BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I was told alot of the new motherboards are not supporting win98. I have installed 98 on the biostar m7vig pro with no problem. A friend of mine want to buy his mobo now for several years down the road so he will have one that does support win98. I told him the warranty would probaly be out and it depends on how long you could keep electronis sitting arould. Is there going to be boards in the futhure that will support 98? I have a friend at a pC shop and he said microsoft will not let him install 98 on new computers.Is this true. Thanks Bruce

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Current chipsets have 98 support. As for your friend, it depends on his deal with MS. Some shops deal with MS directly, others buy their software from distributors. If he can still find and purchase legal, new licences from distributors, MS can't stop him...except that it might violate his license with MS. So shops that buy their software from other sources have more flexibility than those who buy from MS.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
Thanks for the fast reply. I have built about 12 systems and he would like me to build him one with win98. I research all the parts I buy for a system so there is compatibility.I have a good repartition for good stable systems. He wants 98 because any updated software for his business will cost a fortune. His software works well with 98 but if he goes to XP then the new software will really cost him. Thanks Bruce

Windows XP has a compatability mode, allowing it to run programs designed for other Windows Versions. Perhaps he doesn't know this. XP is far superior to 98. No flaming please.

<A HREF="http://www.tubgirl.com" target="_new">Don't Click This - Please!</A>

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
Yes he knows this but I think the company has put safegauards in so it doesn't and they can make more money. Bruce

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
I use and prefer 98 for my office and gaming systems. 98 is to be supported till '05 or '06. So as far as new mobo, juct check to make sure they offer chipset drivers for 98. I recently upgraded to the NF7-S, no probs with 98.

I'm not aware of any warranty issue's if usuing 98, I've rma'd the nf7-s and had no prob's

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE