Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will Cingular ever add some new phones to their lineup???

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 7:22:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I have been waiting for a while checking everyday for Cingular to add some
new quality phones to their lineup.

I read in the posts that the V600 might be in sometime in May!!! I hope
there are some others like the Nokia 6820...

Anyone know of any ideas of whats going on here??? Or is cingular waiting to
combine stock on the shelf with AT&T when they come together later in the
year???

AT&T just added a few new ones a couple of months ago and Cingular has the
same old phones from last year...

BTW I am currently an AT&T user (TDMA) and would like to "switch" to GSM and
"port" over Cingular before they really become one with AT&T. I want to do
this so I can get a better rate for the phone and a better deal on some rate
plans. AT&T is really not into selling me a phone at a "new customer"
price!!! But ever so eager to add another year or two to my contract!!!

tIa
April 27, 2004 12:09:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

If you don't need Bluetooth, you should check out the V400. Excellent, high
quality, quad-band phone.



Erik.



"DKH" <whome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:Qf%ic.11365$gH6.4311@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> I have been waiting for a while checking everyday for Cingular to add some
> new quality phones to their lineup.
>
> I read in the posts that the V600 might be in sometime in May!!! I hope
> there are some others like the Nokia 6820...
>
> Anyone know of any ideas of whats going on here??? Or is cingular waiting
to
> combine stock on the shelf with AT&T when they come together later in the
> year???
>
> AT&T just added a few new ones a couple of months ago and Cingular has the
> same old phones from last year...
>
> BTW I am currently an AT&T user (TDMA) and would like to "switch" to GSM
and
> "port" over Cingular before they really become one with AT&T. I want to do
> this so I can get a better rate for the phone and a better deal on some
rate
> plans. AT&T is really not into selling me a phone at a "new customer"
> price!!! But ever so eager to add another year or two to my contract!!!
>
> tIa
>
>
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 1:56:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

True. Good features, but.... bulky and ugly fit and finish (compare it to
the new samsung phones).

"Erik" <eransoft@_nospam_start.no> wrote in message
news:J%djc.1724$8H6.571@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com...
> If you don't need Bluetooth, you should check out the V400. Excellent,
high
> quality, quad-band phone.
>
>
>
> Erik.
>
>
>
> "DKH" <whome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:Qf%ic.11365$gH6.4311@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> > I have been waiting for a while checking everyday for Cingular to add
some
> > new quality phones to their lineup.
> >
> > I read in the posts that the V600 might be in sometime in May!!! I hope
> > there are some others like the Nokia 6820...
> >
> > Anyone know of any ideas of whats going on here??? Or is cingular
waiting
> to
> > combine stock on the shelf with AT&T when they come together later in
the
> > year???
> >
> > AT&T just added a few new ones a couple of months ago and Cingular has
the
> > same old phones from last year...
> >
> > BTW I am currently an AT&T user (TDMA) and would like to "switch" to GSM
> and
> > "port" over Cingular before they really become one with AT&T. I want to
do
> > this so I can get a better rate for the phone and a better deal on some
> rate
> > plans. AT&T is really not into selling me a phone at a "new customer"
> > price!!! But ever so eager to add another year or two to my contract!!!
> >
> > tIa
> >
> >
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 1:56:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Richie" <richie@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:Wzfjc.1855$oa3.1321@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
> True. Good features, but.... bulky and ugly fit and finish (compare it
to
> the new samsung phones).
>

I hope the new Samsung phones are better then the s307 is. It is definately
a nice "looking" phone, but featureless and marginal RF. Quality and the
features I need far outweigh the way a device looks. I don't care what it
looks like as long it does what I need it to when i need it to.
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 9:40:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I mostly agree with you. That's why I use a Motorola phone.

But there's a lot of value in esthetics -- image, fit and finish, pricing
etc. play an important role in the products we 'consume.' Mobile phone
makers need to consider all of that that if they want to succeed in this
ultra competitive environment. Nokia is 'down' while Samsung is 'up'
because of those reasons. Mobile phones are not simply for making phone
calls anymore. In many ways, they are becoming 'jewelry' items. For
example there are many watches that don't keep time all that well but
command a lot of money at the cash register.

I have not used the Samsung S307 but the X427 is really nice with great RF
reception.


"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message
news:CQgjc.11357$oN1.6061@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
>
> "Richie" <richie@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> news:Wzfjc.1855$oa3.1321@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
> > True. Good features, but.... bulky and ugly fit and finish (compare it
> to
> > the new samsung phones).
> >
>
> I hope the new Samsung phones are better then the s307 is. It is
definately
> a nice "looking" phone, but featureless and marginal RF. Quality and the
> features I need far outweigh the way a device looks. I don't care what it
> looks like as long it does what I need it to when i need it to.
>
>
April 27, 2004 10:17:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:40:27 GMT, "Richie" <richie@pacbell.net> wrote:

>I mostly agree with you. That's why I use a Motorola phone.
>
>But there's a lot of value in esthetics -- image, fit and finish, pricing
>etc. play an important role in the products we 'consume.' Mobile phone
>makers need to consider all of that that if they want to succeed in this
>ultra competitive environment. Nokia is 'down' while Samsung is 'up'
>because of those reasons.

And in the end who really cares. Nokia still has more than a third of
the total market while the closest competitor (Mot) only has something
on the order of 16 percent. We're lucky that there are a variety of
manufacturers and we can go to the one that appeals to us and let
someone else use something else. For transportation you can go with
Ford, GM or Chrysler or even go abroad and get a VW or Toyota. Same
with mobiles you can go to Nokia, Samsung or Motorola.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
April 27, 2004 12:38:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Richie wrote:

> I mostly agree with you. That's why I use a Motorola phone.
>
> But there's a lot of value in esthetics -- image, fit and finish, pricing
> etc. play an important role in the products we 'consume.' Mobile phone
> makers need to consider all of that that if they want to succeed in this
> ultra competitive environment. Nokia is 'down' while Samsung is 'up'
> because of those reasons. Mobile phones are not simply for making phone
> calls anymore. In many ways, they are becoming 'jewelry' items. For
> example there are many watches that don't keep time all that well but
> command a lot of money at the cash register.

This is because there are still some ignorant twits out there that, for
some silly reason, actually think anybody cares what their "jewelry"
looks like. When it comes to phones, esthetics are for wimps, and one
of those is born every minute.

[....]


--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten' ICQ = 35253273
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
what we know." -- Richard Wilbur
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 11:05:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

If I were in the phone business, I'd want to sell lot's of phones and make a
lots of money. In order to make lots of money you have to make products
that have broad appeal and have the features that people want.

Nokia became the leader because they invented the X-press on faceplates.
Motorola stumbled because they failed innovate.

Personally, I care about the functions of a phone, but I also don't want to
carry an ugly, bulky brick.


"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
news:c6lnm6$4av@library2.airnews.net...
> Richie wrote:
>
> > I mostly agree with you. That's why I use a Motorola phone.
> >
> > But there's a lot of value in esthetics -- image, fit and finish,
pricing
> > etc. play an important role in the products we 'consume.' Mobile phone
> > makers need to consider all of that that if they want to succeed in this
> > ultra competitive environment. Nokia is 'down' while Samsung is 'up'
> > because of those reasons. Mobile phones are not simply for making
phone
> > calls anymore. In many ways, they are becoming 'jewelry' items. For
> > example there are many watches that don't keep time all that well but
> > command a lot of money at the cash register.
>
> This is because there are still some ignorant twits out there that, for
> some silly reason, actually think anybody cares what their "jewelry"
> looks like. When it comes to phones, esthetics are for wimps, and one
> of those is born every minute.
>
> [....]
>
>
> --
> jer email reply - I am not a 'ten' ICQ = 35253273
> "All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
> what we know." -- Richard Wilbur
>
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 7:07:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 03:22:24 GMT, "DKH" <whome@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I have been waiting for a while checking everyday for Cingular to add some
>new quality phones to their lineup.
>
>I read in the posts that the V600 might be in sometime in May!!! I hope
>there are some others like the Nokia 6820...
>
>Anyone know of any ideas of whats going on here??? Or is cingular waiting to
>combine stock on the shelf with AT&T when they come together later in the
>year???
>
>AT&T just added a few new ones a couple of months ago and Cingular has the
>same old phones from last year...
>
>BTW I am currently an AT&T user (TDMA) and would like to "switch" to GSM and
>"port" over Cingular before they really become one with AT&T. I want to do
>this so I can get a better rate for the phone and a better deal on some rate
>plans. AT&T is really not into selling me a phone at a "new customer"
>price!!! But ever so eager to add another year or two to my contract!!!
>
>tIa
>
I'm new at this, so take what I say with a grain of salt....
I'm on the south west coast of florida and a choice of two phones for
gsm. 6340i and a Sony Ericsson T62u.

All the dealers 3 or 4 that i spoke with say in June, specifically the
11th will be will be 20 phones to choose from. Cingular is changing
over to gsm. I don't figure they can do this all on one day..... so
last weekend i'm over in the miami area. I stopped at a store, "Brand
Mart" and seen a display with lots of phones they do not yet offer in
my area.

So i came home looked up a zip code online for miami (USPS site) and
found 33125. Typed that in when the cingular site asked me for zip
code and there were the 20 gsm phones.

I can't figure out why the local dealers/sellers do not mention this.
Cingular changing over to gsm, 20 new phones in miami area all work on
gsm... gee i don't need to be a rocket scientist figure this one out.

So i can now start my picking of a new phone ( i have 6340i off ebay
for 24.99 plus shipping, no sim card, but extra battery and car
charger) Anyway I can only conclude that since cingular is changing
over to gsm these must be the phones......

any comments?

sign me,
painfully new
April 29, 2004 7:07:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:07:22 -0400, painfully@a.noo.one wrote:

>I'm new at this, so take what I say with a grain of salt....
>I'm on the south west coast of florida and a choice of two phones for
>gsm. 6340i and a Sony Ericsson T62u.

And that's it if you want a GAIT phone. Those are the only ones. If
you want a straight GSM phone there are lots more choices.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
May 2, 2004 1:30:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:04:12 -0700, Joseph
<JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.NONOcom> wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:07:22 -0400, painfully@a.noo.one wrote:
>
>>I'm new at this, so take what I say with a grain of salt....
>>I'm on the south west coast of florida and a choice of two phones for
>>gsm. 6340i and a Sony Ericsson T62u.
>
>And that's it if you want a GAIT phone. Those are the only ones. If
>you want a straight GSM phone there are lots more choices.
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Right now in SW Florida they will not activate a GSM only phone. A
GAIT phone has 3 bands and was designed to use while they are changing
over to GSM. Which was the reason for my post. The cingular salesman i
use can not even get his GSM only phone activated in this area.
The point of my post was to let every one know that when GSM comes
these are the choices. Possibly SW Florida will be last...????

I looked at the new map, GSM, not as much coverage as bedfore, so I'm
keeping my 6340i for a while as it is the only phone in the new line
up that still does analog. Works for me....

c'ya,
painfully new and still learning.
!