Do I want to upgade?

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

There is want and then there is need.

Are you CPU bound? If not, then no.
You also risk breaking something during this swap.

"Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote in message
> ...from a Celeron 2.6 to a P4 2.6?

If the P4 2.6 is cheap enough AND both the installed memory and the motherboard
support the faster FSB of the P4 2.6, the answer is yes.

Check the specs of the motherboard, memory, and CPU first. The typical P4-ish
Celeron operates with 400MHz FSB. The faster P4s require 533MHz FSB, with
memory to match.

You'll probably have to remove the motherboard from the chassis to make yourself
the space to remove the CPU cooling fan. Remove the CPU fan with the utmost
care. The typical Intel CPU fan clamps/clips are plastic and the CPU fan
retaining bracket is also plastic. Plastic breaks easily, and taking the time
to get the replacement parts may not be something you can do... Ben Myers

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:07:52 -0700, "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote:

>...from a Celeron 2.6 to a P4 2.6?

It depends - the P4 2.6 will outrun any Celeron CPU - but it depends on
which P4 2.6 you can use.
The 2.6/400 is gone from production and rising in price. The other P4 2.6s
are much less expensive.

All in all, I'd pass -- if you can use a faster P4, then upgrade.
Otherwise, bank the money for a new BTX system when they start arriving.

"Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote in message
> ...from a Celeron 2.6 to a P4 2.6?

Tim

400 fsb...It just bugs me knowing it's a celeron. I have a spare HS
retention bracket. Tiger Direct has the cpu for $159.99. I KNOW I'll buy
it...I need ammo for defense against my wife. Don't tell her I bought
another 256 ram today, 512 and P4 will look great in my computer properties!
"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> It depends - the P4 2.6 will outrun any Celeron CPU - but it depends on
> which P4 2.6 you can use.
> The 2.6/400 is gone from production and rising in price. The other P4
2.6s
> are much less expensive.
>
> All in all, I'd pass -- if you can use a faster P4, then upgrade.
> Otherwise, bank the money for a new BTX system when they start arriving.
>

> "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote in message
> > ...from a Celeron 2.6 to a P4 2.6?

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

Sounds like a bad case of processor envy.

You just know you'll want a faster one a week after you get it. Try to
resist. If you're wife finds out you're gonna get a good spanking, if
you're lucky. ;-)

> 400 fsb...It just bugs me knowing it's a celeron. I have a spare HS
> retention bracket. Tiger Direct has the cpu for $159.99. I KNOW I'll buy
> it...I need ammo for defense against my wife. Don't tell her I bought
> another 256 ram today, 512 and P4 will look great in my computer
properties!
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > It depends - the P4 2.6 will outrun any Celeron CPU - but it depends on
> > which P4 2.6 you can use.
> > The 2.6/400 is gone from production and rising in price. The other P4
> 2.6s
> > are much less expensive.
> >
> > All in all, I'd pass -- if you can use a faster P4, then upgrade.
> > Otherwise, bank the money for a new BTX system when they start arriving.
> >

> > "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote in message
> > > ...from a Celeron 2.6 to a P4 2.6?

Well, it IS your money. But a 2.4GHz Celery chip is essentially a slower
Pentium 4. Honestly, at the end of the day, you will not see a whopping
improvement in system performance. But I guess you'll feel better about having
a Pentium 4.

If you want to make a deal for the used and rejected Celery chip, let me know.
Then you can at least tell your wife you made a clever deal to sell off the used
part. She may hold off beating you soundly about the ears. For a few hours,
anyway... Ben Myers

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:47:46 -0700, "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote:

>400 fsb...It just bugs me knowing it's a celeron. I have a spare HS
>retention bracket. Tiger Direct has the cpu for $159.99. I KNOW I'll buy
>it...I need ammo for defense against my wife. Don't tell her I bought
>another 256 ram today, 512 and P4 will look great in my computer properties!
>"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
>> It depends - the P4 2.6 will outrun any Celeron CPU - but it depends on
>> which P4 2.6 you can use.
>> The 2.6/400 is gone from production and rising in price. The other P4
>2.6s
>> are much less expensive.
>>
>> All in all, I'd pass -- if you can use a faster P4, then upgrade.
>> Otherwise, bank the money for a new BTX system when they start arriving.
>>

>> "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote in message
>> > ...from a Celeron 2.6 to a P4 2.6?

Unless you are running Mathematica, Pro/E, or are a professional
rendering user or are running a Unix server with high load, you won't
know the difference.
Put your money in the bank.

Tim

Did my wife call you, or what?
"Jim-Ed Browne" <jimedbrowne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Unless you are running Mathematica, Pro/E, or are a professional
> rendering user or are running a Unix server with high load, you won't
> know the difference.
> Put your money in the bank.

TRENDING THREADS