overclocking a 9600pro

allnight

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004
just wanna know what other people have done with their 9600 pros. i'm running at 475/340 with no artifacts. I actually bought a artic cooling heatsink/fan, the giant white one that pushes air out of the comp fromt the back, then i got tweakmonster heatsinks. Odd thing is that I was able to hit 470/340 with few artifacts before all of the modifications, now with all i've done i'm only able to push the mhz by 5 mhz! Plus i got a vantec spectrum blowing air directly onto the video card. i guess i'm at the limit, cuz i know some ppl have hit 500 mhz.

My R9600P will run smooth for hours and hours at 535/365 on stock cooling.

My experience (from the tons of R9600P post in various forums) is that Ramsinks actually reduce overclockability. A fan directly over the card works damn well on it's own, that's what I have.

If you look into the past of this particular forum you should see alot of results for the R9600Pro.

Also check out Rage3D.com, in the forum there are alot of OC'ing experiences complete with V-mod guides, etc.

But also it depends on the board Mfr of your R9600P. The most reliable has been the Built By Ati ones. The majority of V-moded cards are Powercolor ones, but that's mainly because they are cheap. Gigacube, Sapphire, Gigabyte, HIS, and Tyan are among those that have given people trouble for overclocking and V-moding (although some Sapphires are ok for Vmoding [results varied, just like the memory modules]).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Well not every OCs the same. Which OEM is that AGP from? From what you have posted, sounds like the card needs more juice. Before you vmod, just touch the HSF to make sure it is not scholding hot.

Mobile Barton 2500+ @ 2420mhz 11x220 1.7v
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro to XT(420/730)