ASUS P4B266 users, please fall in!!!

goremasta

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
Hi guys,

Any of you ASUS P4B266 users?

Can you specified your PC's details and overclock details(if applicable)

I'm currently using stock fan for overclock, planning to get a decent branded sink&fan combination, please enlight me!

My current rig:
P4B266C
P41,8A Ghz @ 2,1Ghz
512 Crucial DDR PC2100
Prolink GFFX 5600XT 128MB
Simbadda 500W PSU

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't have that board, but it should be able to push your CPU to 2.4GHz by setting the CPU FSB to 133MHz, the RAM to 133MHz (1:1 ratio to the CPU), and the vCore to 1.65v. It might even work at 1.60v core.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, you won't free it at those voltages, speed doesn't fry it (only high voltage and heat could), and it has thermal protection. Since the voltage levels I recommended are safe and the CPU has thermal protection, you won't fry a thing. Oh, the board is designed for doing such things as well.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

goremasta

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
HI Crashman, you're right I didn't fry the M/B
But, it didn't work?!?!

I did as u told me

Memory = 1:1
the Bus = I tried to increase it to 115 first(gradually)
CoreV = 1.55 gradually to 1.65

Didn't work?!?!!

My PC just keep restarting, at the CD-RW & DVD Drive boot stage(U understand what I meant?)
I have to pull the power cord to make it stop !

So Wierd....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There's usually more than one way to raise the bus frequency. When you do it in small steps, many older chipsets will maintain a certain FSB/PCI divider as you go upward, overclocking your PCI devices (including the on-chipset IDE controller).

So you'll want to jump directly to 133MHz, so that the FSB/PCI divider is switched from 100/33 (PCI at 1/3 FSB) to 133/33 (PCI at 1/4 FSB).

Your motherboard offers a couple ways to do that. The old fashioned way is to use the switches on your board, S5, 6, 7, 8, 9, at On, Off, Off, Off, On. To use the switches you have to change the JEN jumper (next to the battery) from 2-3 to 1-2.

You might also want to change the OVER_VOLT jumper (near the upper left hand corner) from 1-2 to 2-3 to allow better voltage range in BIOS. And while you're at it, you might even want to change the DDV_OV jumper (near the upper right corner of the DIMM slots) from 1-2 to 2-3.

Before messing with jumpers I suggest you at least try the CPU bus straight up to 133MHz (due to the PCI divider issue) with the vCore at 1.65v. Gradually probably won't work due to the PCI divider issue.

If you can't boot using those settings, you always have the CLR_CMOS jumper (to the right of the chipset southbridge) which allows you to reset BIOS to default values!

goremasta

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
So U recommend me to o'ced using jumpers, instead of bios?

FYi, now, I can't even exceed 111mhz from 110, my PC will keep restarting, I have to turn of the PSU!
But once I turn it back on, It'll go straight to BIOS menu, asking me to downlock it again.

I just affraid that My MB is dying already?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh boy. No, I don't think it's your motherboard dying, I think it's that your PCI divider of 1/3 is overclocking your cards too far, and that jumping straight to 133MHz FSB will get around that problem. Of course 133MHz FSB might not work with your hardware, but if it didn't you could reset BIOS and all would be well again.

You worry too much. Your board is made to take the speed, and your CPU is well protected.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd try the soft adjustments first and resort to jumpers if the soft adjustments don't work.

goremasta

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
Mr Crashman....
Please don't mad at me....
the problem is, it's working before, why da hell now don't ??

Anyway, I'll try your way, including reset the cmos

I'll let u know...

danke

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know, you could have other problems, but I can tell you a few things:

1.) Nearly all 1.8A processors could be overclocked to 2.4B speed using no more than 1.65v core, and a stock cooler.
2.) Your PC2100 should be fine running 1:1 with a 133MHz FSB (aka 533 CPU bus, since Intel uses a Quad Data Rate bus).
3.) Your chipset easily support overclocking to 533 bus (133MHz clock)
4.) Asus designs their boards for overclocking
5.) Non-standard bus speeds (like 112) will overclock your PCI and AGP cards, while standard bus speeds (like 100 and 133) should not.
6.) I've read about minor BIOS problems on your board, so if overclocking BIOS doesn't work, I'd try overclocking by jumper.

goremasta

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
I did try yesterday, to overclock using softbios menu.
the result is still the same.

I'll try to o'clock using the jumper.

Wish me luck :-D

goremasta

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
WOOOOW --- I love ya Crashman!!!! It worked!!! The old fashioned jumper switching overclocking is bloody working!!!!

I can't believe it?! The last time I did a hardware o'ced is with my Celeron 300A to 450Mhz!!!

Anyway... Thanks so so muchhhh.... Just need to check the stability now.

I didn't touch the Vcore(leave it as default)

Will update you again...

Can play farcry a 'bit' better now, I guess :-D