Downgrading From Windows 8 to 7

I'm about to buy a new pc for gaming and the only available option is windows 8. I looked up a few videos and decided I hate windows 8. So my question is, when buying a pc does the OS come previously installed or do you have to install it yourself. I ask this because when I buy this computer I plan on buying windows 7 separately and just installing that instead. Thanks for any replys!
33 answers Last reply
More about downgrading windows
  1. It's easily done, and I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for the time being instead of jumping to Windows 8.
    With that said; my first piece of advice would be to give Windows 8 a shot before concluding that it sucks just from videos online.

I have the preview or whatever client running on my fiance's machine and she is enjoying it. She runs games on Steam; including 3D intensive titles and they are running well.
  2. Actually 8 runs fast and stable , and I have had 0 issues with gaming.
  3. I'll definitely give it a go but I dont see myself sticking with it
  4. Give Windows 8 a try, don't judge by the videos. I had tried the earlier previews and hated it. With its final release, I'd put it on one of my PCs, 3 days later, I'd upgraded all of mine.

Gaming is perfectly fine, and works no different from Windows 7.

Take a bit of time to customize the Metro start screen to your needs (adding a shortcut for hibernate/shutdown, unpinning shortcuts that are automatically added, adding back shortcuts you want, etc.) and you'll appreciate the full screen launcher. Also, learn a few shortcuts for the start screen (Win+Q, Win+W, Win+X, Win+C) and you'll be fine.
  5. Alright hopefully I like it, I don't want to deal with the problem of installing a new OS. My main concern was being able to find things from the start screen, apparently you cant just type the name of the program you want anymore!
  6. Dan27 said:
    Alright hopefully I like it, I don't want to deal with the problem of installing a new OS. My main concern was being able to find things from the start screen, apparently you cant just type the name of the program you want anymore!

Hmmm..I use the search function and I can find just about everything. Also, like others, I've had no problem with games or anything, except for the fact thats Fraps won't display the FPS for some reason.
  7. just install win7 from scratch, format and all, since you won't have anything on it
  8. Really? If thats not the case then the only thing I wont like is the UI but I can get over that.
  9. Dan27 said:
    Really? If thats not the case then the only thing I wont like is the UI but I can get over that.

It's actually not as bad as you'd think. I still see my dekstop more than the start screen any day of the week. Although I have to admit I kinda miss the start button, I wish they left it in and had it bring you to the start screen instead, but I'll get over it :lol:
  10. OP, if you really want the start menu back and hate Metro, you an use Classic Shell or some other similarly functioning program. They still work to give you a start menu and to boot directly into the desktop instead of into Metro even in the final version of Windows 8. You still don't have Aero, but that's pretty much it. It's free and thus quite a bit cheaper than buying Windows 7.

However, honestly, I find the desktop and task bar to generally be plenty for my application launching needs. I even got the quick launch back (the functionality for it is still there even without any third party program, it's literally just a few clicks away) and at that point, I generally don't use the start menu nor the Metro menu. I really only used the start menu for the control panel and the right-side tool bar in Windows 8 has the control panel, so no big deal.
  11. I tried it also it just wasn't for me, I also loved Vista x64 bit when everyone else hated it, I never go by others opinions until I try it my self it would definitely be cool for any thing touch screen like phones, touch desktops/laptops but not my gaming rig just my opinion. My gaming rig will be win7 till I am forced to upgrade to something else and ill probably still duel boot win7 for awhile and just use the other OS when I want to play the new stuff. Good Luck with whatever you decide and have fun gaming ma dude.
  12. Windows 8 is more optimized for touch screens than 7, but it's no worse for regular keyboard and mouse configurations either, most certainly not for gaming where the screen is the same in game between both systems, Windows 8 is simply slightly faster and more resource-efficient (not noticeably so in gaming and barely noticed in benchmarks, but still).

Maybe you odn't like it, but I don't see hwo it matters. If you don't use Metro (I don't really use it at all), then the only major difference in the basic UI is the lack of Aero. I don't use Aero anyway, so there's no difference for me, but that's me.
  13. Yeah I found a program called RetroUI which pretty much just gets rid of Metro, but I may end up liking it so we'll see but thanks for the suggestions. Also any truth to game developers switching over to linux and leaving windows 8? That would suck alot for me
  14. "Classic Start Menu"

I couldn't switch to 7 before this . I hear they are making one for 8
  15. Dan27 said:
    Alright hopefully I like it, I don't want to deal with the problem of installing a new OS. My main concern was being able to find things from the start screen, apparently you cant just type the name of the program you want anymore!

Whoever told you that is an idiot. If I was putting money on it, I would say that they've never used Windows 8 themselves. In any case, that's completely wrong. Searching for a program you need to access from within the Start Screen in Windows 8 works the same as it did with the Start Menu in Windows 7. Just type the name, and the results will appear.
  16. Dan27 said:
    Yeah I found a program called RetroUI which pretty much just gets rid of Metro, but I may end up liking it so we'll see but thanks for the suggestions. Also any truth to game developers switching over to linux and leaving windows 8? That would suck alot for me

Some notables have threatened, but honestly, they can't ditch Windows. Doing so would be cutting out over 95% of their market. They would be running themselves into the ground...

Higher profile people like Gabe Newell at Valve have made some noise, but in Gabe's case, the beef is with the Windows Store. He thinks that because the Windows Store exists, Microsoft will have control over what the OEM's bundle with their computers, decreasing the already thin profit margins on new computers.

Problem is, not everything has to be done through the Windows Store, unless you're selling a Windows RT based device. OEM's can still bundle all of their crap inside the images they love to smear all over the new computers they produce, just like they always could with Windows 7.
  17. Yeah thats what I was thinking but wasn't sure, thanks!
  18. syntekz said:
    It's easily done, and I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for the time being instead of jumping to Windows 8.
    With that said; my first piece of advice would be to give Windows 8 a shot before concluding that it sucks just from videos online.

I have the preview or whatever client running on my fiance's machine and she is enjoying it. She runs games on Steam; including 3D intensive titles and they are running well.

I think people are entitled to see as they do in not liking it. Some people aren't a fan of the interface. Also windows 8 is quite different from what microsoft normally throws out there. They spent a lot of money and time with a lot of people disapproving of the direction and the continued down it. If you build a computer just get a oem of windows 7 if thats what you want. Otherwise like others have said taste test windows 8.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986
  19. Just going to test it and see if I can live with it if not then windows 7 it is. I read something about how since installing is so easy with win8 theres alot to do when trying to uninstall. I'm hoping to avoid doing that
  20. To be honest Win. 8 is not any faster then Win.7. A friend setup up 2 identical systems from scratch. Windows 8 installed 8sec. faster then 7. He installed programs and ran them, Win. 7 for the most part was a lil faster. Win. 7 also has less clicks to get to a program.
  21. Your question title is wrong, it should read "Upgrading to Windows 7 from Windows 8"
  22. Hahaha I might have to agree
  23. Dan27 said:
    I'm about to buy a new pc for gaming and the only available option is windows 8. I looked up a few videos and decided I hate windows 8. So my question is, when buying a pc does the OS come previously installed or do you have to install it yourself. I ask this because when I buy this computer I plan on buying windows 7 separately and just installing that instead. Thanks for any replys!

Where are you buying this PC from ? I find it strange that there is no W7 option ? Maybe you should look elsewhere to buy your PC ?

Mactronix :)
  24. Getting it from HP.com but yeah its weird they don't offer it.
  25. Hmm have you considered building a computer? Only reason I ask is I would be very careful in purchasing from a retailer why you may ask.

They always go cheap on
    RAM
    HARD DRIVE
    PSU (ESPECIALLY)
  26. I know asus does weird *** with their graphics cards and stuff but I haven't heard anything bad about HP. I'll look up some reviews though to be sure!
  27. Well people who normally buy from retailers like hp and dell typically don't buy for gaming purposes so I would look from the standpoint of people with decent cards in there system.

Look at the markups I'm looking at a hp with a 7950 for 439 dollars. So whats what 139 dollars markup. A 300 dollar no name power supply included looks the same with ram. Like I said buy with caution.

This is the one I was looking at
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-ENVY-All-in-One/C1U69AV?HP-ENVY-h8-1420t-Desktop-PC
  28. Oh that sounds bad. This is the one I was going to get but instead of the default graphics card I was going to get the 1.5 gb nvidia gtx 660
  29. I have looked at that one dan but hp has a 7950 at 429 dollars that's ridiculous
  30. Yeah thats not cool but the computer I selected doesn't seem to have any ridiculous markups
  31. But you don't know the motherboard which could be some cheap ass 20 dollar motherboard and you dont know the power supply which could also be some 20 dollar dumpster diving psu...... Whose up for a locked bios on a gaming machine
  32. very true but if something breaks hp's warranty covers it! Although building a pc is definitely the better answer, I don't know how and seems like alot of headaches and work getting everything to actaully function correctly
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Video Windows 8 Product