RAM Sink Installation Tip

I just finished installing RAM Heatsinks,(IE;Ramsinks) on my ATI 9800 Pro, I applied an old carpenters trick, to the RAM sink installation and it worked great, so I thought I'd pass it on.

I used the Artic Silver Thermal Adhesive, which as we all should know, conducts electricity, and you cannot take any chance whatsoever of getting the ASTA on any electrical surfaces.

So first I carefully scotch taped around each RAM die, now for the tip, I used a sheet of plastic like the plastic that transperencies are made of to mix the ASTA together on, the plastic needs to be thick enough not to be moving when you hold it to spread the Thermal Adhesive on, after I had the adhesive thoroughly mixed, I spread a thin even layer out on the plastic sheet, then pressed the contact base of the Ramsink into the thin layer of adhesive, twisting it back and forth and checking for even coverage, if I had too much on it, I went to a thinner spread on the plastic and evened it up, then used the contact part of the ram sink, and touched the die with the contact face of the Ramsink, pulling it up and checking for even coverage on the die, and basically using the base of the Ramsink to spread the Thermal adhesive, since it was the exact same size as the die it was the perfect spreader.

Doing it that way there was a very slight squeeze out when pressure was applied to the Ramsinks, for the setup time period, that allows the Thermal Adhesive to cure.

Spreading the Thermal Adhesive on the plastic basically gives you the perfect coverage thickness to begin with and with a steady hand, removes the possibility of getting the Thermal Adhesive where you don't want it. It worked great, and I had no problems at all.

I hope this tip helps someone, with your own Ramsink installation!

Anyone thats installed Ramsinks on a video card using Artic Silver Thermal Adhesive knows just how nerve racking it can be, because you surely don't want to screw up your video card. :cool: Ryan

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541" target="_new">My Rig</A>

Cool, good to see it here.

May have to bump from time to time.

Perhaps someone like Scottchen or WS could append a small link at the bottom of their sticky to this. Just a thought.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Is there a big difference performance-wise between the ASTA and, say, the thermal tape that comes on the OCZ ramsinks?

<font color=blue>Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 2.6C @ 3.25Ghz, 1GB Geil Platinum PC4000, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Audigy 2, Antec TrueBlue 480, 2x120GB Maxtor DM+9's: 1 SATA, 1 PATA, Plextor DVD+RW, Plextor CD-RW.</font color=blue>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
The performance difference is minimal, you just take the risk of losing more overclockability.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>