Sign in with
Your question

Setting up a 100man lan??

Last response: in Video Games
February 4, 2013 1:48:39 PM

Hi all,

I've been at a few lans and I have had a few small 5buddy lans in the past, but now I want to host a 100man lan. And I'm sure that a normal router wont do?

I know I'm suppose to have servers etc. but I need some advice on all aspects please, as I do not want to disappoint the guests.

How does the power work? Please explain this in the most noob way, as I'm pretty useless with electricity.....

Then what routers etc do i need to setup a 100 man lan?

How strong should the servers be? i have a duo core, 4 gb ram pc and a i3, 4gb ram Laptop....(will have other servers aswell)

Whats the best setup and how does the seup work? (lol i feel like such a noob)

Thanks!

Kind Regards,

More about : setting 100man lan

February 4, 2013 2:59:49 PM

Hold up there a minute partner, that's an awefully big jump.

Venue:-
*finding a hall which holds 100 people and the caretakers trust you enough to leave you alone with it and abuse their internet connection for the time of the LAN is a tall order
*simply holding 100 people is not enough, it will also need, preferably quiet, sleeping areas
*most large LANs run Friday night to Sunday afternoon/night, you will need to hire the hall for this time plus time either side for setup/clearup, probably Thursday to Sunday as the setup takes time especially your first one) but the cleanup can be done reasonably quickly when everyone mucks in

Internet connection:-
*an internet connection or multiple connections, but a single fast one is better than multiple slow ones but you've got to work with what you've got
*heavy duty router like ClearOS which allows you to control internet speeds (up to the limit of the internet connection), port access and web redirects all depending on your internet connection(s)
*a local ftp/file server with a cache of Steam games and other popular downloads like drivers, game patches and freeware/shareware

To keep the peeps amused:-
*one or more computers running dedicated servers for games, a single quad core computer is capable of running multiple dedicated servers
*possibly another computer running the intranet which keeps the peep up to date on what's happening and acts a hub for food runs as well as, possibly, a chat server (this could the same machine as the ftp/file server)
*a PA system, with that many peeps you've got to have something so they can hear you over their din
*a projector for presentations and other things like tournament finals, prize givings or cartoons/videos

Power:-
*allow for roughly 500W per computer, this means 6 computers from a 13A socket
*that would mean a bare minimum of 16 sockets which would probably blow the ring main
*most large LANs have custom power setups which plugs into a heavier supply in the hall

Networking:-
*assuming you're looking at 24-port switches you will need a minimum of 5 switches plus a spare
*these days eveyone looks for gigabit but 100Mb with gig uplink should suffice
*managed/smart switches would be nice but are not necessary
*a lot of network patch cables, you're better to make your own

Security/Tech help:-
*you're not capable of doing all this by yourself, you're going to need help.
*you will need security, this can either be handled by an outside firm or ,more likely, your admin/staff team
*you've got possibly 100 complete strangers coming to your LAN, not all of them come with good intentions :( 
*why? there will be something like £100K-£200K of computer kit at your event
*the servers will need knowledge to set up and run them
*the network will need knowledge to setup, run it and diagnose it when it screws up
*you'll need muscle to setup and breakdown the power, network, chairs and tables and anything else you have planned for the LAN

The Plan:-
*why? a 5 man LAN is fun, it's spontanious, you're with your freinds, you can have a laugh. however, it does not scale up, there are simply too many strangers who don't know your your friends, but will in time
*have a schedule for the event, try to stick to it
*let people know what your plan is upfront, if people don't know what they're coming to they might not come

Other notes:-
*your servers do not need to be xeon/opteron machines, they can simply be repurposed desktop machines

My Suggestion:-
Try a 30 man LAN a few times before moving onto bigger things. It will give you experience in running slightly larger/more complex LANs. It will grow the ranks of your admin/staff team (these have GOT to be people you trust). It will help grow your budget as jumping from a 5 man LAN straight to a 100 man LAN needs heavy investment. It will also help you gauge if there is the demand for a 100 man LAN in your area.
m
l
February 4, 2013 3:12:41 PM

Wow that's a good reply! thanks.

Can you please go into more detail regarding the power, like what exactly we need and how to build a customer rig etc. My friend is jacked up on servers and stuff as he is a IT manager.

But I don't think we have enough knowledge on the power side.

We will be making the network cables and stuff and we will use gigabit switches and stuff...

How much staff do we need? As we were hoping to be the 2 of us, security and then Maybe one other guy jacked up on servers and stuff. I will learn quickly all the thing I need to know.

Whats a PA system? haha. and DIM? 0_0

Thanks allot!
m
l
Related resources
February 4, 2013 4:03:01 PM

I don't run LANs, I just attend them, talk to the organizers and nosey around a bit so my knowledge on how to run them or their setup isn't the best. There's actually more to running them than I know, or have said.

Anyway, Power.
One of my local LANs has been as big as a 100 man. Their power setup consisted of 3-phase hookup to the main lighting supply for the stage. This ran to 6 breaker boxes which then ran out, in pairs, to 3 rows of tables. All of the power cable from the supply box to the sockets under the tables was wire armoured.

Your setup may reflect this, it may be nothing like it. It all depends on what your venue can actually support. Your whole setup for power, networking and seating will centre around what your venue can support, and it's something you won't know until you go and visit the place. It could even be a deal breaker if you cannot come up with a setup to fit your venue.

Staffing
Our lot ran with about 8-10 staff, that was for 60-80 man LANs. They might have had an extra one or two for the 100 man LANs, I don't know. However, they doubled as security and a few other roles including head cook and bottle washer. Last year I was at a 300 man LAN, they had a team of about 30, there was also a seperate security team.

If you're planning for 3 of you plus a security team you might get away with it but your going to be spread mightily thin. What happens at 4am when someone want you to run a server, sort an ip address issue on their computer or mop out the loo because someone had too much to drink.

Of course, if you have a team of willing volunteers you trust, you don't need to hire security guards.

PA - Prince Albert?
No, it's a public announcement system. Basically, it's a microphone, amplifier and loud speakers.
m
l
February 4, 2013 4:08:00 PM

pauls3743 said:
Hold up there a minute partner, that's an awefully big jump.

Venue:-
*finding a hall which holds 100 people and the caretakers trust you enough to leave you alone with it and abuse their internet connection for the time of the LAN is a tall order
*simply holding 100 people is not enough, it will also need, preferably quiet, sleeping areas
*most large LANs run Friday night to Sunday afternoon/night, you will need to hire the hall for this time plus time either side for setup/clearup, probably Thursday to Sunday as the setup takes time especially your first one) but the cleanup can be done reasonably quickly when everyone mucks in

Internet connection:-
*an internet connection or multiple connections, but a single fast one is better than multiple slow ones but you've got to work with what you've got
*heavy duty router like ClearOS which allows you to control internet speeds (up to the limit of the internet connection), port access and web redirects all depending on your internet connection(s)
*a local ftp/file server with a cache of Steam games and other popular downloads like drivers, game patches and freeware/shareware

To keep the peeps amused:-
*one or more computers running dedicated servers for games, a single quad core computer is capable of running multiple dedicated servers
*possibly another computer running the intranet which keeps the peep up to date on what's happening and acts a hub for food runs as well as, possibly, a chat server (this could the same machine as the ftp/file server)
*a PA system, with that many peeps you've got to have something so they can hear you over their din
*a projector for presentations and other things like tournament finals, prize givings or cartoons/videos

Power:-
*allow for roughly 500W per computer, this means 6 computers from a 13A socket
*that would mean a bare minimum of 16 sockets which would probably blow the ring main
*most large LANs have custom power setups which plugs into a heavier supply in the hall

Networking:-
*assuming you're looking at 24-port switches you will need a minimum of 5 switches plus a spare
*these days eveyone looks for gigabit but 100Mb with gig uplink should suffice
*managed/smart switches would be nice but are not necessary
*a lot of network patch cables, you're better to make your own

Security/Tech help:-
*you're not capable of doing all this by yourself, you're going to need help.
*you will need security, this can either be handled by an outside firm or ,more likely, your admin/staff team
*you've got possibly 100 complete strangers coming to your LAN, not all of them come with good intentions :( 
*why? there will be something like £100K-£200K of computer kit at your event
*the servers will need knowledge to set up and run them
*the network will need knowledge to setup, run it and diagnose it when it screws up
*you'll need muscle to setup and breakdown the power, network, chairs and tables and anything else you have planned for the LAN

The Plan:-
*why? a 5 man LAN is fun, it's spontanious, you're with your freinds, you can have a laugh. however, it does not scale up, there are simply too many strangers who don't know your your friends, but will in time
*have a schedule for the event, try to stick to it
*let people know what your plan is upfront, if people don't know what they're coming to they might not come

Other notes:-
*your servers do not need to be xeon/opteron machines, they can simply be repurposed desktop machines

My Suggestion:-
Try a 30 man LAN a few times before moving onto bigger things. It will give you experience in running slightly larger/more complex LANs. It will grow the ranks of your admin/staff team (these have GOT to be people you trust). It will help grow your budget as jumping from a 5 man LAN straight to a 100 man LAN needs heavy investment. It will also help you gauge if there is the demand for a 100 man LAN in your area.

Hi :) 

I am impressed,,,BRILLIANT advice...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
February 4, 2013 4:09:13 PM

ok will do.

Haha thanks.

Much appreciated.

Any other Pro's thats ran a few lans this big?
m
l
February 4, 2013 4:09:22 PM

To the OP...you have thought about the cost of Insurance... the hall wont let you have this meet without it...and it wont be cheap...

m
l
February 4, 2013 4:16:37 PM

^+1

insurance (I'm sure it's liability insurance) was on my mind but it kinda got lost with everything else on my mind
m
l
February 4, 2013 4:18:19 PM

Brett928S2 said:

To the OP...you have thought about the cost of Insurance... the hall wont let you have this meet without it...and it wont be cheap...

I've thought of it. And I will have to speak to the guy at the venue I got. He seems very chilled. And well mmm dammit you guys are causing me to stress now....haha

We will definitely let the users also sign a form agreeing to the rules, and that we do not take responsibility for any dmg etc.

The main thing im worried about is the power now... I thought a few 100amp breakers and a few leads would do the trick... haha
m
l
February 4, 2013 5:32:08 PM

jakesbotha said:
I've thought of it. And I will have to speak to the guy at the venue I got. He seems very chilled. And well mmm dammit you guys are causing me to stress now....haha

We will definitely let the users also sign a form agreeing to the rules, and that we do not take responsibility for any dmg etc.

The main thing im worried about is the power now... I thought a few 100amp breakers and a few leads would do the trick... haha

Think about LIABILITY INSURANCE this way.... so you get your guys to agree its not your responsibility etc...

Then someone gets electrocuted and dies.... their FAMILY then takes YOU to court for Millions, and you lose and have to pay that family ALL your wages for the rest of your life.......that's why you have Insurance...

m
l
February 5, 2013 6:01:03 PM

You won't need anything too beefy as far as a network environment goes.

Switches: just make sure you have enough ports and the speed of them is 100Mbps or 1Gbps. (If not all are 1Gbps, plan so that you don't bottleneck everything with a 100Mbps linking several other 1Gbps switches.) NO HUBS! They'll slow the entire network.

Router: nothing more than a higher end, stable home router is required. Maybe make it wireless N minimum so that you maintain speed, w/o EVERYONE needing a cable.
m
l
February 5, 2013 6:02:54 PM

Oh, and a standard 192.168.x.x 255.255.255.0 network will give enough network IP's for 254 devices.
m
l
February 5, 2013 6:28:04 PM

ittimjones said:
Oh, and a standard 192.168.x.x 255.255.255.0 network will give enough network IP's for 254 devices.

Thanks man. So the router would probably be for internet? Or do you need a router for the whole network? As we normally used a 24port switch when we threw a LAN at my friends house with about 10 guys...

Sorry, I'm very noob at this. But will learn quick if I get to work with it all. I probably know more than I think, just in easier terms than what you guys are explaining it in.

Just on the power again. In my terms : how big must each breaker in the main power box be for each plug point on the sides of the hall (where we will initially plug a lead in that leads to the different areas where the guys will connect their pc's?

Do you understand what im trying to ask?

Haha
m
l
!