overclock on-the-fly in windows with sis 648fx

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, you can overclock any SiS chipset, but the software method is specialized to the board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you have a Mobile Athlon XP you can use <A HREF="http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Tweaks.htm" target="_new">CPU MSR</A> to change multipliers on the fly. It's known to work with SiS748 chipset. (Downloads are accessible in English).

If you don't have a Mobile Athlon XP you could mod you chip to be a mobile proc.

Alternatively, you may be able to use SetFSB to change FSB on the fly.

Look for SetFSB at <A HREF="http://www.page.sannet.ne.jp/k-hazama/" target="_new">Rinya's homepage</A>. The page is Japanese language but downloads are accessible in English.

From the main page

- Click <b>SETFSB</b>

- Click <b>SetFSB for MS-6547(v1.X) Ultra Version 1.4</b> (It's the version you probably want)

- On the right, look for your brand of motherboard.

If you don't see your motherboard SetFSB might still work. You should compare your clock generator model with the one listed for each of those other SiS motherboards. The clock generators supported are ICS95200xAF, ICS951808BF, ICS952001AF. If you have the same chipset and one of these clock generators then the above version of SetFSB should work.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

pauloandre

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2002
actually, it's a laptop motherboard, clevo d400v. I was thinking about lowering the fsb and vcore to give some extra battery. I'll try it as soon as I get home, but since there is no vcore selection, it isn't exactly what I wanted

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
CPU MSR is designed to control the power savings features on mobile processors which of course ARE intended to be used on laptop motherboards.

Laptops come with utilities to do this but CPU MSR was written (presumably) for people trying to control those functions using mobile processors on desktop computer. CPU MSR still works on laptops.

For a mobile Athlon the program can lower the multiplier and the voltage. I don't know if it can control FSB nor do I know if SetFSB works with any laptop motherboards. However, a lower multiplier and voltage will certainly conserve battery life.

Please let me (us) know what you discover.

pauloandre

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2002
this chipset is for PIV processors, not even P-M processors (at least mine is a PIV). add that to a radeon 9600 with 128Mb on board and you get 1:40 battery in office apps. So, the cpu msr will never work (not AMD). I'll test the other now.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
AFAIK, CPU MSR controls a variety of mobile processors, VIA C3, Crusoe, AMD Mobile K62, K6III, Durons and Athlons, Intel Pentium M, Pentium 4M, etc. CPU MSR is not just for AMD processors.

I don't know what it can do with Desktop processors. Perhaps control voltage but I wouldn't imagine it could do any more than that, and probably not even that much.

As for SetFSB, as I said it is dependent upon a combination of clock oscillator and chipset. It does work on some laptops just because it works on one laptop doesn't mean it will work on another even if it has the same chipset.

[addition]
oh yeah, big oops. I forgot which processor the SiS 648/646 FX chipsets were for. My bad, big blunder. However, if you check the link provided, SetFSB does work with a few SiS 648 and SiS 646 FX mobos.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 04/28/04 02:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
All P4's (desktops) are locked. I suspected you couldn't perform voltage adjustments with one.

Not sure where that leaves you. VID pin mods might work but I'm not sure it's possible to lower voltage without insulating or clipping pins. (Crashman and P3Man would know more about this).

I can't think of any other way to lower voltage on your mobo.

Mitch007

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
lowering the Vcore, would force you to drop the FSB to keep the chip running. lowering FSB alone would not reduce power consumption, since the IC will be optimised internally for a certain speed/bandwidth.

MIS645Ultra/2.4G A-Pent/2*Corsair 256MBit CL2-2-2-7XMSLLPT PC3200 DDR RAM/450W Enermax PSU/1*40Gig 7200rpm Wes-Dig/1*20Gig 7200 Hitachi Disk/GeF3 Ti200 LeadTek G-Card running 520/230 Ram/Core MHz.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I could tell you how to modify your CPU to run at lower vCore, but it would probably require CPU modifications you're not willing to risk!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>