How to make my computer run games better?

MrBGS

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hello,

I have a PC that I love playing games on. Unfortunately it has a great deal of trouble playing a lot of new games these days and I have no idea why. I've noticed that the impossibly slow performance occurs on both online and offline games so I don't think it is my internet connection rather either a hardware or software problem. In an attempt to fix things I had a big clean out and reinstalled Windows but sadly I still have the same problems with many games. I am not sure what I can now do to fix it so I turn to Yahoo Answers.

Below I have included what system information I think I should so you can see what I am running. Is it something to do with my hardware? Do I need to upgrade some RAM or cards or whatever? Please help.

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3CHz
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Thank you!

G

Hi there,

Your biggest problem is RAM. I'd recommend bumping it to 4gb (2x2gb) and see how that plays out. After that its probably the GPU, its on the old side now.

If you don't want to spend too much money buy a NVIDIA GeForce 560 with preferably 2gb RAM.

After that your looking at a full system upgrade as its showing its age a bit.

Regards,
Paul.

Yes 1Gb RAM is not enough for most modern games, you CPU is allso slow and old just like your graphics card. For games that are nearly playable more RAM should be OK. If you can get a 3GHz Core 2 Duo cheap on Ebay and a used Radeon 4870 or better (and a new power supply if you need to). If you can get all this for under $150 then do it otherwise I suggest you get $500+ for a new build.

Didas031

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
hey...............I have a i3-3220 cpu@3.30GHz,16 GB ram (two 8 GB)NVidia Geforce GT620 (2GB) graphics card running windows 7 pro service pack 1 and some games are still running so slow is there any other way to speed up some games besides having to go buy a better graphics card??????

OP: Basically your system is old. Best solution is to buy a new system.

I wouldn't buy such a graphics card in the first place

To be brutally honest, none of your components are suitable for modern games. You'll need to build or buy an entirely new computer. You could sell what you have but it won't be worth much.