Why do some people still call the orbis "PS4"?

drnknanthon

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
It's like this. Why wasn't the first gen intel i series called by its project name? Example: Sandybridge 3, Sandybridge 5, sandybridge 7. It's just a project name. Plus, PS4 is way easier to say and type than Playstation Orbis. We won't know what to call it until it is announced. Even then, it'll still probably be called the PS4. Like everyone calls the iPad mini the iPad4.

That's pretty much how I see it as well, Orbis, is the internal name they have been using. I may be wrong but I fully expect it to be the PS4. They may change things up and give it a snazzy new title but I think PS4 is a safe bet.

Mactronix :)

iplikator3333

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

The vita is already called "vita" So why wouldn't they call the next playstaion "Orbis"?

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
I knew there was a PS4 in the pipeline.
The term "Orbis" I was not familiar with till this thread.

Also, with a PS4 I know what the hell they're talking about, it's obviously the thing to follow the PS, PS2 and PS3.
The Orbis would mean as much to me as Ouya and Zeebo.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

lol, it still has Playstation in it (PSVita), you don't just call it a Vita, just like you would not say "Orbis" or "Sony Orbis"

Because Vita was called NGP (Next Generation Portable) internally not Vita before it was released as the Vita.

iplikator3333

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

I said "playstation Orbis" that is most likely going to be it's final name!

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Look at you post, it says playstation "Orbis" not "Playstation Orbis" also I highly doubt they call it that, Its like a code name, like Project Orbis. Other then that, Orbis is not even a word, at least Vita means life in Italian.

Lets just wait and see shall we ? You asked and we are giving our opinions. Your Vita argument holds no water as I have proven
So your lack of knowledge on that front proves you have no inside knowledge.

Staude

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

There were some mumbling that it was a play on latin, where: Obis Vita ~ Circle of life.

I hope they call it "Playstation 4" though, when it's officially revealed (probably feb 20th). :p

iplikator3333

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

Why do you hope they called it that? The Playstation vita is already called "vita" and not "Psp2"

Give up guys iplikator3333 is just trolling foe an argument now. :non:
Same argument that I have already proven to be flawed :cry:

Mactronix :pfff:

Staude

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

The vita is not doing very well, though that is something for an entirely different topic, and calling it Playstation 4 would keep in line with previous consoles and it sounds simple, classy - and it wouldn't confuse the general consumer... Although theres the odd chance they just might call it "The Playstation", like microsoft is rumored to do with their next console (ie, calling it "The Xbox").

I have both a Playstation, Playstation 2 and a Playstation 3. :p Would like to get a Playstation 4 too when that comes out. :p Provided it's as awesome as I hope.

iplikator3333

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

Well, in any case, "playstation 4" isn't going to sound as attractive IMHO(especially to someone who doesn't know anything about playstation consoles at all) so I don't know why they would choose that name.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I guess people are probably sticking to PS4 because "Orbis" has an aesthetic about it that invokes memories of this image:

doos3.jpg

And no one wants to be reminded of this.