mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
I have a stupid question, so please ignore me or give serious answer-I am acknowledging this is stupid-so please no flaming.
I have a thermatake case with a temp probe. I have heard you should not put the probe between the cpu and heatsink-ok, where is the best location to get the most accerate cpu temp reading. Right now I have it on the side of the heatsink. This tempature is about 20C lower than what reads on m/b program, average load-surfing net(Probe 26C, MSI's PC Alert 4 44C).

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
check the installation guide of your case dude, there its explained how to put the temp probe, which is underneath the cpu before you place it in the socket

SL6EF OC's GOOD

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
aha, there u go. Check thermaltake website maybe it states exactly how with pictures and all (maybe). Anyway, normally there's a piece of tape delivered with the thing. You want to stick the thing to the back of the cpu and make sure the two thin wires leading to the probe are nicely between the pins so they don't give problems when u place the cpu in it's socket.

DO NOT use arctic silver or something to paste it to the back of the cpu it does conduct and will damage the thing just don't use anything conductive, I guess if you don't have the tape that was delivered with it don't glue it but just put it in the socket (it'll get warm enough).

I don't put the probe on the cpu btw but i shoved it between the heatsink and the GPU on my 9800 pro caus there's no temp reading there. I just go by what asus probe tells ùe for the cpu temps, maybe it's wrong but what the heel at least the error should be constant and i know which temp is to high so...

SL6EF OC's GOOD

robertk

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
aarghh!
dont put the probe between the die and the heatsink or you will have a crushed die(warranty dissapears through window)
if you ndo fit it put it between die and rubber support. makesure your cooler still lies perfectly flat on the die and rubber supports.