Big Ass Fans???

DuncMac

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2001
Isn't there something up a size from a 120mm fan.

I've got a spare side panel for my case and a psu with and external 4pin molex.

Edit: no desk fan suggestions...

I know I could go with 2 or even 4 120mm fans but would prefer one large quiet one, pref something easy to get hold of.

Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by duncmac on 04/26/04 08:08 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
they got 160 mm fans. two 120 mm fans at a decent speed is more airflow than you will ever need though, and still be quiet.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring valve security module!

PukePile

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004
just open up your case and get a big room fan blowing on that bad boy.

Aquamark score of 34,306 Goal 38,000
<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=612704152" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=612704152</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I've used 8" fans for ventilation in bathrooms, I believe 12v versions exist, there are also 12v fans for cooling car radiators if you're looking for something even bigger.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
Careful, with that much air being sucked out of the case, you might have CDs start being sucked into the drive like a vacuum hose and never seen again!

Seriously though - if you put too much airflow in a case, you will start hearing noise from the air entering the little cracks and holes in it, and it will get louder. So if you get something big, get it adjustable.

Also the easiest way by far to cut a fan hole in a case is by using a hole saw. The holes come out perfectly round and are easy to clean the metal burrs off of. So you might want to consider what the largest hole saw you can get is, along with what fan you're going to get. (largest I saw in Lowe's was something like 115mm, a 107mm or so is just right for 120mm fans.) I just mean if you get a really big fan, you'll be stuck using a hacksaw and dremel, whereas multiple 120mm fan holes would take you all of 5 minutes to cut. (just did three of those in my new workstation case.)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Don't forget that larger holes are easier to get "round", and you can use a jigsaw to cut them. Of course that will leave ripples unless you attach a board over the cut to brace the metal.

Time to get out the plasma cutter!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
This is true... but hole saws make it perfect in about 30 seconds. They're very nice. Plus, when you put a fan grill or a fan on the hole, you will have a "perfect" circle right up against your hole, so imperfections will be more obvious. 'Course, if you plan on a fan grille that obscures the hole enough, none of it matters. I'm putting filters on my fan holes and the hole will be completely invisible, so I suppose a hacksaw or SawsAll would have done just as good a job.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First you have to find me an 8" holesaw, then you have to tell me how to make it work!

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
I don't think 8" hole saws exist... But if you got a hole cut for that fan and mounted it, all you'd need is a 24v power supply. I guess it would be a bad idea to try to draw power from the PSU's existing 12v and -12v leads to get 24v, because that fan uses over 3 amps - dissipates as much power as a high end GPU! Anyway you could get a separate discrete DC converter from Radio Shack, use a 5v relay plugged in to one of your PC's power connectors to switch the power to the DC converter, and plug the DC outputs to the fan and you're all set it'll turn on and off with your PC.

Again though better be careful, this thing would suck floppies out of your fingers and through the floppy drive slot from two feet away! :lol:

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
Hole saws are for pussy modders, jigsaw is the way to go!
Pussy modders who can cut three 120mm holes in a case in under 10 minutes and have all three look perfectly round and smooth? :tongue:
12V will do the job, but will require higher amp from the +12V line. (Use P=VI)
But, if you use the 12v line, you won't get the full 400+ CFM of airflow! Things might overheat in there! :lol:

And btw, that formula is wrong - it's true if you assume the fan draws the same wattage on a 24 line as a 12 line, but electronics don't work that way. You could use V=IR and determine that it will draw half the current on a 12v line as a 24v line, but motors are non-ohmic devices so that isn't completely accurate either, but it's closer.

(picture a bucket of water with a hole in the bottom. You would be saying if you only put half the height of water in the bucket, then twice as much water squirts out the hole as if it were full.)