Sign in with
Your question

Does anyone see the difference between msaa on or off in far cry 3?

Last response: in Video Games
February 8, 2013 5:02:55 AM

Hey guys, in the you tube link below is a comparison between msaa off to msaa 8x and i couldnt see any difference at all. I was wondering if anyone else could? If not then what's the point of wasting all that gpu power on next to nothing eye candy. I kept changing parts of the video from msaa off to msaa 8x hoping to see some difference but i cant find anything =/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ponAFMJKls8

More about : difference msaa cry

February 8, 2013 5:41:18 AM

On what resolution do you play Far Cry 3?
February 8, 2013 7:06:06 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I can't tell the difference at all in any games whether anti-aliasing is on or off.
Related resources
February 8, 2013 7:09:27 AM

I play 1080p ultra settings, my gpu cant handle msaa 4 or 8x so i just leave it off. However i was referring to that youtube video, since i was considering buying another card just for the sake of playing with msaa on, but if i cant find any difference in that you tube video then why bother?

As for other games, i do notice a fair bit on call of duty, but every other game i barley see it.
February 8, 2013 7:13:20 AM

I don't think it's the wisest thing to spend your money on an extra card, just for the sake of playing with anti-aliasing.
February 8, 2013 7:19:36 AM

Yea i realize that after seeing no extra eye candy what so ever, It doesnt make any sense, why put a feature like msaa if its not noticeable, unless maybe its only noticeable on a 40inch+ screen? I play on a 23inch and still dont see any difference haha.
February 8, 2013 7:21:53 AM

Yeah, it probably is meant more for larger screens.
February 8, 2013 7:46:16 AM

Ive read a few forums that suggest images are already rendered then down-scaled by the monitor itself, hence why AA isnt really noticeable. Especially the case with newer more high resolution montiors 1080p +.

Also read that msaa can be distinguished if youre running at a lower resolution for e.g. 600 by 800 with msaa on x2 would equal to 1200 x 1600, rendered then down-scaled back to 600 by 800 which creates a sharper image. Which is useless on HD monitors cause the image is already sharp.
February 8, 2013 8:06:18 AM

No need to buy a new graphic card at all.
If you have Nvidia go in Nvidia control panel -> Manage 3D settings -> Antialiasing FXAA to ON and Antialiasing Transparency to 8x (supersample)
February 8, 2013 2:40:56 PM

i have read a few articles about msaa on far cry 3 and the only thing some have noticed is that the tower cables seem a little jagged in the background and sometimes up close. other then that msaa only makes a difference once you start looking for and you know what it actually does. after i learned what msaa and aa all did i went from playing bf3 on ultra with it off to high with it on just because the jagged edges started to bug me.
March 5, 2014 9:19:55 PM

in fc3 msaa works only if u enable dx11 and restart the game
March 5, 2014 9:20:56 PM

The Stealthinator said:
Yeah, it probably is meant more for larger screens.

run it in dx 11, msaa works
!