Bar fridge mod !

Sin

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2003
I've been thinking.. Buy a mini bar fridge, drill the mobo onto the door, so when u open it up, theres the modo.. Plus it would keep every component very cool... Just wondering if its going to cause condinsation ? or if this is just a really bad idea, someone please stop me :p thanks in advance.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
As previously mentioned it's been done before. There should be a link to one such rig somewhere here at THG forums. I think it was a Celeron 600 or 700 system.

There's no danger of condensation if you seal the fridge.

If you start with a warm fridge then the internal air charge starts warm as well. If you throw in a descecant (sp?) bag then the humdity will be near 0%. Once the fridge is sealed
that dry air never gets replaced with fresh damp air, thus no condensation. A fridge is a closed air system. (A freezer is too, by the way).

The trick is how do you access the computer once it's inside the fridge?

Floppies (am I the only one still using these?) and CDROM/DVDROMs must be outside the fridge while everything else can be inside as long as the components can withstand 32-40 degree F temperature.

You can drill holes to run cables to your peripherals but you have to seal the openings well. Firewire, USB, Serial ATA will probably make this task a lot simplier than using ribbon cables. Do a good job because leaks will invite condensation and death to your computer.

If you are overclocking (I assume your are) you'll want to be able to access everything, voltage, FSB, etc thru BIOS. Changing jumpers would be a pain.

You might want to rig something to clear CMOS from outside the fridge. If you don't you'll have to deal with opening the fridge and that means waiting hours for the fridge to warm up before you unseal it. If don't allow the fridge to warm then you will have to dry everything because water will condense on the cold components once the fridge is opened.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 06/11/04 11:46 AM.</EM></FONT></P>