Sign in with
Your question

Best GPU for i7

Last response: in Video Games
February 2, 2013 3:29:44 PM

I'm so confused! Benchmarks on the net say one thing, then people say the other...

I'm getting myself i7-3930K CPU with 64GB RAM because prefer the power of Intel to AMD's. But I'd like to get the best GPU currently available on the market for gaming, and I was wondering if Radeons go with Intel and if so, how should I go about it?

My PC is being built, and the top GPU options that I'm presented with are the ones below (they dont have anything better):
- 4GB 680
- 4GB 690
- 3GB HD7970

I have 3 options that I can afford:
- buy two 680s (the most expensive one)
- buy one 690
- buy two 7970s (the cheapest)

Which would you say would get me the best performance? I'm buying PC for gaming and video editing.

More about : gpu

February 2, 2013 3:49:34 PM

I prefer Nvidia with intel so I suggest you get two 680s.
That is because they overclock better than a 690.
But be warned , with 2 GPUs heating will sky rocket so you better have a good cooling system. Also power consumption will be a lot more than a single 690 but overclocking will get you better performance with two 680s.
So it's your choice.
Going green (with single 690 and less power consumption) or going mean (with two 680s and more power consumption but better performance)
February 2, 2013 4:11:34 PM

Powka said:
I'm so confused! Benchmarks on the net say one thing, then people say the other...

I'm getting myself i7-3930K CPU with 64GB RAM because prefer the power of Intel to AMD's. But I'd like to get the best GPU currently available on the market for gaming, and I was wondering if Radeons go with Intel and if so, how should I go about it?

My PC is being built, and the top GPU options that I'm presented with are the ones below (they dont have anything better):
- 4GB 680
- 4GB 690
- 3GB HD7970

I have 3 options that I can afford:
- buy two 680s (the most expensive one)
- buy one 690
- buy two 7970s (the cheapest)

Which would you say would get me the best performance? I'm buying PC for gaming and video editing.

Hi :) 

Here is mine..better than ALL of those...best gaming card in the World AT THE MOMENT...

http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_features.asp?id=4...

You would need an 850 psu though, and the card not cheap :) 

I use them in gaming computers we build in my Computer shops...and I use one myself...

All the best Brett :) 
Related resources
February 2, 2013 4:15:57 PM

I'd say get the single 690, and there is reasons to that.

First of all, games these days run smoother with nVidia cards. ATi/AMD... it's slightly fuzzy. ATi/AMD are just more budget cards for people who don't always have money for nVidia. However, even though they are very similar in performance, ATi/AMD can run a little fuzzier in games then nVidia.

Second, don't expect every game to be SLi compatible. Some games you may get a performance increase, some you may get the performance out of one card, and some you may even get a decrease in performance!

Third, you're expecting a big amount of electricity out of 2 680s.

Fourth, just think of all that heat 2 680's will be drawing to each other.

By all means, go with a single 690. I highly recommend it.
February 2, 2013 4:18:37 PM

I would say either 680 or 7970 would serve you equally well. In benchmarks they pretty much trade blows. I personally prefer nVidia because:

- more overclocking headroom: 680 is highly overclockable
- SLI seems more mature than Crossfire (this is hearsay, I don't know because I have never used crossfire).
- nVidia has better power consumption, so less demanding on your PSU

There is no issue of compatibility. Both are equally good with Intel CPUs.

One question, why are you getting 64GB? There are very few situations in which 64 is any better than 16.
February 2, 2013 4:23:56 PM

storm slider said:
I'd say get the single 690, and there is reasons to that.

First of all, games these days run smoother with nVidia cards. ATi/AMD... it's slightly fuzzy. ATi/AMD are just more budget cards for people who don't always have money for nVidia. However, even though they are very similar in performance, ATi/AMD can run a little fuzzier in games then nVidia.

Second, don't expect every game to be SLi compatible. Some games you may get a performance increase, some you may get the performance out of one card, and some you may even get a decrease in performance!

Third, you're expecting a big amount of electricity out of 2 680s.

Fourth, just think of all that heat 2 680's will be drawing to each other.

By all means, go with a single 690. I highly recommend it.

Absolute load of TOSH.... fuzzy lollllllllllllllllllll
February 2, 2013 4:26:20 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Absolute load of TOSH.... fuzzy lollllllllllllllllllll

I can't find the word for it... maybe itchy? I have no idea. Point being, I'll just say nVidia runs smoother on games if it were to have the same performance as an ATi/AMD card would. And also, I doubt he'll be needing 6GB video RAM. It's uncommon to find people that would need even 3 - 4GB vram.
February 2, 2013 4:34:04 PM

storm slider said:
I can't find the word for it... maybe itchy? I have no idea. Point being, I'll just say nVidia runs smoother on games if it were to have the same performance as an ATi/AMD card would. And also, I doubt he'll be needing 6GB video RAM. It's uncommon to find people that would need even 3 - 4GB vram.

YOU need a new video card if you have problems like that...

I didn't just pay £760/$1000 FOR A FUZZY CARD LOL...

February 2, 2013 4:42:04 PM

bwrlane said:
I would say either 680 or 7970 would serve you equally well. In benchmarks they pretty much trade blows. I personally prefer nVidia because:

- more overclocking headroom: 680 is highly overclockable
- SLI seems more mature than Crossfire (this is hearsay, I don't know because I have never used crossfire).
- nVidia has better power consumption, so less demanding on your PSU

There is no issue of compatibility. Both are equally good with Intel CPUs.

One question, why are you getting 64GB? There are very few situations in which 64 is any better than 16.

I'm editing and rendering A LOT of videos every day, so I need the fastest performance possible. Seeing as rendering is CPU and RAM dependent, I'm just going for the max I can afford. I will probably get i7-3970X also, if I'm going to go with 690 GPU.
February 2, 2013 4:43:53 PM

Brett928S2 said:

YOU need a new video card if you have problems like that...

I didn't just pay £760/$1000 FOR A FUZZY CARD LOL...

So the price for the GPU you've mentioned is the same as for 690, but you're saying it clearly outperforms the 690? How come it's not so popular if for the same price you get more?
February 2, 2013 4:44:40 PM

As I mentioned earlier if you don't want power consumption and overheating problems due to an insufficient cooling system then go with a single 690 but if performance is all that matters to you and you are willing to manage the power consumption and heating problems then go with two 680 definitely.
February 2, 2013 4:45:51 PM

Powka said:
So the price for the GPU you've mentioned is the same as for 690, but you're saying it clearly outperforms the 690? How come it's not so popular if for the same price you get more?

SEARCH Toms... there is a benchmarking review... it WAY outperforms a 690...

February 2, 2013 4:47:14 PM

First sorry for misspells or errors typing on phone. If you can find a geforce titian which is a version of a 680 coming out or just came out for $800 and according to maxuim PC is more powerful or at the least as strong at a 690. It will be tough to find though. Nvidia is not sure if its going to go into mass production like 680 and 690s. But both have pros and cons. If you get a 690 I believe invidia is the only version you can get so you can not get MSI or Asus version which would cool better and it is a massive card (2 680s after all) unless your mobo GPU slots (PCI slots) are far apart you maybe only be able to fit one unless you have 4 slots you can later sli two 690s. BUT it will consume less power and be less heat vs two 680s. Now two 680s are but more powerful then single 690 bust require more power. Now for the heat it depends if you get MSI or Asus versions it may only be little more heat. My MSI 680 cools amazingly well so when I sli and get another I'm not to worried about heat. What I think its comes down to is if your mobo can fit 2 690s one for now one for future then get 690s if you can only fit one then get 680s so you can add a third later assuming you mobo support 3 PCI slots. Or if you fins a titan 680 than your a lucky man. Either way very nice build.
February 2, 2013 4:56:56 PM

Brett928S2 said:

SEARCH Toms... there is a benchmarking review... it WAY outperforms a 690...

How come it's cheaper? There's gotta be the reason for it.
February 2, 2013 5:11:34 PM

Powka said:
How come it's cheaper? There's gotta be the reason for it.

In the UK , they are both roughly the same price.... I sell both in my shops...

February 2, 2013 5:12:48 PM

Brett is right about that monster 7990 being really good (and actually quite good value), but it's hardly a card for everyone. It uses 3 PCIe slots, is enormous in length and uses a load of power. It's also quite hard to get hold of because it's not an AMD reference design, but a bespoke dual-gpu setup. If none of those put you off, it's pretty epic.
Reason it's cheaper is because of the way graphics cards are priced. With single cards you pay X amount of money on top of a base number and gradually get diminishing returns for that amount as you go higher. A GTX690 isn't twice as good as a GTX680, but because it is priced to compete against GTX680 SLI (as essentially, that's what it is) it has to be very expensive. Similarly, a 7990 is priced to compete with 7970 Xfire, which are a fair bit cheaper. The actual performance of the card is in many ways irrelevant to the price.

There's also a lot of rubbish in this thread. Surely any of the setups mentioned experience very similar issues with Xfire/SLI because all of them include 2 GPUs?
February 2, 2013 5:33:50 PM

Powka said:
I'm editing and rendering A LOT of videos every day, so I need the fastest performance possible. Seeing as rendering is CPU and RAM dependent, I'm just going for the max I can afford. I will probably get i7-3970X also, if I'm going to go with 690 GPU.

In that case I would recommend nVidia. Cuda has better support than OpenCL for video rendering.

One word of warning if you decide on 2x680 and use Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 (this is my setup).

If you use the GPU accelerated rendering engine then you have to disable SLI before using Premiere Pro. At least that's my experience.
February 3, 2013 4:29:27 PM

Go with 2x680
More potential with overheating and power consumption problems.
But I'm guessing they won't be problems for you if you get a closed loop liquid cooling system like the Corsair H100
February 3, 2013 4:35:39 PM

I'd say go for the GTX 690.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-devi...

"Efficiency Winner: EVGA GeForce GTX 690

Both cards based on AMD's highest-end GPUs draw power like there is no tomorrow (or at least like you won't have a bill to pay at the end of the month). They even manage to blow past the theoretical 525 W limit defined by the PCI-SIG electromechanical specification for three eight-pin connectors and a 16-lane slot.

EVGA's GeForce GTX 690 draws a lot less power, and what it does consume it uses more efficiently. The card only takes up two slots. Plus, it's the quietest board in our round-up"
!