eliot

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2004
Heya

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I can't find any definitive answers.

I'm looking at O/Cing my CPU to gimme a bit more grunt, I've tried adjusting the FSB and the DRAM settings but I need to now the optimal/recommended way to O/C.

I have;
P4 2.8c (Stock Cooling)
Asus P4P800
TwinMOS 2x512 dual channel @ PC3200

FSB:DRAM - 1:1 at the moment.

I'm not sure how to adjust RAM timings on the P4P800 retail BIOS, but the timings are 2.5,3,3,8

I'll probably be getting much better RAM in the near future, as well as a better CPU cooler. Just like to know if I should attempt to OC now, as I'd like to.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't think you'll be able to get much extra speed out of that RAM, you'll probably have to underclock it in order to get a larger overclock from the CPU. Set AI overclocking to Manual, CPU core voltage to 1.65v, DRAM to "333MHz", and CPU bus speed to 233MHz. See if that's stable.

Setting DRAM speed to 333 (or 320), then overclocking your CPU bus to 233, brings your RAM speed back up to DDR373, just short of it's rated DDR400 speed. The other option, 400, overclocks it to DDR466, probably too high for the RAM you have.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

eliot

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2004
Wasn't stable at the above settings (ran at 3.26ghz)

I'm going to try and see if it's stable at just over 3ghz, but I don't have a good feeling. The RAM is temporary, until I can afford something better.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I usually start out with what I consider to be a safe voltage for stability, then slowly drop the voltage until I find the lowest one that works with the given speed. I probably should have mentioned that.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
On the Asus board 1.65V is a little more, Asus overvolts, so go to 1.625, it'll overvolt to about 1.65V anyways.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>