Can anybody help!?!

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Ok, I know this is the CPU section, but bare with me. This seems to be the most popular section and since my problem doesn't involve just one component, I'd figure I'd fire away here. Here's my problem:

I have my system overclocked to 3.25Ghz. It's been that way for months and passes 12hrs no prob in Prime95. I've even had it up to 3.4Ghz but backed it off. My PSU died recently and my SATA HDD disappeared on me.(in windows) It's had issues ever since, even though diagnostic testing says it's OK. I also have a regular IDE HDD. I installed XP on that drive until I get a replacement for my SATA drive. Everything overclocks normally and I have no problems with gaming or benchmarking. Figuring I'd give my SATA drive one last shot, I low-level formatted it, partitioned it, and reinstalled XP on it. (It wouldn't let install XP without low-level formatting - I think the boot sector was screwed up or something) Everything was fine and my CPU/RAM benchmark scores were even higher than they were before the PSU incident. Graphic benchmarks are another story. Anytime I run a 3D benchmark, boom, system goes down with my HDD activity LED stuck on. My mobo also has problems seeing the SATA drive when I reset. I have to power down completely. Never had this problem before. What's wierd is that when I run the benchmarks under the OS installed on my regular IDE drive, they run immaculately. SO, after all that, if you're still with me, what gives? Is my SATA HDD truely shot or is my Southbridge chip shot? Somebody please help!! Thanks.

<font color=blue>Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 2.6C @ 3.25Ghz, 1GB Geil Platinum PC4000, Antec TruePower 430, Swiftech MCX4000 w/Sanyo Denki 92mm - 26 deg idle.</font color=blue>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
just look below at my sig. I never had an overclocking prob before my PSU died. It's wierd. Everything works flawlessly on the IDE. Only 3D benchmarks/games have issues on the SATA. Prime95 goes for hours on end, Sandra benchmarks work and so does PCMark2002.

<font color=blue>Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 2.6C @ 3.25Ghz, 1GB Geil Platinum PC4000, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Audigy 2, Antec TrueBlue 480, 2x120GB Maxtor DM+9's: 1 SATA, 1 PATA, Plextor DVD+RW, Plextor CD-RW.</font color=blue>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
LOL!!! I just ran PCMark2002 on the SATA drive and it was acting very strange. Then I got my scores:

CPU - 136,
Mem - 174,
HDD - 23

Now that deserves braggin' rights!

<font color=blue>Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 2.6C @ 3.25Ghz, 1GB Geil Platinum PC4000, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Audigy 2, Antec TrueBlue 480, 2x120GB Maxtor DM+9's: 1 SATA, 1 PATA, Plextor DVD+RW, Plextor CD-RW.</font color=blue>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
yep, defnitely locked AGP/PCI at 66/33. Yeah, the SATA is still under warranty. It's a Maxtor, and Maxtor makes you run the PowerMax diagnostic tool to find problems. It can't find any, so I can't get a code to RMA it. My buddy put my SATA drive in his system as a secondary drive and could only access it in Safe Mode. Got the BSoD under normal conditions. I also got a "disk read error" from the SATA. So is it the drive or my Southbridge?

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Be sure to use the Advanced RMA offered by Maxtor so you could get the new drive before you send your old one in, then you can use their packaging, then they can't b*tch about it.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
already taken care of. PowerMax keeps saying my drive's fine, but it gave my friend's Dell the BSoD, so I'm sure the actual disks might be fine, it's the drive mechanics/chips that might be a little testy. Anyway, the only way around PowerMax is to state that the drive can't be detected by the system. Auto-RMA. And since I did have that problem at times, it's all good. And the Advanced Replacement is in progress. Did it this afternoon. Thanks though. Keepin' the fingers crossed till wednesday...