Sign in with
Your question

Battlefield 3 coming to steam?

Last response: in Video Games
February 5, 2013 5:09:20 AM

so i was reading around and stuff and i saw people were saying that battlefield will come to steam once all of the DLC is released and so will every other EA game. Is this true? It makes sense to me because i know that EA doesn't like the way that steam regulates DLC and stuff so i though all EA titles shall forever remain in their Origin (anyone?).
February 5, 2013 9:58:59 AM

Nope , they won't be coming.
EA already has Origin and seeing as Valve takes 15-20% of the profit from every game sold on steam , the chances of EA releasing new titles on steam are pretty non-existent.
They would want to promote their own software , especially with all the new releases this year.
I don't think that they would release on both steam AND origin cuz if they released it on steam , most of their demographic , considering the people know about steam , would be redirected towards steam for all the discounts and bells and whistles that steam is very fond of giving with purchases.
Although they could counter that by making fewer physical copies of Steam version and more of retail versions.
But seeing that the age of physical DVD may be coming to a halt after 20 years or so , that strategy won't be very effective.
According to steam , about 60-70% of their purchases were online. That statistic won't change even though the EA games are available on Origin too.
Their profit margin would decrease to the point where Origin would be rendered obsolete.
There are no discounts or sales on Origin (whose fault is that EA) so most of the populace won't be inclined to take that path.
So all in all , no. They won't be releasing games on steam unless some other factor like server downtime or massive hack with stolen account information leads to the "Fall of Origin"
m
l
February 5, 2013 12:10:23 PM

its not only the fact steam takes a cut its the fact steam has sales every month.
e.a want the full price for there product and have only 1s offered a reduction in the cost of the bf3 expansion pack B2K just befor they released the premium pack. since then the game has stayed at its £40 price tag. steam on the other hand would have been selling it for half price by now.
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2013 12:30:28 PM

Just to add to this. The main reason why new EA products have left the STEAM arena is because of certain clauses in STEAM contracts. You can't push a title in more than one digital sale platform (as per STEAM's requirement). This is what happened to Crysis 2...which could no longer have the "priviledge" of being sold on STEAM when Origin came out.

m
l
February 5, 2013 2:07:28 PM

Queries solved , rumors debunked and hopes crushed.
We all know what comes next.
m
l
February 5, 2013 2:40:40 PM

HEXiT said:
its not only the fact steam takes a cut its the fact steam has sales every month.
e.a want the full price for there product and have only 1s offered a reduction in the cost of the bf3 expansion pack B2K just befor they released the premium pack. since then the game has stayed at its £40 price tag. steam on the other hand would have been selling it for half price by now.

While you are correct for the most part, I've seen BF3 on sale for $12 a few times in the past year.

Granted, it's not premium edition, but Origin still does sales(not nearly as good as steam sales however).
m
l
February 5, 2013 8:58:25 PM

Yeah, I got BF3 for $12 during a Black Friday sale.
m
l
!