steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I have a gateway 600X laptop, about 1.5 years old. Lately, I
often (not always) get the following message shortly after booting
up the computer. "The advanced features of your TouchPad have
been disabled because the Synaptics TouchPad driver has detected
another pointing device plugged into your computer". I have not
seen any difference in the occasions when I get this message and
the occasions when I do not. For a while, I did use an external
mouse, but have not in quite some time. This message started
appearing long after I stopped using the external mouse so I am
not sure it is related. How can I get the Synaptics TouchPad
driver to no longer 'detect' something that is not there? TIA,
Steve

The only thing I could suggest, and you've probably already done it, is to
remove the other pointing device's drivers as long as you are not using the
other device.

When I installed my Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse for notebooks, I
remember the installation program saying something about a "Synaptics
TouchPad" being detected and it would set itself up so either device could
be used, or something like that. I don't really care for that touchpad
thingy.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Turner