Sign in with
Your question

Where's the Nintendo love?

Last response: in Video Games
February 4, 2013 10:08:42 AM

Just scanned the entire first page of the console gaming forum, and there's no mention of anything Nintendo related. Where's the love?

Anyone else loving the Wii U?

More about : nintendo love

February 4, 2013 10:37:57 PM

I'm having a hard time figuring out what to love.

OK, out of the "current gen" consoles, we have the Xbox360, PS3, and now the Wii U.

Out of these, the Xbox360 has strengths in that it has the best online multiplayer (although at a slight cost), and strongest performance in 3rd party titles. Performance in a game like COD for example, tends to be with having a little better frame rate, with a more stable frame rate, vs PS3 or the Wii U. For exclusives there's less, but Halo and Gears of War are significant enough, to help complement the Xbox360 as a great mainstream console.

The PS3 has some performance difficulties vs the 360, so 3rd party titles aren't quite as solid. PSN is arguably not up to the maturity of Live. Sony makes up for this by making PSN free, and adding value to their payed service through free games, game discounts, automatic patching, and cloud game saves. Sony makes up for being slightly inferior in 3rd party games, by having somewhat stronger exclusives. Add the blu ray player, and the PS3 is very competitive with the Xbox360.

The Wii U has performance limitations, with the CPU in particular. Early evidence on 3rd party titles is that performance is inferior to the Xbox360, with much less stable frame rate in titles like Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty. Online multiplayer is by far in 3rd, and the first party titles and exclusives are inferior to Sony's. Also, no blu ray player.

So, if I was going to buy a console today, and didn't already own one, I'd buy an Xbox360 or PS3.

If I was an Xbox360 or PS3 owner I'd have to be persuaded by strong exclusives, and currently the Wii U doesn't have them. There's exclusives, sure, and I personally hate that I won't be able to play Rayman Legends, but I'm certainly not going to buy a Wii U for it's current exclusive lineup.
m
l
February 5, 2013 2:02:18 AM

I've been skeptic about getting a wiiu since the 720&PS4 are to be announced this year, I'll just wait till there all out there.
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2013 2:22:35 AM

If you like Mario, Zelda and possibly Metroid then consider a Wii U or hold off until a title in one of those franchises is released that interests you. Otherwise, no reason to get a Wii U. Either of the other 2 major consoles and their upcoming next-generation counterparts will suit you fine, and a PC better than all of the aforementioned as long as you're not looking for a specific exclusive.
m
l
February 5, 2013 7:55:28 AM

So... no one is enjoying their Wii U then? :( 

I like my Wii U... :( 

My xbox 360 laser DIED, and my PS3 went yellow on me! :(  Waiting to order a replacement laser on ebay right now...
m
l
February 5, 2013 8:07:27 PM

if they release an Excite Truck HD i will buy a wii u, loved that game
m
l
February 5, 2013 8:16:04 PM

Yes I've been looking into the wii U, mostly because of mario and zelda, is it worth buying right now? or trading my 360 in for one, I have a ps3 and a gaming pc. I use my ps3 over my 360
m
l
February 5, 2013 8:23:02 PM

i'd wait for now, think there're supposed to be releasing an enhanced windwaker this year so wait till then if you like zelda
m
l
February 5, 2013 8:35:33 PM

menacedude said:
i'd wait for now, think there're supposed to be releasing an enhanced windwaker this year so wait till then if you like zelda

Oh yeah! I forgot about that, I wonder if they will make that for 3ds as well?
m
l
February 5, 2013 8:46:17 PM

thomasf94 said:
Yes I've been looking into the wii U, mostly because of mario and zelda, is it worth buying right now? or trading my 360 in for one, I have a ps3 and a gaming pc. I use my ps3 over my 360

Yes, trade in your 360 for the most futuristic experience you'll ever have with a gaming console. The first time I played NintendoLand and walked around the in game park with the gamepad in my hands I was floored. So much potential for this system. Also, ZombiU is a terribly underrated game. Yes it has flaws from being rushed in production but there are so many horror games out there that need to take a lesson from this title.

Yes, get a Wii U. It's a slow start for it, but again it has so much potential. You'll see what I'm talking about once you try it. If you can find a retailer nearby demoing it, then I say go now and try it out.

YES.
m
l
February 5, 2013 8:48:24 PM

Retrowire said:
Yes, trade in your 360 for the most futuristic experience you'll ever have with a gaming console. The first time I played NintendoLand and walked around the in game park with the gamepad in my hands I was floored. So much potential for this system. Also, ZombiU is a terribly underrated game. Yes it has flaws from being rushed in production but there are so many horror games out there that need to take a lesson from this title.

Yes, get a Wii U. It's a slow start for it, but again it has so much potential. You'll see what I'm talking about once you try it. If you can find a retailer nearby demoing it, then I say go now and try it out.

YES.

This is what I wanted to hear :D 

Haha, I definitely want to try one out, and I agree, it looks to have so much potential, and looks like fun with groups of friends, especially 5 player mario
m
l
February 5, 2013 9:48:04 PM

thomasf94 said:
This is what I wanted to hear :D 

Haha, I definitely want to try one out, and I agree, it looks to have so much potential, and looks like fun with groups of friends, especially 5 player mario

Yeah, just wait til you've got a room full of friends playing NintendoLand, tons of fun. And ZombiU is intense. The permadeath in that game is what sets it apart from all the other zombie games. You walk into a room of 3 zombies in any other game, you just work the headshots and you'll be fine. You walk into a room with 2 zombies in ZombiU, you'll crap yourself and try and run, or struggle with trying to fight em with a cricket bat. My wife enjoyed watching me play this entire game, while screaming like a little girl. (I did the screaming.)
m
l
February 6, 2013 12:18:23 AM

I'm tempted to get a WiiU. I think Nintendo should of made it more powerful though.

Like with the Wii, it will be a generation behind in terms of hardware. The Xbox 360 and PS3 have better hardware and they are from 2005/2006. When the Xbox 720 and PS4/Orbis come out, Nintendo will be in the same boat as they were with the original Wii. Developers will be working on taking advantage of the hardware in the new consoles, and none of the games will be able to run on the Wii U's older components.

BTW I prefer Nintendo to Sony/Microsoft, in case I made it sound like I am a fanboy. They try to do something different, where as the Xbox and PS3 are basically PCs with most of the good features removed.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
m
l
February 6, 2013 5:02:35 PM

voiidwulf said:
I'm tempted to get a WiiU. I think Nintendo should of made it more powerful though.

Like with the Wii, it will be a generation behind in terms of hardware. The Xbox 360 and PS3 have better hardware and they are from 2005/2006. When the Xbox 720 and PS4/Orbis come out, Nintendo will be in the same boat as they were with the original Wii. Developers will be working on taking advantage of the hardware in the new consoles, and none of the games will be able to run on the Wii U's older components.

BTW I prefer Nintendo to Sony/Microsoft, in case I made it sound like I am a fanboy. They try to do something different, where as the Xbox and PS3 are basically PCs with most of the good features removed.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Yes, I totally agree with this
m
l
February 11, 2013 7:43:03 AM

I loved Nintendo. I own an N64 and a Gamecube, they see regular use. However, they chose to take themselves off the serious gaming table with the Wii. I still remember the Nintendo executive announcing and explaining the new controller design and their new goals and focus group. In essence (roughly translated and paraphrased): "We want EVERYONE that is NOT a gamer to want to, and be able to with ease, purchase and play a Wii". I highly doubt that this current attempt with the Wii-U to merge focus groups will do well. So while I love what they were... they will most likely never return to their previous place at the table, or in my heart/notice for that matter.

And LOL to voiidwolf's comment on the Xbox/PS being computers while Nintendo does something different. Considering that "Nintendo Family Computer" was the name of their debut system. And I fail to see a lack of PC-ish options in the Wii system. Online options, Downloadable games, Netflix, etc... I respect you and your opinion, but I hope you can share in the irony.
m
l
February 11, 2013 1:39:44 PM

Shade151 said:
I loved Nintendo. I own an N64 and a Gamecube, they see regular use. However, they chose to take themselves off the serious gaming table with the Wii. I still remember the Nintendo executive announcing and explaining the new controller design and their new goals and focus group. In essence (roughly translated and paraphrased): "We want EVERYONE that is NOT a gamer to want to, and be able to with ease, purchase and play a Wii". I highly doubt that this current attempt with the Wii-U to merge focus groups will do well. So while I love what they were... they will most likely never return to their previous place at the table, or in my heart/notice for that matter.

And LOL to voiidwolf's comment on the Xbox/PS being computers while Nintendo does something different. Considering that "Nintendo Family Computer" was the name of their debut system. And I fail to see a lack of PC-ish options in the Wii system. Online options, Downloadable games, Netflix, etc... I respect you and your opinion, but I hope you can share in the irony.

Yeah, I know it is the opposite in some ways, but I still feel that way.

Basically, what I mean is that Nintendo attempts to do different stuff such as motion control and games that focus more on innovative gameplay than graphics and stuff like that, where as MSFT and Sony's consoles have no use. They are basically dumbed down PCs with a different controller. There is a lot you can do on a Wii that is currently not available on PC such as the motion control and ease of use. On the other hand, everything you can do with PS3/Xbox 360 can be done better on PC. (Apart from split-screen I guess.) My aunt has a Wii that she uses to play a few games. The controls are simple and intuitive most of the time. I don't think she'd be able to do it very well, or even want to if she was using a mouse and keyboard or gamepad.
m
l
February 11, 2013 2:31:18 PM

voiidwulf said:
where as MSFT and Sony's consoles have no use.

Whoa there. This is deliberately obtuse. You and I both know the use of the Xbox360 and PS3. It brings a diminished gaming experience (compared to PC), but at a diminished initial investment (compared again to PC). And of course, it helps to look at the consoles in the appropriate context. They were in mid-development 9 years ago. In tech years, that's a longgggggg time. They might be laughable now on every PC-oriented gaming forum, but I think you're lying to yourself if you don't know how their existence is justified.

Also, and I mean this in the most literal sense, EVERYTHING you can do on the Wii you can do on your PC. Only better. WAY better. The Dolphin Emulator is capable of rendering internal resolutions beyond 3000p and downsampling them giving you extremely anti-aliased and clarified Wii games, and you can use any of the Wii's controllers with either a Wii-to-PC adapter or a bluetooth adapter.

For comparison:

m
l
February 11, 2013 9:48:37 PM

Yeah, that is true. Back in 2005 - 2008 I was fully console and probably made fun of PC gamers.

I was meaning at this point, excluding emulators, Xbox 360 and PS3 have no advantages over PC other than cost. Wii at least has some other stuff.

I am not trying to start a war or anything. I was just stating my opinion.
m
l
February 11, 2013 10:16:46 PM

... The Wii U can do things the PC cannot.... For now.... Nintendo love woo!
m
l
February 11, 2013 10:24:45 PM

My PS3 died 2 yrs ago, my 360 died last month. My NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, NDS, GBA are all I've got left. And they're all in perfect working condition. I credit this durability to Nintendo's "Seasoned Hardware" philosophy. That term is used in the book Super Mario, written by Jeff Ryan. It's a great book documenting the beginnings of Nintendo all the way up to the Wii.

Anyway, the "Seasoned Hardware" philosophy is the ethic of always using technology that has been around for sometime and therefore perfected. It's the reason Nintendo consoles stay somewhat behind the technological curve, yet last longer and have a lower fail rate. I think that's an interesting design ethic, what do you guys think?
m
l
February 12, 2013 12:17:53 AM

voiidwulf said:
Yeah, that is true. Back in 2005 - 2008 I was fully console and probably made fun of PC gamers.

I was meaning at this point, excluding emulators, Xbox 360 and PS3 have no advantages over PC other than cost. Wii at least has some other stuff.

I am not trying to start a war or anything. I was just stating my opinion.

Not sure how you can exclude an emulator when the emulator in question is better than the console in most cases. You'll have to explain what it is that the Wii can do that Dolphin can't do, at several times the resolution.

I know you're not trying to start a war, I just disagree with your assertion. I'm not calling you an idiot or anything. Just interested in you qualifying your opinion. From where I sit specifically, Xbox360 PS3 and Wii all have the same "advantage" over PC; exclusive titles. Discounting those exclusives, neither of the 3 consoles offers anything that can't be had in better form on the PC. Albeit, to experience the Wii on PC you need an emulator, but that emulator isn't illegal, is free, and you can run still purchase and play retail games with it.

Retrowire said:
My PS3 died 2 yrs ago, my 360 died last month. My NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, NDS, GBA are all I've got left. And they're all in perfect working condition. I credit this durability to Nintendo's "Seasoned Hardware" philosophy. That term is used in the book Super Mario, written by Jeff Ryan. It's a great book documenting the beginnings of Nintendo all the way up to the Wii.

Anyway, the "Seasoned Hardware" philosophy is the ethic of always using technology that has been around for sometime and therefore perfected. It's the reason Nintendo consoles stay somewhat behind the technological curve, yet last longer and have a lower fail rate. I think that's an interesting design ethic, what do you guys think?

The same can be said for SEGA's old consoles. Same with their controllers. Both Nintendo and SEGA (as well as Sony during the PS1 era) made controllers that have lasted through year after year of abuse. It's hard to get an xbox360 controller to last the better part of 1 year without a button starting to fail or an analog stick wearing out. I think it's likely a result of, over the years, it becoming apparent how much garbage gamers are willing to put up with.

During the early console days, they still weren't a proven money maker and there wasn't the assumed guarantee that gamers would buy anything you put in front of them, so SEGA and Nintendo felt compelled to design the best hardware they possibly could, with the best materials available to them. Nowadays, with the advent and proliferation of the internet it's not hard to do a quick scan of every gaming forum on the net and see that when someone's controller or console dies out, what is their most common response? To buy another one of the same brand. "Damn had to buy another Xbox360 controller mine died!" Honestly, the reason console hardware and peripheral quality is diminishing is because it's obvious that gamers have no reservations about, or sense of, responsible consumerism in the slightest.

edit- quick addition, I get what you're saying about the "tried and true" but slightly older hardware, but it's a bit fallacious in this case. The components that cause the 360 to fail for example are often not something that was new technology when the console was developed. The simple mechanical aspects of it die. It's a fate that can equally befall a Wii for example, but presumably doesn't as often because the Wii is simply assembled better.
m
l
February 13, 2013 3:59:03 AM

casualcolors said:
Not sure how you can exclude an emulator when the emulator in question is better than the console in most cases. You'll have to explain what it is that the Wii can do that Dolphin can't do, at several times the resolution.

I know you're not trying to start a war, I just disagree with your assertion. I'm not calling you an idiot or anything. Just interested in you qualifying your opinion. From where I sit specifically, Xbox360 PS3 and Wii all have the same "advantage" over PC; exclusive titles. Discounting those exclusives, neither of the 3 consoles offers anything that can't be had in better form on the PC. Albeit, to experience the Wii on PC you need an emulator, but that emulator isn't illegal, is free, and you can run still purchase and play retail games with it.

Yeah, you've pretty much dis-proven all my points.

I'm confused about the legality of emulators though. I didn't realize you could actually use the legit discs. Since nobody seems to stop emulators and all my emulator-using friends just download them I assumed the downloading and use of ROMs/ISOs was legal. (Well, for retro games. I assume Wii is illegal. I've never really emulated anything more recent than GBA though.)
m
l
February 13, 2013 4:09:38 AM

voiidwulf said:
Yeah, you've pretty much dis-proven all my points.

I'm confused about the legality of emulators though. I didn't realize you could actually use the legit discs. Since nobody seems to stop emulators and all my emulator-using friends just download them I assumed the downloading and use of ROMs/ISOs was legal. (Well, for retro games. I assume Wii is illegal. I've never really emulated anything more recent than GBA though.)

Essentially, emulators are only programs that find ways to interpret game roms/isos/etc and in that way they skirt DMCA-related issues and C&D's etc. It's not like you're reverse engineering the box.

Downloading roms and isos is never technically legal (as proven by former "freeware" or "abandonware" games coming back via SEGA re-releases on PC etc). But again, you can technically create your own personal roms, iso's, chd's etc from your own legally purchased copies of games and maintain them without distributing them, and play them completely legally in your emulator.
m
l
!