt 2.8 (the ram is quite the unstable part of my whole computer it was cheap and worked for normal opperations just isn't overclocking ram)

Also I cant seem to get the 14 multi to work with the 166fsb like it was before. Now when ever I use 166fsb I only have a clock speed of 1ghz and the funny part is that I had the 166fsb working just after I updated my bios and then when I tried out 200fsb I lost the ability to use 166 with a multi of 14. The multi of 14 with 166fsb is better right because the increase in fsb doesn't give much proformance with out the ram being boosted?

Remember what your fighting for, Remember why you even started fighting, and Remember who you are
April 12, 2004 9:35:51 PM

You need to look in the MB manuall and see if you can lock your pci/agp fsb at 33/66. Thats one possible reason,another would be make sure the ddr timeings are as loose as possible as you are probably oc'ng both the prossesor and memory.If possible read up on bios updates to see what they where fixing?Might check with other oc'ers and see what avg. oc on 2400 is.Plus what core is that????...ie. Barton,Thornton...???
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 13, 2004 4:26:50 PM

does this affect timings of the ram or anything like this. I always heard that its not good to not sink with your FSB but since my FSB is 166 and my Ram is 133 the ram is still sinked right? Anyway what happens when you run ram out of sink.

Remember what your fighting for, Remember why you even started fighting, and Remember who you are
April 13, 2004 4:56:54 PM

It seems also that if I do any overclocking my Ram starts to act up I don't know why I don't mess with the ram at all and only increase the FSB and I locked the AGP at 66 and the ram stays at 133 and it still tells me that CPU failed memory tests? Is it my ram or maby something else thats the problem here? I know my ram is crappy (bought it for like 17$ a year ago for 1 stick of PC 2700 258mb(by spd its 2100 but with higher Volt or else its unstable) I think my ram is just crapping out on me and I think I should stop OCing until I get new PC3200 Ram and go from 512 ram to 1gig. How ever I am willing to try some more stuff to get a stable OC but it seems like everything does get me better results but I still get unstable results in windows. And up until lately I had all stable posts but now for some reason my posts have become unstable.

April 13, 2004 4:57:55 PM

Do you think I can get my FSB up to 200 stable if I use PC3200?

April 26, 2004 3:29:55 PM

That memory is there but like he said you need to have or be able to unlock your multiplier. You do not want to crank that chip up without lowering the multiplier. It is a good way to dramaticly shorten the cpus life. it is only a 266 fsb right?
!