Sign in with
Your question

Low down on Water cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
May 17, 2004 11:00:24 PM

I was just wondering if anyone had a general low down on water cooling. Specifically, what products are good, what are the pros and cons. How much would one have to worry about things like leaks, etc. Also, anyone who has built a system, info on your successes/disasters would be nice. Thanks much

More about : low water cooling

May 18, 2004 7:27:48 AM

Any watercooling product that doesnt come as an all in one kit for under £100 is generally good.

Leaks are not really a problem as long as you bleed test your kit, when I bleed tested mine there were two leaks and I got water all over my sound card and motherboard. But because the computer wasnt on this didnt cause any problems. Also de-ionised water is used so as long as you turn the computer off sharpish after a leak you should be ok.

Pros:
Quieter (not as quiet as I was expecting).
Allows you to overclock more.
Its fun to do.

Cons:
Will have to bleed the system every few months to get rid of algae.
Everytime you change a big component in your case you have to bleed and remove the kit.
Its expensive.
Prolly not worth the money.

P4c 2.6@3.25
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Radeon 9800Pro
May 18, 2004 7:27:49 AM

Any watercooling product that doesnt come as an all in one kit for under £100 is generally good.

Leaks are not really a problem as long as you bleed test your kit, when I bleed tested mine there were two leaks and I got water all over my sound card and motherboard. But because the computer wasnt on this didnt cause any problems. Also de-ionised water is used so as long as you turn the computer off sharpish after a leak you should be ok.

Pros:
Quieter (not as quiet as I was expecting).
Allows you to overclock more.
Its fun to do.

Cons:
Will have to bleed the system every few months to get rid of algae.
Everytime you change a big component in your case you have to bleed and remove the kit.
Its expensive.
Prolly not worth the money.

P4c 2.6@3.25
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Radeon 9800Pro
Related resources
May 18, 2004 6:13:03 PM

I agree with your second post, your first one was [-peep-].

<A HREF="http://www.tubgirl.com" target="_new">Don't Click This - Please! (NSFW)</A>
May 20, 2004 11:34:40 AM

I had algae problems when I used the additive supplied by asetek, but it doesnt seem to be such a issue now Im using purple ice. I will still need to bleed it every 3-4months though.

<font color=blue>P4c 2.6@3.25
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Radeon 9800Pro
</font color=blue>
June 19, 2004 5:09:49 PM

Did you have algae problems with an ethylene glycol based coolant?

Why do you bleed the system so often? It's not like a car radiator which runs at high temps so you need to flush it.
!