Ram heatsinks usefull?

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Hi to everybody,

I have recently bought a second hand GF4 4200 Ti. I am planning to overclock it by replacing the HSF with a hand made PII/III HSF (yes, quite crazy). Current one is quite warn.

But RAM doesn't heat too much, so I don't think if it is worth to add heatsinks on it. Also, normal Artic Silver will be ok for "gluing" the RAM heatsinks? Should I use a special "glued" Artic silver?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
ramsinks don't really help much, unless you're planning to volt mod.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
My vote is that they're a good idea, if you use some good stuff to attatch them (otherwise they could hold in heat and actually have a negative effect). Arctic Silver thermal epoxy is tha sh!t for permanently attatching heatsinks.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
I'd pretty much agree. As long as you use something to attach them that has good thermal condictivity, they can't hurt, even if they don't really help in any noticable way.

I plan on adding heatsinks all over my system when I get a chance to cut some up. ;) Going to order some As5 adhesive, then have three heatsinks(stock 9800pro HSF, stock p4 2.8HSF, and heat sink from my old P3) that will get cut up for ramsinks, mosfets, whatevers hot in there.

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Before anyone misunderstands/misreads me and does something stupid, don't use AS5 adhesive on anything conductive, as as5can be conductive andshort things out

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
That's true, I am sure people have done more stangre things!

That's for all your replies. Probably I won't get a good benefit, but I wanna try, just for fun and to see how good it works. Time to create a 2 slot solution for a GF4 Ti!

And not really extra cash to spend! So I am thinnking about using artic silver (already have it) and hold it with the spring of a clothes peg (one for subjecting a couple of HSF, as they are in the same position in both sides og the PCB) :eek:

If anyone has a better idea let me know!

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

From what I've seen alot depends on the quality of the RAMsinks too.

Some crap assed ones, and poorly mounted ones of course, will reduce your overclocks by a lot.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Rage3d people are aganst ramsinks on ATI cards.

Extremeoverclocking people are even aginst ramsinks on the 5900 series, they say after removing the stock ramsinks, they actually gain overclockability.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

Oh yeah, I know.

When the volt-moded R9600Pro overclocking started there was alot of discussion about that at Rage3D,because of the negative returns.

I came back here and mentioned it to people. It is really acase of hit and miss from what I've seen, with FAR more misses than improvements.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Screw ramsinks, just get a huge CPU heatsink on the core itself, and get lotsa airflow on the card and you'll be much better off.

At least that's what i'm doing, got a 120mm fan, and a vantec fan card blowing towards my vid card's 2U rackmount cooler.

Yeah I'd agree (unless of course you have other cooling means for the core :evil: ).

I have a blowhole over the AGP slot which is nice and blows cool air right on the card so the worry of stale case air affecting OCing isn't much of a concern, so I've never worried about ramsinks because I don't feel the potential hassle and drawbacks are worth it even for potentially 5mhz increase. Whoopeee!

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
I got a blowhole on my side panel for my vid card as well, but i used a 120mm fan adaptor so i could use a 120mm fan, the problem now is that my core is at the dead spot of the 120mm fan, which is where the vantec spectrum fan card comes in.