Should I pickup Skyrim?? (Hated Oblivion)

So I tried playing The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on the Xbox 360 a long time ago and got really board quickly.. I think I got out if the sewers, wondered around for a few minutes and ended up giving up. I never really liked the controls, hunting seems so un-natrual and sluggish... It was really boring to be honest..

I've heard a lot of good things about Skyrim but don't want to buy it and never end up playing it like I did with Oblivion..

Is it basically the same game? Is it better on the PC? Maybe my bad experience was due to playing it on a console?

Thanks guys, Cheers!
9 answers Last reply
More about should pickup skyrim hated oblivion
  1. Skyrim is basically Oblivion with better graphics, better gameplay better controls etc.

It's a shame to miss out on it and I would definitely get it on PC. Max that baby out
  2. If you "hated" oblivion, I don't really see you liking Skyrim. It is the same type of game after all.

Played the game on an xbox? If you ask me, any game would be bad on an xbox, but if you have enjoyed any game on the xbox, it's probably not the systems fault that you don't like skyrim.
  3. hmmm probably going to skip it then... Not saying Oblivion was a horrible game, its a little to slow for me.. I usually play Quake Live, Crysis, faster paced games..

When I was playing MMO's, usually played Lineage 2 and WoW (a while ago), those are a little more fast paced then Skyrim type games..
  4. Kids these days. Always trying to blow through games as fast as possible. That's not the point of Skyrim folks. You do what you want, when you want. I hate how game sites try to pass off some of these newer games as "RPG" or "Action RPG", when really they are just interactive movies. If you have to follow a story to the letter and have no branching options, you're not playing an RPG. If your characters already have predefined stories that you have no control over, well that's really hard to define as an RPG too.

Skyrim is an RPG. You're right though, Oblivion was terrible. Bethesda really tripped up on that one, and I was utterly bored out of my mind with the repetitive Oblivion dungeons. No surprises in that game whatsoever (for me).
  5. kjoz said:
    hmmm probably going to skip it then... Not saying Oblivion was a horrible game, its a little to slow for me.. I usually play Quake Live, Crysis, faster paced games..

When I was playing MMO's, usually played Lineage 2 and WoW (a while ago), those are a little more fast paced then Skyrim type games..

I can't see how you find the Elder Scrolls too slow paced, yet liked Lineage 2 and WoW. From your description, you only played a little of the tutorial section. Perhaps you should have played it a little longer.
  6. TheMadFapper said:
    Kids these days. Always trying to blow through games as fast as possible. That's not the point of Skyrim folks. You do what you want, when you want. I hate how game sites try to pass off some of these newer games as "RPG" or "Action RPG", when really they are just interactive movies. If you have to follow a story to the letter and have no branching options, you're not playing an RPG. If your characters already have predefined stories that you have no control over, well that's really hard to define as an RPG too.

Skyrim is an RPG. You're right though, Oblivion was terrible. Bethesda really tripped up on that one, and I was utterly bored out of my mind with the repetitive Oblivion dungeons. No surprises in that game whatsoever (for me).

Its not that I want to finish the game early.. I played a few MMO's before for 8-9 hours a day for a few years when I was younger.. I don't know, I really hated the controls in Oblivion.. Hunting was so weird with that bow etc..

Anonymous said:
    I can't see how you find the Elder Scrolls too slow paced, yet liked Lineage 2 and WoW. From your description, you only played a little of the tutorial section. Perhaps you should have played it a little longer.

The reason I really loved Lineage 2 was that you could interact with other people and PK anyone any time and any where!! WoW was just fun because it was so popular and there was tons of people!
  7. if you do not like oblivion you will probably not like skyrim.

i tried both out on consoles (rented from redbox) and did not like the actual gameplay in either.

wow definitely has a different playstyle. i used to play guildwars so i prefer 3rd person skill based mmorpgs.

other good 3rd person rpg or similar games:

demons souls
    dark souls (sequel to above)
    age of amalur: reckoning
    dark kingdom
    dungeon siege iii
    dragons dogma
    sacred2

i've played all of the above on console and all are at minimum "good" to "great"

guildwars 2 may be to your liking if you liked wow but may not be to your liking if you liked guildwars 1.

there have not been many good releases in the rpg category except perhaps some pc itterations of the above console games.
  8. ssddx said:
    if you do not like oblivion you will probably not like skyrim.

i tried both out on consoles (rented from redbox) and did not like the actual gameplay in either.

wow definitely has a different playstyle. i used to play guildwars so i prefer 3rd person skill based mmorpgs.

other good 3rd person rpg or similar games:

demons souls
    dark souls (sequel to above)
    age of amalur: reckoning
    dark kingdom
    dungeon siege iii
    dragons dogma
    sacred2

i've played all of the above on console and all are at minimum "good" to "great"

guildwars 2 may be to your liking if you liked wow but may not be to your liking if you liked guildwars 1.

there have not been many good releases in the rpg category except perhaps some pc itterations of the above console games.

nice dude, thanks for the recommendations!! I am actually waiting for Lineage Eternal.. Looks like D3 but 100% times better lol

Don't feel like getting suckered into another MMO, you need to put sooo much time into it!
  9. i've never been a diablo fan but wanted to try d3. too bad it looks like a big flop.

lineage II definitely had the "look" i like in rpg games but i'm not into the pvp aspect as much as co op.

dragons dogma and to a slightly lesser extent, reckoning were great. single player rpg which doesnt require much time invested for fun. you can easily spend a few hours here or there without much trouble.

the same goes for dark souls but due to the rather ....difficult nature of the game you may want to play the game through without very long breaks as you lose practice with the controls and that could get you into dicey situations later on.

Ask a new question

Read More

Oblivion Xbox 360 Skyrim Video Games