Adding 7200 rpm HD to old G-450

I was recently given a relatives unwanted older Dell
computer carcass which had in it a 20 GB 7200 RPM Maxtor HD. I own a
G-450 with a better video card and such than the Dells, but space is
tight with the 13 GB 5400 drive so I would very much like to add the
Maxtor to my system. I know I can just add it as a slave to the old
drive but it's my understanding that if I do that I won't benefit from
the increased speed of the drive. If I set it as the master..I
imagine I would have to reinstall windows and all my programs? Is
there software that can just kinda move everything over? :P I have no
CD writer so my backups are limited to my very most precious files on
floppies and I would hate to lose everything I haven't got on them by
doing something stupid. If anyone has some pointers or perhaps the url
for a good how-to on this I would be very appreciative,
TIA
May
"Not all who wander are lost"

-J.R.R. Tolkien
1 answer Last reply
More about adding 7200

    MaxBlast 3 copied my system drive to my new Maxtor drive no problemo...

    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/maxblast3.htm

    "May" <ladynospammay@snip.net> wrote in message

    > I was recently given a relatives unwanted older Dell
    > computer carcass which had in it a 20 GB 7200 RPM Maxtor HD. I own a
    > G-450 with a better video card and such than the Dells, but space is
    > tight with the 13 GB 5400 drive so I would very much like to add the
    > Maxtor to my system. I know I can just add it as a slave to the old
    > drive but it's my understanding that if I do that I won't benefit from
    > the increased speed of the drive. If I set it as the master..I
    > imagine I would have to reinstall windows and all my programs? Is
    > there software that can just kinda move everything over? :P I have no
    > CD writer so my backups are limited to my very most precious files on
    > floppies and I would hate to lose everything I haven't got on them by
    > doing something stupid. If anyone has some pointers or perhaps the url
    > for a good how-to on this I would be very appreciative,
    > TIA
    > May
    > "Not all who wander are lost"
    >
    > -J.R.R. Tolkien