I'm going to lapp my vga silencer

PukePile

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004
Ok well snince im going to have my computer in pieces soon i thought i might as well lapp my vga silencer.I've read up on it and im going to use 600 grit and attach it to somthing flat like a peice of wood or something so i keep the heatsink bottom flat.Rub in a circluar motion untill i get somewhat a mirror finsh also i was thinking of sanding down the shim slightly.Right now the core sits slightly above the shim but i think sanding it down slightly would help.I dont want to pop the shim off snice the does make contact.You guys have any tips for me or any thing you would advise not to do?

40k in aquamark 3
<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=77119011
" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=77119011
</A>
P4b2.4@2.8||1024mb DDR@392mhz||9800pro@414/732||Viewsonic UltraBrite 19"||Kensington 800 dpi mouse.

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
I had some more questions about this myself. When you say use wet and dry sandpaper is that just like saying use emory cloth or something sturdy? Or are you saying wet it?

Also, when you say put the sandpaper on something to keep it flat like a board do you mean like a sanding block? or... I was wondering if you guys were talking about attaching the sandpaper to a board and then moving the heat sink over the board. Moving the heatsing instead of the sandpaper.

Also, what is the reward for lapping in so far as lowered temp? How much does it help?

ps lol, sorry for the newbie question but what do you mean by the shim? What shim are you talking about?*

poindexter

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
600 grit won't get you a mirror finish, especially if you use wood. You need to find something hard and smooth, like glass or a machined metal plate, for a backing. Use wet sandpaper as found in an auto body shop. the surface MUST be TOTALLY cleaned before you move to finer grits: 800, 1,200 grits are available but this is still not enough for a mirror finish. After the 1,200 you should move to machine polishing compound and use a buffer wheel, even a small one. After this you can use hand polishing compound-ask at the auto body shop/supply store which is the finest and change the direction the wheel tracks across the surface often. High speed buffing after the liquid compound dries will get you the mirror you want.