beccabob

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
who makes the best p4 power supplies & coolers for a dell 4400? anyone? pc sits inside a compartment in a desk and dont want to take any chances with dell's stock set-up????

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Didn't see an answer to your question and I don't want to discourage new users.

If you put your PC into a closed desk, the heat in the desk may be 100F or more. This means that a really good heat sink has to make up over 30F over ambient room air. Well, there is NO possible way an air type heat sink/fan will manage this differential at any price. Water CPU cooling may do better, but it still is limited to air that is 100F. Water-cooling can only cool to the air temp in a 100% efficient system, and they aren't.

So, my answer is to put a vent and fan on the backside of the enclosure so you have to PC in close to ambient air temps and you're all set. A stock Dell is a very well engineered system for PC cooling. Just give what you have a chance to work, and it will.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Dell often use special PSU's which are slightly different to the ATX standard. This means that when changing your PSU you have to buy it from dell because other powersupplies dont fit.

The Hyper6 is supposed to be the best CPU cooler on the market, but again it is not certain that this will fit in you Dell case.

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Dell doesn't use the different power supplies anymore, to my knowledge, even if they did though, others make Dell compatible power supplies, as it's jsut a few pins changed on the ATX connector and sometimes one extra connector. PC Power & Cooling makes them, and others do too, thoguh I don't remember any others off the top of my head.