New Rates for Text Messaging starting 08/01/05

x-no-archive: yes

From http://www.verizonwireless.com/information

Notice of Change to TXT Messaging Rates;
Introducing New Unlimited TXT, PIX & FLIX Message Bundles
On August 1, 2005, the charge to receive TXT Messages will increase from
$0.02 to $0.10 per message. This will apply to domestic and international
TXT Messages (and, if applicable, to any TXT messages in excess of the
monthly allowance for Verizon Wireless' TXT Messaging bundles). The charge
for sending TXT Messages, both domestically and internationally, will not
change. As of April 18, a new IN Messaging bundle is available to Verizon
Wireless customers. These bundles allow you to send and receive UNLIMITED
TXT, PIX & FLIX Messages to and from any Verizon Wireless customer. Bundles
start as low as $5 per month.

Harsh. Even if you have a package, the overage will still be $0.10/$0.10.
28 answers Last reply
More about rates text messaging starting

    Stan wrote:

    > Notice of Change to TXT Messaging Rates;
    > Introducing New Unlimited TXT, PIX & FLIX Message Bundles
    > On August 1, 2005, the charge to receive TXT Messages will increase from
    > $0.02 to $0.10 per message. This will apply to domestic and international
    > TXT Messages (and, if applicable, to any TXT messages in excess of the
    > monthly allowance for Verizon Wireless' TXT Messaging bundles). The charge
    > for sending TXT Messages, both domestically and internationally, will not
    > change. As of April 18, a new IN Messaging bundle is available to Verizon
    > Wireless customers. These bundles allow you to send and receive UNLIMITED
    > TXT, PIX & FLIX Messages to and from any Verizon Wireless customer. Bundles
    > start as low as $5 per month.
    >
    > Harsh. Even if you have a package, the overage will still be $0.10/$0.10.

    Harsh, maybe, but Verizon was cheap for incoming SMS. Sprint and others have
    always been 10c/msg either way.

    --
    JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:35:56 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >Harsh, maybe, but Verizon was cheap for incoming SMS. Sprint and others have
    >always been 10c/msg either way.

    And T-Mobile is 5 cents/send/receive domestic and Canada. 15
    cents/message international.
    - -

    Steve Sobol wrote:

    > Harsh, maybe, but Verizon was cheap for incoming SMS. Sprint and others
    > have always been 10c/msg either way.

    It seems that way. I just checked Cingular and they are already
    $0.10/message ($0.20 international).

    Joseph wrote:

    >>Harsh, maybe, but Verizon was cheap for incoming SMS. Sprint and others have
    >>always been 10c/msg either way.
    >
    > And T-Mobile is 5 cents/send/receive domestic and Canada. 15
    > cents/message international.

    But T-Mobile has always lowballed everyone else. I'd expect them to be cheap.

    --
    JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:29:47 GMT, "Stan"
    <stanncno1spam@noispam.yahoo.com> wrote:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >From http://www.verizonwireless.com/information
    >
    >Notice of Change to TXT Messaging Rates;
    >Introducing New Unlimited TXT, PIX & FLIX Message Bundles
    >On August 1, 2005, the charge to receive TXT Messages will increase from
    >$0.02 to $0.10 per message. This will apply to domestic and international
    >TXT Messages (and, if applicable, to any TXT messages in excess of the
    >monthly allowance for Verizon Wireless' TXT Messaging bundles). The charge
    >for sending TXT Messages, both domestically and internationally, will not
    >change. As of April 18, a new IN Messaging bundle is available to Verizon
    >Wireless customers. These bundles allow you to send and receive UNLIMITED
    >TXT, PIX & FLIX Messages to and from any Verizon Wireless customer. Bundles
    >start as low as $5 per month.
    >
    >Harsh. Even if you have a package, the overage will still be $0.10/$0.10.

    I never understood how a company can let you TALK to anyone in the
    country for FREE, yet charge you extra from text massages that use
    out-of-band signalling.

    When I need to send information to someone, I call and speak to them
    or leave a voice mail. Text massaging should be free, it's less of a
    load the the system.

    I think it is wrong to charge a person to receive a TXT Message. We can't
    control it unless we disable it. Charging to send is one thing, but charging
    to receive is not right.
    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.cherconnection.com

    "susan" <susanl@penn.com> wrote in

    > I think it is wrong to charge a person to receive a TXT Message. We
    > can't control it unless we disable it. Charging to send is one thing,
    > but charging to receive is not right.
    > --

    On Alltel, all incoming text messages are free. You get 25/month outgoing
    for free, then it's 5c/msg after that, unless you buy a block for a few
    bucks. We're not charged for incoming text messages on Alltel.

    Along those same thought lines, Nextel doesn't charge for incoming PHONE
    CALLS, either. You can't control people calling you so why are we paying
    for incoming calls? Same idea...(c;

    --
    Larry

    You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
    chalk.

    "susan" <susanl@penn.com> wrote:
    >I think it is wrong to charge a person to
    >receive a TXT Message. We can't control it
    >unless we disable it. Charging to send is one
    >thing, but charging to receive is not right.

    We can just keep changing our phone numbers :-)

    but you can control answering them......no answer, no charge

    "Laura" <lassere4@cox.net> wrote in news:QV6se.51956$Fv.40919@lakeread01:

    > but you can control answering them......no answer, no charge

    No charge for voicemail now? I suppose we could turn off no-answer-
    transfer to the voicemail....

    --

    > Stan wrote:
    >
    >> Notice of Change to TXT Messaging Rates;
    >> Introducing New Unlimited TXT, PIX & FLIX Message Bundles
    >> On August 1, 2005, the charge to receive TXT Messages will increase from
    >> $0.02 to $0.10 per message. This will apply to domestic and international
    >> TXT Messages (and, if applicable, to any TXT messages in excess of the
    >> monthly allowance for Verizon Wireless' TXT Messaging bundles). The
    >> charge for sending TXT Messages, both domestically and internationally,
    >> will not change. As of April 18, a new IN Messaging bundle is available
    >> to Verizon Wireless customers. These bundles allow you to send and
    >> receive UNLIMITED TXT, PIX & FLIX Messages to and from any Verizon
    >> Wireless customer. Bundles start as low as $5 per month.
    >>
    >> Harsh. Even if you have a package, the overage will still be $0.10/$0.10.
    >
    > Harsh, maybe, but Verizon was cheap for incoming SMS. Sprint and others
    > have always been 10c/msg either way.
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    > Coming to you from Southern California's High Desert, where the
    > temperatures are as high as the gas prices! / 888.480.4NET (4638)
    >
    > "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

    To add insult to injury, they're only (publicly) offering packages for 50,
    250, and 500 messages over the unlimited "in" messaging. T-Mo used to offer
    a $9.99 unlimited text plan. Does anyone know if they offer something in
    that neighborhood?

    -Stan

    Stan wrote:

    > To add insult to injury, they're only (publicly) offering packages for 50,
    > 250, and 500 messages over the unlimited "in" messaging. T-Mo used to offer
    > a $9.99 unlimited text plan. Does anyone know if they offer something in
    > that neighborhood?

    Sprint's unlimited plan is $10.00 if you don't have a PCS Vision Pack, or
    $5.00 if you do. I don't know if T-Mo still offers unlimited.

    --

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:39:10 -0400, Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com>
    wrote:

    >Along those same thought lines, Nextel doesn't charge for incoming PHONE
    >CALLS, either. You can't control people calling you so why are we paying
    >for incoming calls? Same idea...(c;

    I think you'd better qualify that. You *can* get a plan from Nextel
    with free incoming messages ($60/month as I recall), but standard
    plans still charge for incoming.

    - -

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:43:11 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >Joseph wrote:
    >
    >>>Harsh, maybe, but Verizon was cheap for incoming SMS. Sprint and others have
    >>>always been 10c/msg either way.
    >>
    >> And T-Mobile is 5 cents/send/receive domestic and Canada. 15
    >> cents/message international.
    >
    >But T-Mobile has always lowballed everyone else. I'd expect them to be cheap.

    Why am I not surprised by your reply?

    - -

    "susan" <susanl@penn.com> wrote in message
    > I think it is wrong to charge a person to receive a TXT Message. We can't
    > control it unless we disable it. Charging to send is one thing, but
    charging
    > to receive is not right.

    I had text messaging disabled on all of our phones more than three years
    ago. I didn't like having to pay for spam text messages, and there is no way
    for the consumer to control it. If I could create a white-list rather than a
    black-list, I'd have control. (A black-list is next to worthless.)

    Joseph wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:39:10 -0400, Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Along those same thought lines, Nextel doesn't charge for incoming PHONE
    >>CALLS, either. You can't control people calling you so why are we paying
    >>for incoming calls? Same idea...(c;
    >

    > I think you'd better qualify that. You *can* get a plan from Nextel
    > with free incoming messages ($60/month as I recall), but standard
    > plans still charge for incoming.
    >
    > - -

    Exactly, you often hear that quote about free incoming but it is not a
    standard feature. It is a more expensive plan that if you ran the
    numbers you will find that for a typical user Nextel is usually ahead of
    you.

    My buddy kept on telling me what a great deal it was and that and the
    unlimited walkie talkie were the reasons he kept Nextel. When VZW came
    out with IN network he liked the idea of being able to have a 2 way
    conversation instead of the walkie talkie but was convinced that "free
    incoming" was a good deal. We recently compared bills and he was quite
    surprised to find out how much "free incoming" costs.

    Joseph wrote:

    >>>And T-Mobile is 5 cents/send/receive domestic and Canada. 15
    >>>cents/message international.
    >>
    >>But T-Mobile has always lowballed everyone else. I'd expect them to be cheap.
    >

    > Why am I not surprised by your reply?

    Why do you have a problem with me stating a fact? Perhaps I should have used
    the word "inexpensive" as it doesn't have some of the negative connotations
    "cheap" does. I didn't mean to denigrate T-Mo for offering low-cost messaging.

    --

    Steve Sobol wrote:

    > Harsh, maybe, but Verizon was cheap for incoming SMS. Sprint and others
    > have always been 10c/msg either way.

    While true there are several things about Sprint that I like:

    1. They have never charged me for incoming text messages coming from the
    website.

    2. They allow you to go into your account online and selectively block
    certain text messages. There is of course the blacklist, but there are
    also options to fully block SMSes coming from all email addresses (which
    is the typical source of spam) and from the website, in addition to
    certain phone numbers.

    3. 100 text messages come free with the data package, which is already
    quite cheap, and

    4. They offer an unlimited text messaging package. Pay one price and
    never have to worry about it. So far I have not seen that on Verizon or
    Cingular.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    Isaiah Beard wrote:
    > 1. They have never charged me for incoming text messages coming from the
    > website.

    Haven't tried that, don't know if it's the same for me.

    > 2. They allow you to go into your account online and selectively block
    > certain text messages. There is of course the blacklist, but there are
    > also options to fully block SMSes coming from all email addresses (which
    > is the typical source of spam) and from the website, in addition to
    > certain phone numbers.

    Vtext.com (Verizon's site) allows this also.

    > 4. They offer an unlimited text messaging package. Pay one price and
    > never have to worry about it. So far I have not seen that on Verizon or
    > Cingular.

    That's the thing I like best about Sprint SMS :)

    --

    Stan wrote:

    > To add insult to injury, they're only (publicly) offering packages for 50,
    > 250, and 500 messages over the unlimited "in" messaging.

    It would appear that Verizon is trying to punish people for messaging
    "OUT" of the Verizon network. I can understand giving groups of people
    an incentive to all being on the same network, but this negative
    reinforcement is just a bit over the line.

    > T-Mo used to offer
    > a $9.99 unlimited text plan. Does anyone know if they offer something in
    > that neighborhood?

    Sprint offers unlimited messging for $5 if you subscribe to the data
    plan ($10 without). It doesn't appear taht Verizon has anything similar.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 07:59:04 -0700, "Joe Kaffe" <kaffejoe@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >If I could create a white-list rather than a
    >black-list, I'd have control. (A black-list is next to worthless.)

    I see you've been reading some of my old rants.:-)

    Before VZW offered In - Text messaging bundles I signed up for a Get it Now
    pack. I get 500 text and mobile web for $7.99 on an LG 4400 B phone. I
    signed up for that pack not to long before the LG 8000 came out ( Feb 1st
    2005). Now that I have the LG 8000 I get 500 text messages and 20 pix for $
    7.99 ( Not an In- network text value pack) Now that I have V cast my mobile
    web is included in the $ 15.00 price plan ( I guess). The thing that I do
    not like about the In -Text messaging value pack is you can only text VZW
    customers with out getting charged per message. I get text messages from out
    side VZW network and I would get charged per message I send and receive. I
    guess that is still works that way.

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:55:11 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >Isaiah Beard wrote:
    >> 1. They have never charged me for incoming text messages coming from the
    >> website.
    >
    >Haven't tried that, don't know if it's the same for me.
    >
    >> 2. They allow you to go into your account online and selectively block
    >> certain text messages. There is of course the blacklist, but there are
    >> also options to fully block SMSes coming from all email addresses (which
    >> is the typical source of spam) and from the website, in addition to
    >> certain phone numbers.
    >
    >Vtext.com (Verizon's site) allows this also.
    >
    >> 4. They offer an unlimited text messaging package. Pay one price and
    >> never have to worry about it. So far I have not seen that on Verizon or
    >> Cingular.
    >
    >That's the thing I like best about Sprint SMS :)

    Also, unless they've changed it Sprint PCS didn't have regular SMS
    they had "short mail" where you'd have to get on the web to retrieve
    any messages. They may have changed to regular text messaging but
    this is how it has been working.

    - -

    I eliminated my stand-alone pager and have been using my VZW phone for about
    two years now, since the paging services have been getting worse in my area.
    I'd go $10 or $15/month for unlimited text messages, but they don't seem to
    want to cater to the high volume text user without charging high $$ too.

    -Stan

    "Viper" <user@user.net> wrote in message
    > Before VZW offered In - Text messaging bundles I signed up for a Get it
    > Now pack. I get 500 text and mobile web for $7.99 on an LG 4400 B phone. I
    > signed up for that pack not to long before the LG 8000 came out ( Feb 1st
    > 2005). Now that I have the LG 8000 I get 500 text messages and 20 pix for
    > $ 7.99 ( Not an In- network text value pack) Now that I have V cast my
    > mobile web is included in the $ 15.00 price plan ( I guess). The thing
    > that I do not like about the In -Text messaging value pack is you can
    > only text VZW customers with out getting charged per message. I get text
    > messages from out side VZW network and I would get charged per message I
    > send and receive. I guess that is still works that way.
    >

    > "Stan" <stanncno1spam@noispam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> x-no-archive: yes
    >>
    >> From http://www.verizonwireless.com/information
    >>
    >> Notice of Change to TXT Messaging Rates;
    >> Introducing New Unlimited TXT, PIX & FLIX Message Bundles
    >> On August 1, 2005, the charge to receive TXT Messages will increase from
    >> $0.02 to $0.10 per message. This will apply to domestic and international
    >> TXT Messages (and, if applicable, to any TXT messages in excess of the
    >> monthly allowance for Verizon Wireless' TXT Messaging bundles). The
    >> charge for sending TXT Messages, both domestically and internationally,
    >> will not change. As of April 18, a new IN Messaging bundle is available
    >> to Verizon Wireless customers. These bundles allow you to send and
    >> receive UNLIMITED TXT, PIX & FLIX Messages to and from any Verizon
    >> Wireless customer. Bundles start as low as $5 per month.
    >>
    >> Harsh. Even if you have a package, the overage will still be $0.10/$0.10.

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:37:19 GMT, "Stan"
    <stanncno1spam@noispam.yahoo.com> graced this newsgroup with:

    >I eliminated my stand-alone pager and have been using my VZW phone for about
    >two years now, since the paging services have been getting worse in my area.
    >I'd go $10 or $15/month for unlimited text messages, but they don't seem to
    >want to cater to the high volume text user without charging high $$ too.
    >
    >-Stan

    I rarely use txt messaging. I find trying to type on a cell phone a
    huge PITA and enormously time consuming. I have a Pocket PC for that.

    George <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in news:2YednQoeAYYrGizfRVn-
    rQ@adelphia.com:

    > My buddy kept on telling me what a great deal it was and that and the
    > unlimited walkie talkie were the reasons he kept Nextel. When VZW came
    > out with IN network he liked the idea of being able to have a 2 way
    > conversation instead of the walkie talkie but was convinced that "free
    > incoming" was a good deal. We recently compared bills and he was quite
    > surprised to find out how much "free incoming" costs.

    Another point is Nextel doesn't want your buddy as a subscriber. They
    don't target the individual market at all. They'd just be happy if all the
    businesses over, say, $200K/yr gross were their customers. Individual
    customers are a pain-in-the-ass, me included.

    --

    Joseph wrote:

    > Also, unless they've changed it Sprint PCS didn't have regular SMS
    > they had "short mail" where you'd have to get on the web to retrieve
    > any messages. They may have changed to regular text messaging but
    > this is how it has been working.

    They've had real SMS for over a year. You need a newer phone to take
    advantage of the real SMS, though.

    --

    Joseph wrote:

    >>>4. They offer an unlimited text messaging package. Pay one price and
    >>>never have to worry about it. So far I have not seen that on Verizon or
    >>>Cingular.
    >>
    >>That's the thing I like best about Sprint SMS :)
    >

    > Also, unless they've changed it Sprint PCS didn't have regular SMS
    > they had "short mail" where you'd have to get on the web to retrieve
    > any messages. They may have changed to regular text messaging but
    > this is how it has been working.

    That's LONG been changed, to a more standard form of text messaging
    directly from the handset. Actually, many people considered the old
    web-based method a hindrance, not an advantage. :)

    The old method is still there for old phone who don't support direct
    text messaging however.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Verizon Wireless Messaging Internet Service Providers