Vga silencers

pHatmHat

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004
hi,

after much testing i have come to the conclusion that my new radeon 9800 pro is making loads of noise. i was looking on http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Other_Coolers_57.html and saw the artic cooling vga silencer for only £8.17.
before i buy it though i was just wondering is this cooler actually silent? (i am not too fused about overclocking as yet but this may be usefull in the future) if the artic cooling card is not quiet are there any other vga silencers you would recommend??

thanks

matt

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
You can adjust the fan speed, on low it's dead silent, on high, it's about stock noise.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

pHatmHat

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004
hi,

thanks for that info i think i will get one as its pretty cheap. do u know of any quiet psu's by any chance?

thanks

matt

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
VGA Silencer is definitely quiet, can't here it over PSU or stock HSF(P4 2.8c) in my system, which of cours eis why those are going to be next things to replace.

Lots of quiet power supplies available. Zalman makes some, PC Power and Cooling Silencers are good, Enermax Noisetakers are good. Personally, going with a PPC Silencer and adding some Blue LEDs to go with rest of my case.

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
Hey wow, that's the cooler that came on my Radeon 9800 Pro from HighTech. Yeah, it's completely soundless on "low" mode, but it also just barely provides enough cooling on high mode I think... the air coming out the back of it is quite warm. Low mode is useless, I just wouldn't trust it on a radeon 9800. (in high mode though, with everything else in the Antec Sonata case geared for minimum noise, I sometimes cannot tell if the puter is on or not.)

Also look at those crazy looking Zalman heatpipe coolers. I put one of those on a Quadro 4 750XGL that was overheating with its stock cooling, and not only could I not even hear the fan if I turned it on and put it next to my ear, but the heatsink was cool to the touch even during heavy graphics card use. It never went more than a couple degrees above case temp. And I'm sure it had a good thermal connection - I used Arctic Silver and made sure to triple-test the contact so I know all the GPU heat is going into the heatsink. I'm fairly sure that heatsink would cool the quadro without a fan at all - a 9800 Pro might be another thing though, but the fan is silent anyway!