TransFlash on Motorola V710 Doesn't Work

Last response: in Network Providers
a b G Storage
June 13, 2005 3:09:24 AM

I just received my Motorola V710 phone a couple of days ago. One of the
main reasons I choose this phone over other camera phones was the ability to
use the phone as MP3 player. I bought a transflash card and copied my MP3s
to the card from my computer with ease. The problem is the phone won't
access the card. The phone will gives the details (type, space, etc) of the
card under Storage Devices and under Media Gallery->Sounds will let me
switch Storage Device to the card, but nothing more. If I then try to
access Sounds, nothing happens. I've also switched the camera to store
images to the card, but when I take a picture it says storage failure. The
manual doesn't say much about the memory card, but it does say there's a
"rename" and "reformat" option under the Storage Device menu. Those options
don't appear on my phone. Since I have no problems using the card on my
computer, I don't think the card is bad. I've been hearing that Verizon has
crippled V710. Is this the lastest feature the have disabled? My phone
has software version is 8700_01.40.0R What's going on?

Janis
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 13, 2005 2:50:58 PM

There is a format option on the phone. Format the card and try again. I had
to format mine, also.

"Janis K" <janisk@transactiondesign.com> wrote in message
>I just received my Motorola V710 phone a couple of days ago. One of the
>main reasons I choose this phone over other camera phones was the ability
>to use the phone as MP3 player. I bought a transflash card and copied my
>MP3s to the card from my computer with ease. The problem is the phone
>won't access the card. The phone will gives the details (type, space, etc)
>of the card under Storage Devices and under Media Gallery->Sounds will let
>me switch Storage Device to the card, but nothing more. If I then try to
>access Sounds, nothing happens. I've also switched the camera to store
>images to the card, but when I take a picture it says storage failure. The
>manual doesn't say much about the memory card, but it does say there's a
>"rename" and "reformat" option under the Storage Device menu. Those
>options don't appear on my phone. Since I have no problems using the card
>on my computer, I don't think the card is bad. I've been hearing that
>Verizon has crippled V710. Is this the lastest feature the have disabled?
>My phone has software version is 8700_01.40.0R What's going on?
>
> Janis

Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 13, 2005 2:50:59 PM

Thanks. Got it working. The format option wasn't quite where the manual
said it would be. Is there a way to get the player to play in random order?

"Strike" <Strikeme@noclass.rr.com> wrote in message
> There is a format option on the phone. Format the card and try again. I
> had to format mine, also.
>
> "Janis K" <janisk@transactiondesign.com> wrote in message
>>I just received my Motorola V710 phone a couple of days ago. One of the
>>main reasons I choose this phone over other camera phones was the ability
>>to use the phone as MP3 player. I bought a transflash card and copied my
>>MP3s to the card from my computer with ease. The problem is the phone
>>won't access the card. The phone will gives the details (type, space,
>>etc) of the card under Storage Devices and under Media Gallery->Sounds
>>will let me switch Storage Device to the card, but nothing more. If I
>>then try to access Sounds, nothing happens. I've also switched the camera
>>to store images to the card, but when I take a picture it says storage
>>failure. The manual doesn't say much about the memory card, but it does
>>say there's a "rename" and "reformat" option under the Storage Device
>>menu. Those options don't appear on my phone. Since I have no problems
>>using the card on my computer, I don't think the card is bad. I've been
>>hearing that Verizon has crippled V710. Is this the lastest feature the
>>have disabled? My phone has software version is 8700_01.40.0R What's
>>going on?
>>
>> Janis

Related resources
June 13, 2005 3:35:28 PM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 23:09:24 -0700, "Janis K"
<janisk@transactiondesign.com> wrote:

> Since I have no problems using the card on my
>computer, I don't think the card is bad. I've been hearing that Verizon has
>crippled V710. Is this the lastest feature the have disabled? My phone
>has software version is 8700_01.40.0R What's going on?

I'm not sure why you can't store phone images there - you should be
able to do that with no problem. But the phone will not, if I
remember right, play MP3s directly off the TF card. Try copying them
to phone memory (using the phone itself) and then play them.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 14, 2005 5:26:40 AM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:35:28 -0400, Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 23:09:24 -0700, "Janis K"
><janisk@transactiondesign.com> wrote:
>
>> Since I have no problems using the card on my
>>computer, I don't think the card is bad. I've been hearing that Verizon has
>>crippled V710. Is this the lastest feature the have disabled? My phone
>>has software version is 8700_01.40.0R What's going on?
>
>I'm not sure why you can't store phone images there - you should be
>able to do that with no problem. But the phone will not, if I
>remember right, play MP3s directly off the TF card. Try copying them
>to phone memory (using the phone itself) and then play them.

This is incorrect:MP3s do not have to be on the phone to play them,
they only have to be on the phone if you want the MP3 to be a ringer.

scruff
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 14, 2005 9:18:42 AM

Strike wrote:
> There is a format option on the phone. Format the card and try again. I had
> to format mine, also.

I didn't format the TF card, and it seems to work just fine both in the
phone and in the SD adapter on my PC. I've moved pictures both ways
without problems. It might be the current version of the phone software
is smarter than the older software (the release notes for
8700_01.40.0R mentioned that support for "hot swapping" the TF card
while the phone is on was added in that version). Or it could be that
the particular card which I got directly from Motorola was pre-formatted.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 14, 2005 1:20:24 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 01:26:40 GMT, scruff <s@bitart.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:35:28 -0400, Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 23:09:24 -0700, "Janis K"
>><janisk@transactiondesign.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Since I have no problems using the card on my
>>>computer, I don't think the card is bad. I've been hearing that Verizon has
>>>crippled V710. Is this the lastest feature the have disabled? My phone
>>>has software version is 8700_01.40.0R What's going on?
>>
>>I'm not sure why you can't store phone images there - you should be
>>able to do that with no problem. But the phone will not, if I
>>remember right, play MP3s directly off the TF card. Try copying them
>>to phone memory (using the phone itself) and then play them.
>
>This is incorrect:MP3s do not have to be on the phone to play them,
>they only have to be on the phone if you want the MP3 to be a ringer.
>
>scruff

I second that. MP3's play fine off of the TF card.

cv
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 15, 2005 2:29:07 PM

Here's the trick: The transflash chip must be formatted BY THE PHONE.
Take the chip out of the phone, erase it, put it back in the phone and
format it in the phone! You'll need a chip read/write device ($25) to
get the sounds,pics etc onto the chip. Manuel for this phone really one
of the worst I've ever seen. Makes a serviceable coaster.

In article <1118766026.dee12e5aafa3201cd55313d513476033@teranews>,
Charles Vegman <vegSNIPman@aztecfreenet.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 01:26:40 GMT, scruff <s@bitart.com> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:35:28 -0400, Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >>I'm not sure why you can't store phone images there - you should be
> >>able to do that with no problem. But the phone will not, if I
> >>remember right, play MP3s directly off the TF card. Try copying them
> >>to phone memory (using the phone itself) and then play them.
> >
> >This is incorrect:MP3s do not have to be on the phone to play them,
> >they only have to be on the phone if you want the MP3 to be a ringer.
> >
> >scruff
>
> I second that. MP3's play fine off of the TF card.
>
> cv
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 16, 2005 9:15:27 AM

lasthonest2004 wrote:
> Here's the trick: The transflash chip must be formatted BY THE PHONE.
> Take the chip out of the phone, erase it, put it back in the phone and
> format it in the phone! You'll need a chip read/write device ($25) to
> get the sounds,pics etc onto the chip.

How come some people can't get anything to work with the TF without
first formatting it on the phone, and others (like me) have never
formatted it and it works fine in both the phone and the SD adapter?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 16, 2005 6:55:34 PM

CharlesH wrote:
> lasthonest2004 wrote:
>> Here's the trick: The transflash chip must be formatted BY THE PHONE.
>> Take the chip out of the phone, erase it, put it back in the phone
>> and format it in the phone! You'll need a chip read/write device
>> ($25) to get the sounds,pics etc onto the chip.
>
> How come some people can't get anything to work with the TF without
> first formatting it on the phone, and others (like me) have never
> formatted it and it works fine in both the phone and the SD adapter?

There are two software versions; those that did not update the older
version have more capabilities with TF than those with the newer
version. Posters should report the software version installed on the
phone.

a b G Storage
June 17, 2005 10:17:28 AM

Quaoar wrote:
> CharlesH wrote:
>
>>lasthonest2004 wrote:
>>
>>>Here's the trick: The transflash chip must be formatted BY THE PHONE.
>>>Take the chip out of the phone, erase it, put it back in the phone
>>>and format it in the phone! You'll need a chip read/write device
>>>($25) to get the sounds,pics etc onto the chip.
>>
>>How come some people can't get anything to work with the TF without
>>first formatting it on the phone, and others (like me) have never
>>formatted it and it works fine in both the phone and the SD adapter?
>
> There are two software versions; those that did not update the older
> version have more capabilities with TF than those with the newer
> version. Posters should report the software version installed on the
> phone.

I thought that the newer software made TF more robust (by supporting hot
swap with the phone on), and the only TF feature that VZW had them
disable was the audio TF->Phone menu.
!