Sign in with
Your question

Is my win 7 key reusable

Last response: in Windows 7
November 5, 2010 1:05:31 PM

i have a laptop that nearly cought fire :D  so now i'm building a new computer from scratch, can i use the same win 7 key that i used on my laptop on my new computer or is that key locked to the motherboard in my laptop
not sure if it's oem or full retail version

More about : win key reusable

a b D Laptop
a c 403 $ Windows 7
November 5, 2010 9:21:57 PM

it would be retail if you bought the copy of win 7.if it came with the laptop it is oem and not reusable!
m
l
November 5, 2010 10:09:25 PM

No you can't sorry.
If it was like that both your laptop company and Mircosoft would loose a lot of money with people reusing discounted oem keys.
m
l
Related resources
November 6, 2010 7:53:27 AM

don't know if its oem or full retail cause i got it from a friend who got it from his school.. he is studeying to be a programmer and therefor got 1 32 bit win 7 and 1 64 bit win 7, since he only needed the 64 bit version i got the other..
is there enyway of checking the key and getting info on what version it is?
m
l
November 6, 2010 8:14:13 AM

it's probably a student license or a student upgrade, which i have. you should be able to do re-use it. just call microsoft if there's a problem and plead ignorance
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2010 7:19:41 PM

Probably not. Sounds like a full/upgrade version. The question here then becomes did he get seperate keys for the 32/64 bit Disks. I suspect he only got one key, if so and he has installed/activated that key - then when you go to activate it may show that that key is already in use. The single key is for either/or, not both on two seperate computers. I have both that came in the same package, but only one key.
m
l
November 7, 2010 5:37:05 PM

there are seperate key's.. the OS he has, has it's own key.. as i sayd earlier, i have already been using this key on my laptop, but since that peace of crap nearly burnt down my house :p  i'm building me a new computer..

and as a carpenter i'm not made of money so i would like to use the key i have instead of buying a new win 7.. i'll guess i'll just have to try when my parts have arrived and the computer is finished.. if it works, great, if not, crap ;) 

another guestion then, let's just say my key can be reused.. are keys made for one specific win 7 or can i download the 64 bit instead of the 32, i would prefer the 64 bit but my laptop did'nt support 64 so the code is used with a 32bit system disk.. what do ya think?
m
l
!