Do I want to upgade?

....from a Celeron 2.6 to a P4 2.6?
9 answers Last reply
More about upgade

    I forgot the r
    ...from a Celeron 2.6 to a P4 2.6?

    There is want and then there is need.

    Are you CPU bound? If not, then no.
    You also risk breaking something during this swap.

    "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote in message
    > ...from a Celeron 2.6 to a P4 2.6?

    If the P4 2.6 is cheap enough AND both the installed memory and the motherboard
    support the faster FSB of the P4 2.6, the answer is yes.

    Check the specs of the motherboard, memory, and CPU first. The typical P4-ish
    Celeron operates with 400MHz FSB. The faster P4s require 533MHz FSB, with
    memory to match.

    You'll probably have to remove the motherboard from the chassis to make yourself
    the space to remove the CPU cooling fan. Remove the CPU fan with the utmost
    care. The typical Intel CPU fan clamps/clips are plastic and the CPU fan
    retaining bracket is also plastic. Plastic breaks easily, and taking the time
    to get the replacement parts may not be something you can do... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:07:52 -0700, "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote:

    >...from a Celeron 2.6 to a P4 2.6?

    It depends - the P4 2.6 will outrun any Celeron CPU - but it depends on
    which P4 2.6 you can use.
    The 2.6/400 is gone from production and rising in price. The other P4 2.6s
    are much less expensive.

    All in all, I'd pass -- if you can use a faster P4, then upgrade.
    Otherwise, bank the money for a new BTX system when they start arriving.

    "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote in message
    > ...from a Celeron 2.6 to a P4 2.6?

    400 fsb...It just bugs me knowing it's a celeron. I have a spare HS
    retention bracket. Tiger Direct has the cpu for $159.99. I KNOW I'll buy
    it...I need ammo for defense against my wife. Don't tell her I bought
    another 256 ram today, 512 and P4 will look great in my computer properties!
    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > It depends - the P4 2.6 will outrun any Celeron CPU - but it depends on
    > which P4 2.6 you can use.
    > The 2.6/400 is gone from production and rising in price. The other P4
    2.6s
    > are much less expensive.
    >
    > All in all, I'd pass -- if you can use a faster P4, then upgrade.
    > Otherwise, bank the money for a new BTX system when they start arriving.
    >

    > "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote in message
    > > ...from a Celeron 2.6 to a P4 2.6?

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Sounds like a bad case of processor envy.

    You just know you'll want a faster one a week after you get it. Try to
    resist. If you're wife finds out you're gonna get a good spanking, if
    you're lucky. ;-)

    > 400 fsb...It just bugs me knowing it's a celeron. I have a spare HS
    > retention bracket. Tiger Direct has the cpu for $159.99. I KNOW I'll buy
    > it...I need ammo for defense against my wife. Don't tell her I bought
    > another 256 ram today, 512 and P4 will look great in my computer
    properties!
    > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > > It depends - the P4 2.6 will outrun any Celeron CPU - but it depends on
    > > which P4 2.6 you can use.
    > > The 2.6/400 is gone from production and rising in price. The other P4
    > 2.6s
    > > are much less expensive.
    > >
    > > All in all, I'd pass -- if you can use a faster P4, then upgrade.
    > > Otherwise, bank the money for a new BTX system when they start arriving.
    > >

    > > "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote in message
    > > > ...from a Celeron 2.6 to a P4 2.6?

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Well, it IS your money. But a 2.4GHz Celery chip is essentially a slower
    Pentium 4. Honestly, at the end of the day, you will not see a whopping
    improvement in system performance. But I guess you'll feel better about having
    a Pentium 4.

    If you want to make a deal for the used and rejected Celery chip, let me know.
    Then you can at least tell your wife you made a clever deal to sell off the used
    part. She may hold off beating you soundly about the ears. For a few hours,
    anyway... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:47:46 -0700, "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote:

    >400 fsb...It just bugs me knowing it's a celeron. I have a spare HS
    >retention bracket. Tiger Direct has the cpu for $159.99. I KNOW I'll buy
    >it...I need ammo for defense against my wife. Don't tell her I bought
    >another 256 ram today, 512 and P4 will look great in my computer properties!
    >"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    >> It depends - the P4 2.6 will outrun any Celeron CPU - but it depends on
    >> which P4 2.6 you can use.
    >> The 2.6/400 is gone from production and rising in price. The other P4
    >2.6s
    >> are much less expensive.
    >>
    >> All in all, I'd pass -- if you can use a faster P4, then upgrade.
    >> Otherwise, bank the money for a new BTX system when they start arriving.
    >>

    >> "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote in message
    >> > ...from a Celeron 2.6 to a P4 2.6?

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Unless you are running Mathematica, Pro/E, or are a professional
    rendering user or are running a Unix server with high load, you won't
    know the difference.
    Put your money in the bank.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Did my wife call you, or what?
    "Jim-Ed Browne" <jimedbrowne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Unless you are running Mathematica, Pro/E, or are a professional
    > rendering user or are running a Unix server with high load, you won't
    > know the difference.
    > Put your money in the bank.

Gateway Celeron Computers