Suddenly, lots of popup ads, even with Zone Alarm Pro! Help!

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.internetexplorer (More info?)

Suddenly having an odd problem. I have Zone Alarm Pro (5.0.590.015)
set to block pop-up ads, under:

Privacy --> Main --> Ad Blocking, the setting is Medium. But IE is
suddenly popping up new browser Windows like crazy. Could someone
have somehow installed some virus or something that is interfering
with Zone Alarms ad blocking? Any ideas how to fix this?

I am using Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106. I recently had to reset
IE to default settings, is there something that should be changed
under Internet Options in IE to get rid of the popups?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Steve O.

Steven AATT Domain DDOOTT com
To send an e-mail, substitute @ for AATT, a . for DDOOTT, and OpComm for Domain

Standard Antiflame Disclaimer: Please don't flame me. I may actually *be* an idiot, but even idiots have feelings.

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.internetexplorer (More info?)

Try these...courtesy of roger..

More info about parasites:
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Download the utility CWshredder:

Unzip - close *all* instances of IE & OE, hit the executable and
follow
the prompts.

You can also download Hijack This from here:

http://www.mjc1.com/files/merijn/hijackthis.exe

Go here:
http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

For instructions on how to use it; you have to post the log it
produces here:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
so experts tell you what is good and what is malware
HijackThis Log Tutorial
http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.php
HiJack This is a program that simply searches for programs that run at
boot time, and checks for browser plug-ins. The results this program
gives you are generally just informative. Most of the programs it will
come up with are valid programs that you actually want running. You'll
have to go through the results and tell the program to delete unwanted
programs. If you can't figure out what some of the programs are, don't
just delete them, research them and/or post them so experts can let
you know what the program does. Just type the program name into google
which gets a decent answer pretty quickly.

Try downloading, installing and updating the
spyware removers from the links below. Run both of them.

Ad-aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Spybot S&D
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

If these don't correct the problem, then get yourself a copy of
BHODemon, available at
http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm .

It does not need installing - simply unzip and run the EXE program. It
is easy to use. It will find the hijackware DLL files, and give you
the ability to disable them.