Install Media Player/DirectX 9 Kills CD Drive?

CD/DVD drive was working perfectly on WinME system. Upgraded Media Player and
DirectX to version 9. Now the drive will not read a CD, be it music or
program. Auto Insert Notification is still on. The drive appears in Device
Manager w/o conflict but in Explorer, it does not read the disc. When trying
to play a music CD manually, it says there's no disc in the drive. However, it
still plays DVD movies. Suggestions?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about install media player directx kills drive

    Do you know which upgrade did it specifically since those are two seperate
    updates in Windows?

    "PutorTutor" <putortutor@aol.com> wrote in message
    > CD/DVD drive was working perfectly on WinME system. Upgraded Media Player
    and
    > DirectX to version 9. Now the drive will not read a CD, be it music or
    > program. Auto Insert Notification is still on. The drive appears in
    Device
    > Manager w/o conflict but in Explorer, it does not read the disc. When
    trying
    > to play a music CD manually, it says there's no disc in the drive.
    However, it
    > still plays DVD movies. Suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks

    >Do you know which upgrade did it specifically since those are two seperate
    >updates in Windows?

    This is not my PC. It belongs to a friend across the country. The problem has
    been fixed by removing Media Player 9 which was my initial guess at the
    culprit.

Gateway Media Player Directx CD-Rom Computers