Funky Multiplyer

uther100

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Ok I've got an 1800+ with the palamino core that has not been unclocked. I have it paired with an asus a7n8x nforce2 mobo. Now I'm working again so I have money for a new processor. Before I buy that I want to try to overclock this one since it's more or less disposable.

Ok so I look in the bios and I see that if i change it to manual I can actually set the multiplyer up to 12.5 up from 11.5 and the vcore voltage up to 1.85v

Now why is this? Is that the standard for that processor, or did I maybe get a marked down 2000+

So aside from just setting the settings and testing it is there any way I can know what will happen or why I can move the vcore and multiplyer up ?

A last question. Since my ram sucks I want to leave the fsb alone so it's internal o/c time I've got a coolermaster all copper heatsink that runs it around 32* under load. I won't immediately fry anything will I? Rather will I get the chance to test for stability without instant burn out

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
It's very normal for a processor to be recognized as a higher model, lots of the first 2500+ has been mistakenly set as 200FSB as 3200+.

You won't fry anything at those temps.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be factory unlocked, but if it isn't, setting it at 12.5 would result in either the system not booting, or the system booting at 11.5x.

Now, if it was factory unlocked, you could probably raise it to 12.5x without problems.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

uther100

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
I don't understand what you mean. After I set it to 12.5 and rebooted the boot test stated my memory still at 133mhz. Speedswitchxp stated my speed still at 1500mhz so changing the multiplyer on the locked processor despite what the mobo said did nothing.

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
"Ok so I look in the bios and I see that if i change it to manual I can actually set the multiplyer up to 12.5 up from 11.5 and the vcore voltage up to 1.85v

Now why is this? Is that the standard for that processor, or did I maybe get a marked down 2000+ "

Why is that? It's because the nForce chipset mobo's offer the ability to change multipliers, vcore and FSB. It has nothing to do with the cpu installed. Those choices are "standard" features. Whether or not you can use them to your (OC) advantages does depend on your CPU.

"A last question. Since my ram sucks I want to leave the fsb alone so it's internal o/c time I've got a coolermaster all copper heatsink that runs it around 32* under load. I won't immediately fry anything will I? Rather will I get the chance to test for stability without instant burn out"

Your load temp is fine. Your not close to frying anything.

I may be misunderstanding, and excuse if that is so, but I sense some confusion on your part regarding OCing. For example, it seems that by changing the CPU's multiplier you expected your ram to run at something other than 133mhz (in your later post). It won't.

To OC the CPU you can:
1) increase the multi
2) increase the FSB
3) both of the above

Since your multi seems locked, your only choice is to increase the FSB. You can do this while keeping the cpu and ram in synch (which means you will be increasing the FSB that the ram runs at) or asynch. Asynch is not recommended for AMD systems, hurts performance. But if just experimenting with the cpu, you will increase the cpu's FSB, then use a divider to keep the ram at it's rated FSB of 133.

Again, excuse me if I've seen "confusion" where there is none.

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X200)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE