Portal 2, Windows crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOwnKnown3

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Hey guys, I purchased Portal 2 off of steam recently.
Every time I start it, runs for about 30-60 seconds, then windows crashes with a single long beep, then reboots with "Windows did not shut-down correctly" blah-blah.

I have tried re-installing it, obviously restarted the pc... That's pretty much it, because I could find no help on the forums.

Im pretty sure it's not my computer, because I can run Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Team Fortress 2, Ect.

If I play in offline mode it lasts for about 2 minuet's, but I can play other online games just fine. :pt1cable:

Could really use some help, because Steam does NOT offer refunds. [Sucks]

Thanks for your help in advanced. ~TheOwnKnown3

Solution
Good news. I contacted steam about 3 months ago, just got a reply.

They told me to delete EVERYTHING in the steam folder, except the steam.exe, my apps and userdata.

Did it and it worked! Kinda... This time it crashes just after the loading screen, and it wasn't my computer, it was just portal 2 this time... It said a problem has caused this program to stop working. Thank for help! ~Still need it

P.S. Yes, I did run a scan on my computer.

TheOwnKnown3

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
I did it, it found one file that was not updated, it said it would be implemented, I ran it again and it said that everything was in check!

Then I ran portal again, it still crashes. :(

I thought you had it, thanks anyways.

Still in need of help ~TheOwnKnown3

Hi :)

Now DEFRAG the game files in Steam and try again...

All the best Brett :)

TheOwnKnown3

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
There is no DEFRAG option in Proporties>Local Files>

Options are: Browse Local Files > Backup Game Files > Delete Local Game Content > Verify Integrity Of Game Chache.

Thanks for reply's.

TheOwnKnown3

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Good news. I contacted steam about 3 months ago, just got a reply.

They told me to delete EVERYTHING in the steam folder, except the steam.exe, my apps and userdata.

Did it and it worked! Kinda... This time it crashes just after the loading screen, and it wasn't my computer, it was just portal 2 this time... It said a problem has caused this program to stop working. Thank for help! ~Still need it

P.S. Yes, I did run a scan on my computer.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.