Sign in with
Your question

Making a game in UDK now...

Last response: in Video Games
February 3, 2013 2:38:43 AM

I have the November 2012 UDK Beta and I don't expect I'll have anything made for quite some time. Like 10 years lol. I'm learning now and barely have a skeleton team together of people who are motivated to actually build something that resembles a game.

My question to all of you techies is whether or not it's a HORRIBLE idea to hop on to UDK now to create a game. How does this work?

If I were to create something that looks and runs well on current gaming platforms, but I'm not done with my project for 5 more years, can I update my material? Is UDK already out of date and not worth building with? Obviously I won't be creating anything spectacular but I would at least like it to look current if the final product is ever released...

More about : making game udk

February 3, 2013 4:27:14 AM

Just stick with UDK for now.. Learn the basics of creating a game etc.. If you do release it, I think you will need to license the game engine from Epic.. Don't think they allow you to release a game with it without getting some type of compensation..

They basically released UDK so more people can learn their platform for free. With more people knowing their platform, they will sell more licenses as more of the market is using their engine.

So my advice is just to stick with it, learn the basics.. Who knows when a new engine will be released to the public that is targeted to the next gen consoles..

There's also some other engines out there that you can download and learn for free from.. But I think UDK is the most popular one (exactly what Epic wanted)
m
l
February 3, 2013 6:25:02 AM

kjoz said:
Just stick with UDK for now.. Learn the basics of creating a game etc.. If you do release it, I think you will need to license the game engine from Epic.. Don't think they allow you to release a game with it without getting some type of compensation..

They basically released UDK so more people can learn their platform for free. With more people knowing their platform, they will sell more licenses as more of the market is using their engine.

So my advice is just to stick with it, learn the basics.. Who knows when a new engine will be released to the public that is targeted to the next gen consoles..

There's also some other engines out there that you can download and learn for free from.. But I think UDK is the most popular one (exactly what Epic wanted)

Alright thanks for the help man
m
l
Related resources
!