Verizon Push to Talk

I am currently with Nextel and their Direct Connect is my primary means of
communication. I am thinking of switching to Verizon and using their PTT.
I went to a retail store over the weekend, and the rep assured me that the
second rollout of Verizon's PTT is right there with Nextel. Is there anyone
in this group that has the new service with Verizon, specifically with the
new LG VX4700. Thanks for any input.
20 answers Last reply
More about verizon push talk

    "Jimmy D" <jimmyd@anon.com> wrote in news:yjHre.7356$5s1.237@trndny06:

    > the rep assured me that the
    > second rollout of Verizon's PTT is right there with Nextel.

    He's dreamin'...(d^:) Nextel is a trunk radio system, iDen. Its cellular-
    like interconnect to regular telephones is an afterthought. Cellular
    companies trying to horn in on Nextel's business are cellular companies,
    whos systems are designed for full duplex telephone service. PTT is a
    bastardization of their data service....like VoIP on the net. Their
    latency eats them alive.

    Besides, if you are talking to OTHER Nextel customers on PTT, you will NOT
    be able to talk to them on any other company....except to call their phone
    number on cellular. The PTT systems are NOT interconnected. Over their
    cold, dead bodies...(c;

    --
    Larry

    You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
    chalk.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Jimmy D wrote:
    > Damn you guys are VERY ANGRY!!! I am just looking for some clean cut input.
    > I have about 100 people that are going to make the switch. I know that one
    > carrier's phone service will not work with another. i.e.. Nextel to Verizon
    > vise versa.

    I can offer this observation. After a number of friends with businesses
    observed me having full duplex conversations without the clock running
    they dropped their Nextel plans and went with VZW. As a side benefit VZW
    has much better coverage.

    As far as angry one of the answers you got is from the resident mad at
    VZW for some unknown reason trolls...
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    "Jimmy D" <jimmyd@anon.com> wrote in message
    > Damn you guys are VERY ANGRY!!! I am just looking for some clean
    cut input.
    > I have about 100 people that are going to make the switch. I know
    that one
    > carrier's phone service will not work with another. i.e.. Nextel to
    Verizon
    > vise versa.

    Hi Jimmy,

    For a 100 line switch the VZW rep should be willing to loan you a
    couple of phones and let you try it for 14 days.

    Just remember, with Nextel PTT is basic and regular cell is an add on
    With Verizon regular cell is basic and PTT is an add on.

    But TRY BEFORE YOU BUY !

    Richard

    Inter carrier phone service works just fine. You can make phone calls
    between them just the same as always. It is the ptt functions that do
    not inter operate.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    George <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in news:S4GdndOzBPW_gS3fRVn-
    2A@adelphia.com:

    > I can offer this observation. After a number of friends with businesses
    > observed me having full duplex conversations without the clock running
    > they dropped their Nextel plans and went with VZW.

    It is interesting to note that with Nextel, 24/7, INCOMING calls are not
    charged to you. So, if you are running a business with lots of incoming
    calls eating up your VZW minutes during the business day, Nextel's free
    incoming calls makes a lot of sense. The actual number of included
    (nothing is free) minutes in either plan isn't comparible if you take lots
    of business calls daily coming in. Nextel wins every time if your incoming
    minutes monthly is over 500. It's really a judgement call.

    Of course, if you're in an industry like construction where everyone talks
    to everyone on Nextel PTT, VZW isn't an issue at all, PTT or no PTT. In
    businesses like that, noone uses timed minutes. They switch to their
    vendor's Nextel PTT group and call him for free...all day long.

    The two services aren't competitors. One sells glitzy toyphones to teenage
    girls...the other sells trunk radios to businesses.

    --
    Larry

    You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
    chalk.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    "Larry W4CSC" <noone@home.com> wrote in message

    > It is interesting to note that with Nextel, 24/7, INCOMING calls are
    not
    > charged to you. So, if you are running a business with lots of
    incoming
    > calls eating up your VZW minutes during the business day, Nextel's
    free
    > incoming calls makes a lot of sense. The actual number of included
    > (nothing is free) minutes in either plan isn't comparible if you
    take lots
    > of business calls daily coming in. Nextel wins every time if your
    incoming
    > minutes monthly is over 500. It's really a judgement call.
    >
    > Of course, if you're in an industry like construction where everyone
    talks
    > to everyone on Nextel PTT, VZW isn't an issue at all, PTT or no PTT.
    In
    > businesses like that, noone uses timed minutes. They switch to
    their
    > vendor's Nextel PTT group and call him for free...all day long.

    Hi Larry,

    That's a valid point..................as far as it goes.

    The problem is that all those construction workers have wives, girl
    friends, family and other friends (who DON'T use Nextel) and they talk
    to those folks as well.

    And that's where the Nextel user gets creamed.

    Nextel's business model has always been to either give away or lowball
    the Direct Connect minutes and then charge like a wounded bull for
    everything else.

    We have a very small number of customers for whom the genuine Nextel
    PTT is a must or so they think.
    But we run a monthly calculation showing them what they are paying for
    the regular cell minutes and the impact that's having on their total
    bill. It's amazing how that changes their attitude over
    time.......................especially now that the competition offers
    free in network calling.

    Richard (3 Watts forever ! )
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Larry W4CSC wrote:

    > The two services aren't competitors. One sells glitzy toyphones to teenage
    > girls...the other sells trunk radios to businesses.

    Actually many view the nextel radios as toy things. Just think, you get
    to play "Captain Commando" all day long with simplex WWII conversations
    if you use a nextel radio.

    I was just working at a site today and there were too guys from a large
    service company who I usually bump into. I noticed they no longer had
    nextel and asked what they were using. They said the company switched
    over to VZW because the users didn't want to deal with the walkie-talkie
    "feature". Now they can call others and either put the speakerphone on
    and set the phone down or use a headset and have a full duplex call.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Jimmy,

    You have to look at what you need more: A two-way radio with a cell phone
    or a cell phone that also has two-way (delayed) capability. Verizon's PTW
    uses the cell feature of the phone; while the delay may get shorter, it will
    never be as short as Nextel. Another thing to consider is if your users
    communicate with other Nextel users outside of your company to get their
    work done. Ultimately, you have to go with whichever company makes better
    business sense, however with 100 phones, I would imagine that Nextel would
    make it worth your while to stay...

    "RICHARD GORDON" <richard_r_gordonATmsnDOTcom> wrote in message

    > "Jimmy D" <jimmyd@anon.com> wrote in message
    > > Damn you guys are VERY ANGRY!!! I am just looking for some clean
    > cut input.
    > > I have about 100 people that are going to make the switch. I know
    > that one
    > > carrier's phone service will not work with another. i.e.. Nextel to
    > Verizon
    > > vise versa.
    >
    > Hi Jimmy,
    >
    > For a 100 line switch the VZW rep should be willing to loan you a
    > couple of phones and let you try it for 14 days.
    >
    > Just remember, with Nextel PTT is basic and regular cell is an add on
    > With Verizon regular cell is basic and PTT is an add on.
    >
    > But TRY BEFORE YOU BUY !
    >
    > Richard

  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    > That's a valid point..................as far as it goes.
    >
    > The problem is that all those construction workers have wives, girl
    > friends, family and other friends (who DON'T use Nextel) and they talk
    > to those folks as well.
    >
    > And that's where the Nextel user gets creamed.

    Not really. My friend next door is an Electrical contractor. His wife
    owns a leather business. They both use their own Nextel group and talk on
    PTT all day. Other electricians all have Nextel on other groups. Most of
    them I know also have Nextel phones in the wife's possession. It's all
    PTT....fast PTT.

    > Nextel's business model has always been to either give away or lowball
    > the Direct Connect minutes and then charge like a wounded bull for
    > everything else.
    >
    > We have a very small number of customers for whom the genuine Nextel
    > PTT is a must or so they think.
    > But we run a monthly calculation showing them what they are paying for
    > the regular cell minutes and the impact that's having on their total
    > bill. It's amazing how that changes their attitude over
    > time.......................especially now that the competition offers
    > free in network calling.
    >
    > Richard (3 Watts forever ! )

    Most Nextel customers I know really have no choice. The warehouse guys at
    the supply houses all have a Nextel group. Most of these businesses do not
    allow employees to call out on Nextel. They're restricted to PTT service
    and incoming phone calls. Outgoing is locked out so they use no minutes at
    all! Only the supervisory personnel are using outgoing minutes. These
    companies let the workers take their phones home and use them all they like
    as it costs the company nothing extra. Wives can call them, but they can
    only call 911. If they had VZW PTT, I'm not sure how that would lockout
    and the wives calling in would cost the company so the phones would
    probably stay on the job.

    As I said, as long as Nextel has a lock on the majority of inter-business
    PTT between users and suppliers, even if VZW gets the latency issue to
    microseconds, if you can't call 'em....who cares?

    Another issue is the tougher iDen phones. I've got a couple of really
    rugged Nextel phones a friend gave me when he switched his company to
    Alltel. You can just look at them and see they were never designed for
    glitzy Barbie dolls to carry in their pink purses. I don't think VZW or
    any of the glitz carriers has a really rugged phone you can drag on the
    ground under a house fixing the wiring, do they? Electricians don't care
    about color screens, cameras, ringtones, games....just PTT that works after
    the phone got dropped in the mud or they fell on it off the ladder.

    --
    Larry

    You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
    chalk.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    I've heard that the long-term plan of SprintPCS-Nextel is to migrate all
    of the iDEN/SMR stuff to CDMA. The particular PTT protocol used by
    SprintPCS is supposed to be faster than the one used by VZW.

    Ok, I read all the posts and no one seems to have used the Verizon Push to
    Talk. That is the main reason for my post. I am looking for users on the
    VERIZON PUSH TO TALK and what they think of it compared to Nextel. Are
    there any former Nextel users who made the switch?
    "Jimmy D" <jimmyd@anon.com> wrote in message
    >I am currently with Nextel and their Direct Connect is my primary means of
    > communication. I am thinking of switching to Verizon and using their PTT.
    > I went to a retail store over the weekend, and the rep assured me that the
    > second rollout of Verizon's PTT is right there with Nextel. Is there
    > anyone
    > in this group that has the new service with Verizon, specifically with the
    > new LG VX4700. Thanks for any input.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    My understanding is they are trying to make dual-mode phones that can
    operate in both CDMA and iDen at the same time, unlike the i2000/i2000+ that
    can only operate in one at a time.

    "CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
    > I've heard that the long-term plan of SprintPCS-Nextel is to migrate all
    > of the iDEN/SMR stuff to CDMA. The particular PTT protocol used by
    > SprintPCS is supposed to be faster than the one used by VZW.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    How many WWII conversations on radios were held between people over 2000
    miles apart?

    Nextel doesn't advertise using PTT for long conversations. If you watch
    their commercials, they all highlight the use of PTT for short
    conversations.

    "George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Larry W4CSC wrote:
    >

    > > The two services aren't competitors. One sells glitzy toyphones to
    teenage
    > > girls...the other sells trunk radios to businesses.
    > >
    > Actually many view the nextel radios as toy things. Just think, you get
    > to play "Captain Commando" all day long with simplex WWII conversations
    > if you use a nextel radio.
    >
    > I was just working at a site today and there were too guys from a large
    > service company who I usually bump into. I noticed they no longer had
    > nextel and asked what they were using. They said the company switched
    > over to VZW because the users didn't want to deal with the walkie-talkie
    > "feature". Now they can call others and either put the speakerphone on
    > and set the phone down or use a headset and have a full duplex call.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Ok, I read all the posts and no one seems to have used the Verizon Push to
    Talk. That is the main reason for my post. I am looking for users on the
    VERIZON PUSH TO TALK and what they think of it compared to Nextel. Are
    there any former Nextel users who made the switch?

    "Jimmy D" <jimmyd@anon.com> wrote in message
    >I am currently with Nextel and their Direct Connect is my primary means of
    > communication. I am thinking of switching to Verizon and using their PTT.
    > I went to a retail store over the weekend, and the rep assured me that the
    > second rollout of Verizon's PTT is right there with Nextel. Is there
    > anyone
    > in this group that has the new service with Verizon, specifically with the
    > new LG VX4700. Thanks for any input.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    "Jimmy D" <jimmyd@anon.com> wrote in news:sKhse.7608$fa3.1695@trndny01:

    > Ok, I read all the posts and no one seems to have used the Verizon
    > Push to Talk. That is the main reason for my post. I am looking for
    > users on the VERIZON PUSH TO TALK and what they think of it compared
    > to Nextel. Are there any former Nextel users who made the switch?

    Actually, we DID try VZW's PTT in the store. We gave it an honest test by
    calling the other store all the way across town! We pushed the
    button...waited...waited...BEEP!..connect! Then we said hello and unkeyed
    the button. Then, we waited and waited and BEEP! the other side said a
    garbled hello. Then, we asked them how long it took for them to hear us.
    At that point, it disconnected us for some reason and the sales person
    seemed anxious to get rid of us asking silly questions like that.

    These experiences are probably why you have such a time finding someone who
    used them. Nextel users are easy to find. Just ask the guy at the table
    behind you in any restaurant if his works...(c;

    --
    Larry

    You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
    chalk.

    I posted this a little while back...
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.cellular.verizon/browse_frm/thread/d1cc2dfa966f8375/36eb1291014b65a4?q=infinitisound&rnum=1#36eb1291014b65a4

    The verizon ptt is slow to connect... about 15 seconds in my
    experiences. After that it was ok but that defeats the purpose of ptt.

    Here is some info from someone that tried Verizon and Nextel PTT...

    There is no comparison. If you like Nextel's PTT, you will hate
    Verizon's PTT.
    I switched from Verizon to Nextel but I relied on the 2 week trial
    period to try it out. It is known that Nextel's coverage is not as
    good as Verizon's so what I did is drove to the places where I travel
    and checked the Nextel coverage. It was more than adequate so I stuck
    with Nextel. Like Richard Gordon said, Nextel's main feature is PTT
    and Verizon's is cell phone service. Ocassionaly (maybe once a week),
    Nextel will drop a call. And like Richard said, try before you buy.
    It took me a while to find a store that had Verizon's PTT, but I
    finally did find one only to find that Verizon's PTT is a joke.
    If you try Verizon's PTT in a store, be sure that you hit END on both
    phones. You will find it takes 15+ seconds to hear your message come
    on the other phone. Read my other posts for more info.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    On 6/15/05 5:19 PM, in article dKidndO93vU0By3fRVn-1Q@adelphia.com, "George"
    <george@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    > Larry W4CSC wrote:
    > Actually many view the nextel radios as toy things. Just think, you get
    > to play "Captain Commando" all day long with simplex WWII conversations
    > if you use a nextel radio.

    That the reaction at my job when a few of us got them. We got mocked on
    every time we used DC. Guess what, all those who used to mock us, now have
    Nextel. And non of them would give them up now. I really glad you are
    happy with Verizon.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    I currently have Verizon PTT phones for myself, my wife and mother. Also,
    My Brother-in-Law and Sister-in Law have Verizon PTT. We all recently
    switched over from Nextel.

    Verizon PTT is VOIP. It first has to register with a central website, then
    be directed to another website for traffic control and resource balancing
    purposes. This adds delay, latency, wait time; whatever you want to call
    it. Some have experimented with going into the service menu on their phones
    and changing the URL to a Secondary site to drop some of the wait. I don't
    consider that to be a permanent fix, nor a dependable one, as customer base
    grows or usage area changes.

    Nextel gives a nearly instant result, and passes whatever portion of the
    digital signal it can gather up from thier limited coverage. You could have
    a perfect conversation on one exchange and a digital waterfall if either
    person moves a few feet. It is a toss-up.

    Verizon will give you a relatively clear conversation with much fewer
    digital artifacts in most cases. It comes down to making a decision between
    always having instant connection and not always having understandable
    communications (Nextel) or having delayed routing and relatively clear
    communications (VZ).

    If all of you usage is under a Nextel coverage umbrella, then Nextel is
    probably the hands-down choice. However, if you live in the land of
    reality, and travel throughout fly-over county or expect to have continuous
    contact availability with others, you may want to consider Verizon, or
    another carrier that has a similar large footprint in rural areas or away
    from Interstate Highways.

    I still maintain a Boost prepaid phone to keep up with past Nextel contacts,
    and we have "zones" established around our houses that are most likely to
    provide understandable communications using the Nextel PTT system. Not
    exactly a model of portability, but still relatively quick contact time and
    overall good communcation; provided you stay within a few feet of the
    optimum RF Footprint - out here in fly over country.

    On the subject of the VX 4700, the family is using 5 of those now. They
    have been durable so far. Mine has been dropped quite a few times, with no
    damage. My brother-in-law works in a Bodyshop, and his sees quite a bit if
    abuse. I wouldn't put them up against one of Nextel's mil-spec ruggedized
    models, but would feel comfortable on a match up between the 4700 and one
    of big M's more recent trendsetter models. I also don't try to play chicken
    on my skateboard with an oncoming H2 Hummer. This is a subjective
    comparison, and some degree of previous thought will provide a higher degree
    of dependable results. Asking about the phone on the net before purchase is
    far better than jumping in, and seeing what you got later.

    There are a few bugs in the firmware of the 4700, one being a fixed PTT
    Alert volume; and it is way too low in comparison with Nextel's.

    A good feature of VZ's GIN enabled (Get It Now) phones is the ability to get
    "backdoor" high speed internet connectivity by using the phone tethered to a
    PC for peak minutes used or free nights and weekends.

    You can expect to pay an additional Premium of $10.00 per user if you go
    with VZ PTT ofer VZ Cellular only. On the family plan, VZ was offering up
    to 4 free VX4700 phones with the purchase of the first one. That would max
    out at $50.00 additional per month if you activated 5 on the family plan.
    as you can see the cost of PTT with VZ does command a premium.

    With the VX4700s, the family (all previous Nextel customers) are far more
    likely to dial one another than to gambler on the other being able to hear
    6the low volume PTT Alert tone that the phone has.

    I personally feel it will get better, as more carriers use either the
    Motorola VOIP or FastChat Client software to provide a PTT alternative.
    Competition will eventyally shake out a dependable service or eliminate it
    from the option list. It is a matter of time and how much you are willing
    to spend...

    "Jimmy D" <jimmyd@anon.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, I read all the posts and no one seems to have used the Verizon Push to
    > Talk. That is the main reason for my post. I am looking for users on the
    > VERIZON PUSH TO TALK and what they think of it compared to Nextel. Are
    > there any former Nextel users who made the switch?
    >

    > "Jimmy D" <jimmyd@anon.com> wrote in message
    >>I am currently with Nextel and their Direct Connect is my primary means of
    >> communication. I am thinking of switching to Verizon and using their
    >> PTT.
    >> I went to a retail store over the weekend, and the rep assured me that
    >> the
    >> second rollout of Verizon's PTT is right there with Nextel. Is there
    >> anyone
    >> in this group that has the new service with Verizon, specifically with
    >> the
    >> new LG VX4700. Thanks for any input.

  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    I'm new around here, but man I tell you... don't walk but RUN away from VZW
    PTT. I just took back 5 LG VX4700's a week ago.

    The voice network is very good... not the greatest thing since sliced bread
    as my friends kept telling me. I'm on the road a LOT. I still had
    occasional dropped calls, but far less than I've experienced with Nextel and
    Sprint. If I needed a voice only phone I would go with VZW. For cheap data
    access I would go with Sprint. For PTT go for Nextel.

    I have had Nextel for about 4 months before trying out VZW PTT. Nextel has
    a lot of dead spots where I am so it seemed VZW's network was bigger.. which
    it is. BUT for PTT it was so difficult to make a connection, we had to make
    a voice call at least 80% of the time. I'm talking about a good MINUTE to
    make and TRY to complete a PTT session of just 3-4 sentences. The first PTT
    connection took about 5-8 seconds to arrive typically, with many times as
    long as 20 seconds (meaning it took that long for your first message to get
    transmitted to another phone). Once the connection was established
    subsequent connections were a lot faster with only a second or so delay
    which was fine for me. One thing I did was go to the VZW store and take a
    phone outside while my partner was inside and we made several connections.
    Now, in real world daily use, about 40% of the time you would make a PTT
    connection it was say 'connection failed'. So you have to try again.
    Another 40% of the time after you get one reply and hit PTT to carry on the
    conversation you immediately get a 'buzz' and it says 'connection failed'.
    All this with FULL status bars and where a phone connection worked 100% of
    the time. So while one of us is sitting somewhere trying to get an order
    placed with the store, MOST of the time it was so much faster to dial the
    store, say what you needed to say and hang up. The sound clarity of the
    phones were something to be desired also after using Nextel but was
    acceptible. The 'alert' tone can't be heard if you have the phone in your
    pocket or have ANY background noise such as the radio (and I'm not talking
    about blasting music) or have it in the seat with papers on top of it.

    What was even more annoying was that if you had missed a voice call, there
    was a status msg on the ext. display showing you had a miss call. You
    CANNOT make a PTT call without first opening the flip. Hitting cancel (or
    end), closing the flip and selecting a PTT user. And when a PTT call failed
    during the converstaion, you have to open the flip, clear, close the phone,
    hit PTT. SO time consuming.

    We started using Nextel again and it's like WOW... we were 300% more
    productive again.

    VZW PTT is great as a toy for kids or MAYBE a low usage family. That's it.
    Again for voice only usage, I'd say VZW is great especially with the 'IN'
    converage. But if you have daily use for PTT, then welcome to a nightmare.

    "Jimmy D" <jimmyd@anon.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, I read all the posts and no one seems to have used the Verizon Push to
    > Talk. That is the main reason for my post. I am looking for users on the
    > VERIZON PUSH TO TALK and what they think of it compared to Nextel. Are
    > there any former Nextel users who made the switch?
    >

    > "Jimmy D" <jimmyd@anon.com> wrote in message
    >>I am currently with Nextel and their Direct Connect is my primary means of
    >> communication. I am thinking of switching to Verizon and using their
    >> PTT.
    >> I went to a retail store over the weekend, and the rep assured me that
    >> the
    >> second rollout of Verizon's PTT is right there with Nextel. Is there
    >> anyone
    >> in this group that has the new service with Verizon, specifically with
    >> the
    >> new LG VX4700. Thanks for any input.

Verizon Connection Nextel Internet Service Providers