allnight

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004
Just mounted by a thermalright sp-94 heatsink, before I had a crappy heatsink with a 70 mm fan. The old heatsink was getting about 45 c idle (used artic silver cermaique). Now with the new heatsink, i'm getting about 43 c idle, what in the !@$%#@$# is going on. I haven't burned the heatsink in yet, but usually that will bring the temps down by 2-3 c. Again I used artic silver cermaique. I also have as 5.

My friend helped me mount the heatsink, don't think we used enough artic silver, but you gotta becareful when you use that stuff. My friend told me that the correct way (correct me if i'm wrong) to apply AS is to apply a small pea sized amount on the heatsink, rub the AS into the heatsink, and then clean it off, that way you are only filling up the microscoptic pores in the bottom of the heatsink. Then you wanna place a small pea sized amount of AS onto the middle of the heatspreader of the chip (p4). When you place the heatsink onto the chip, it will squash the applied AS onto the other parts of heatspreader. It seemed like my friend knew exactly what he was doing, but I really think I need more AS, cuz my temps are just too high with a giant heatsink. Btw i'm running a 2.8c p4. The problem is that if you use too much AS, then it won't be effective as it should be.

any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appericated, sorry for the long post

atomicatom

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2004
Don't know about your temps but the HS install and amount of AS used sounds about right. I believe Artic Silver's site has instructions on HS installation and how much AS to apply.

I have read on other posts that too much AS will cause temps to go up.

Cheerio!
Allan.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
LOL your friend was following his own logic, which isn't exactly ideal...
Your friend was just wasting AS, because when he cleaned it off, whatever u used would've taken the AS out with it.

AS recommends a few rice drops and then it will spread itself once you apply pressure on the heatsink, but i personally just use a credit card to make a very very thin layer of thermal grease on the CPU itself, i never apply anything to the heatsink. For me that's always worked, and still working great.

BTW what fan are you using?

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/celebgay.html" target="_new">click here now!!</A>

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/epilepsyr.shtml" target="_new">DON'T CLICK HERE!!</A>

allnight

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004
I'm using a 90mm 2500 rpm by enermax (uc-9ab-b(n)). I use to place a little amount of AS on the heatspreader and use a credit card to spread it around. Thats always worked for me, I think I'll go ahead and remount the heatsink, and do it that way.