Wrong Minded Nickel and Diming

Last response: in Network Providers
June 16, 2005 11:31:14 AM

VZW is truly run by squinty-eyed accountants instead of strategic-thinking
businessmen. You can't continue to nickel and dime your customers without
alienating them. VZW does things like starting to charge minutes to call
voice mail, eliminating free call detail on your bill, now raising the cost
of incoming test messages from 2 cents to a dime, etc., etc.

It's short term thinking guys. Sure you generate some extra revenue this
month-- but you're pissing off a customer base that has been pretty loyal.
Unhappy customers means increasing churn and declining revenue long term.

Don't say you weren't warned! Cut it out and give back what you've taken
away!!

Victor
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 2:29:51 PM

"Victor Henry" <swabbo@seafarer> wrote in message news:taednZrnnL-e_izfRVn-2w@comcast.com...
> VZW is truly run by squinty-eyed accountants instead of strategic-thinking businessmen.

I can explain but not justify their behaviour. Carriers are measured by
their ARPU - average revenue per user, and they need to show it going up
over time. Each user pays a fixed package and then nickels and dimes for
overage, extra services etc. In order for the carrier to get their ARPU
to increase over time from you, they need to increase the nickels and
dimes you are paying.

Ironically VZW has the highest fixed plan prices and the lowest ARPU in
the industry! I think people are very aware that they paying more as
a base and are very wary of the nickel and dime charges. Other carriers
have their fixed bases lower and users are less reluctant to get nickel
and dimed (hence their higher ARPUs).

Put another way, if VZW suddenly halved the amount they charged you for
your plan, how much would the nickel and diming bother you?

One thing I do know for sure is that I really want to pay them less and
less over time, or have increases in service for what I already pay.
VZWs goal is the complete opposite and they don't try to hide it much.
As you point out, it will end up biting them.

Roger
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 6:10:05 PM

Victor Henry wrote:
> VZW is truly run by squinty-eyed accountants instead of strategic-thinking
> businessmen. You can't continue to nickel and dime your customers without
> alienating them. VZW does things like starting to charge minutes to call
> voice mail, eliminating free call detail on your bill, now raising the cost
> of incoming test messages from 2 cents to a dime, etc., etc.

Don't forget, directory assistance is now going up from $1.25 to $1.49
per call.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/footer/legalNotices/...

Not that I use directory assistance all the time, but sometimes you're
stuck and just HAVE to use it. And it'll cost ya.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
June 16, 2005 6:19:30 PM

I tend to agree. People will go where the best deal is. Perhaps it will take
two years for the full effect to start showing, but as other companies start
to be more customer friendly, and offer better coverage there will be a
shift of Verizon's customer base to the better service. I am hoping that
Cingular and their rollover minutes will be an option the next time my
contract is up. I used to be impressed with Verizons service, but it seems
to be getting more convoluted and and Verizon more greedy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://cherconnection.proboards3.com/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Victor Henry" <swabbo@seafarer> wrote in message
> VZW is truly run by squinty-eyed accountants instead of strategic-thinking
> businessmen. You can't continue to nickel and dime your customers without
> alienating them. VZW does things like starting to charge minutes to call
> voice mail, eliminating free call detail on your bill, now raising the
cost
> of incoming test messages from 2 cents to a dime, etc., etc.
>
> It's short term thinking guys. Sure you generate some extra revenue this
> month-- but you're pissing off a customer base that has been pretty loyal.
> Unhappy customers means increasing churn and declining revenue long term.
>
> Don't say you weren't warned! Cut it out and give back what you've taken
> away!!
>
> Victor

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 6:19:31 PM

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:19:30 GMT, "Susan" <susanl@penn.com> wrote:

>I tend to agree. People will go where the best deal is. Perhaps it will take
>two years for the full effect to start showing, but as other companies start
>to be more customer friendly, and offer better coverage there will be a
>shift of Verizon's customer base to the better service. I am hoping that
>Cingular and their rollover minutes will be an option the next time my
>contract is up. I used to be impressed with Verizons service, but it seems
>to be getting more convoluted and and Verizon more greedy.
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>http://cherconnection.proboards3.com/
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>"Victor Henry" <swabbo@seafarer> wrote in message
>> VZW is truly run by squinty-eyed accountants instead of strategic-thinking
>> businessmen. You can't continue to nickel and dime your customers without
>> alienating them. VZW does things like starting to charge minutes to call
>> voice mail, eliminating free call detail on your bill, now raising the
>cost
>> of incoming test messages from 2 cents to a dime, etc., etc.
>>
>> It's short term thinking guys. Sure you generate some extra revenue this
>> month-- but you're pissing off a customer base that has been pretty loyal.
>> Unhappy customers means increasing churn and declining revenue long term.
>>
>> Don't say you weren't warned! Cut it out and give back what you've taken
>> away!!
>>
>> Victor

When the other companies feel that they are playing on the same
playing field as Verizon they probably will not offer rollover minutes
or any other incentives because now they won't have to.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 6:19:32 PM

TeddeLI wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:19:30 GMT, "Susan"
> <susanl@penn.com> wrote:
>
>> I tend to agree. People will go where the best deal is.
>> Perhaps it will take two years for the full effect to
>> start showing, but as other companies start to be more
>> customer friendly, and offer better coverage there will
>> be a shift of Verizon's customer base to the better
>> service. I am hoping that Cingular and their rollover
>> minutes will be an option the next time my contract is
>> up. I used to be impressed with Verizons service, but it
>> seems to be getting more convoluted and and Verizon more
>> greedy.
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> http://cherconnection.proboards3.com/
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> "Victor Henry" <swabbo@seafarer> wrote in message
>>> VZW is truly run by squinty-eyed accountants instead of
>>> strategic-thinking businessmen. You can't continue to
>>> nickel and dime your customers without alienating them.
>>> VZW does things like starting to charge minutes to
>>> call voice mail, eliminating free call detail on your
>>> bill, now raising the cost of incoming test messages
>>> from 2 cents to a dime, etc., etc.
>>>
>>> It's short term thinking guys. Sure you generate some
>>> extra revenue this month-- but you're pissing off a
>>> customer base that has been pretty loyal. Unhappy
>>> customers means increasing churn and declining revenue
>>> long term.
>>>
>>> Don't say you weren't warned! Cut it out and give back
>>> what you've taken away!!
>>>
>>> Victor
>>>

> When the other companies feel that they are playing on
> the same playing field as Verizon they probably will not
> offer rollover minutes or any other incentives because
> now they won't have to.

There is one other small point. "Don't say you weren't warned!"
kind of implies that they have no clue. Doubious to think that
a company with more than 33 million customers has a marketing
force that is completely clueless. Most of the changes that you
see are in large part a matter of packaging. Some will not like
it others will prefer it. Econ 101: If you have an apartment
complex the most efficient rent is that which will cause a
certain percentage of vacancies.

gotta love the armchair quarterbacks,
-Quick
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 8:00:50 PM

"Susan" <susanl@penn.com> wrote in message
>I tend to agree. People will go where the best deal is. Perhaps it will
>take
> two years for the full effect to start showing, but as other companies
> start
> to be more customer friendly, and offer better coverage there will be a
> shift of Verizon's customer base to the better service. I am hoping that
> Cingular and their rollover minutes will be an option the next time my
> contract is up. I used to be impressed with Verizons service, but it seems
> to be getting more convoluted and and Verizon more greedy.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> http://cherconnection.proboards3.com/
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The basis of keeping customers is providing "Service Coverage" and a fair
price. Verizon was my second carrier having went with Cellular One Albany
Telephone Company for many years when they started out. Long before any
mergers or extended coverage's. Fancy plans etc. Bottom line is I want to be
able to send and receive calls and to have that ability where I need it.
Coverage has improved greatly over the years. Cellular One (Cingular) had
some pretty good coverage and they were one of the first in this then new
cellular calling. But their customer service was terrible and billing was on
most part shoddy.

Sure when a company offers perks like roll over minutes, walkie talkie
features it is to bring variety to the market place. But lock in your
service for 2 years and then find that the features are not what they are
cracked up to be and then complaints will roll.

For the folks that read about that price increase for Text Messages it is
for persons not on a plan. And my contract states a different price with my
bundle so there is no price increase until the contract period ends. Or you
possibly could break your cellular contract since they changed the terms and
you do not agree to them.

Now looking at the new IN Text plan starting at $5 it seems like a good deal
since it also includes 250 or more in texts to other folks on other
carriers. With the use of text messaging increasing in the US versus the
80%+ in Europe eventually the price will drop again after the initial shock
of how many folks are starting to use it. But that is my opinion

Elector
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:54:44 AM

Isaiah Beard <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in

> Don't forget, directory assistance is now going up from $1.25 to $1.49
> per call.

I don't browse the web with a cellphone, which I find hilarious, but what
happens if you access www.switchboard.com from a cellphone browser??

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
chalk.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:54:45 AM

In news:Xns9677E89B52E1Dw4csc@63.223.7.253,
Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com> typed:
> Isaiah Beard <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in
>
>> Don't forget, directory assistance is now going up from $1.25 to
>> $1.49 per call.
>>

> I don't browse the web with a cellphone, which I find hilarious, but
> what happens if you access www.switchboard.com from a cellphone
> browser??

My LG VX4400 is set up to use free WAP access.
(Don't use it enough to pay VZW to use theirs.)
I have www.switchboard.com set up as a shortcut on my phone.
Other than being all text and displayed on a tiny screen - it gets me the
information I need.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 5:11:58 AM

"IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

> My LG VX4400 is set up to use free WAP access.
> (Don't use it enough to pay VZW to use theirs.)
> I have www.switchboard.com set up as a shortcut on my phone.
> Other than being all text and displayed on a tiny screen - it gets me the
> information I need.

I don't have web or wap access enabled on my phone. But, I do have text
messaging. Is there a place that I can SMS a name and city and get back
somebody's phone number or address?

-Jeff
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:29:48 PM

Xman wrote:
> Roll-over will eventually win.

Rollover is a red herring.

Rollover is useful only for a small subset of cellular users.

If you never go over your minutes at all, you'll never use your rollover
minutes.

If you go over practically every month, you'll have no rollover minutes in
the months you go over (and if you go over your allotment that often, you
should be using a plan with more included minutes anyhow).

I like Sprint's Fair & Flexible plan better. If I go over, I get charged $5
for another 100 minutes (I have a 700-minute plan. It's $5/100 minutes for
700-minute-plus plans, $10/100 minutes for 300-500 minute plans). How much
per minute does Cingular charge for overages?

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 10:28:48 PM

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:43:04 -0500, "IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net>
wrote:

>My LG VX4400 is set up to use free WAP access.
>(Don't use it enough to pay VZW to use theirs.)
>I have www.switchboard.com set up as a shortcut on my phone.

How does FREE WAP access work on VZW? How'd you get that?
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 4:33:10 AM

In news:v756b1d1u99g15v5s04v2b8sqt3250pbml@4ax.com,
Steevo@my-deja.com <steevo@my-deja.com> typed:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:43:04 -0500, "IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net>
> wrote:
>
>> My LG VX4400 is set up to use free WAP access.
>> (Don't use it enough to pay VZW to use theirs.)
>> I have www.switchboard.com set up as a shortcut on my phone.
>
> How does FREE WAP access work on VZW? How'd you get that?

I changed the WAP IP addreess on my phone to 194.204.012.042 and the port to
9201.
I went to www.winksite.com using my computer and set up my personal phone
home page (FREE).
Still uses minutes during peak time - but no other charges.

Check out the following links for information on how to set up your phone:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=535f037e34...
June 19, 2005 12:17:09 AM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:38:56 -0500, "IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net>
wrote:
>Cell phones are for a block of minutes.
>
>If you do not use 100 of your minutes each month for a year and then go over
>by 99 minutes in the next month the overage costs you $45. The 1200 minutes
>you had available and did not use do not matter.
If you use all your minutes on Cingular and you have no spares, they
will sell you 100 minutes for the same as your first 400 cost you.
Not too great a deal.

>Cingular's roll-over avoids this and Sprint sells you 100 more minutes for
>$5.
Now the Sprint deal with them selling you an extra 100 for $5 is the
best deal in Cellular today. Too bad their web access works so
poorly. And I am not talking about the speed. Cingular isn't much
better, and Verizon is much better. Not sure about Tmobile.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 4:06:46 AM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:45:10 -0700, "Richard Ness"
<richard.no@gamn.spam.nessnet.com> wrote:

>A sample voice plan has 1000 minutes. I pay for the ABILITY to use up to
>1000 minutes. No matter
>if I do - or not. Someone pays less for the ABILITY to use 600, or 400, or
>whatever minutes. But none
>of us are owed anything if we don't use all of them. The ability didn't go
>away.

That's just silly.
If you have a car with insurance, they don't charge you 3000X as much
if you drive 20% too far. Glad they don't charge for gas that way!

For cellular 450 minutes are $40, 550 minutes are $95. It's
ludicrous. You are just used to it.

How it should be is you should pay about $10 a month which includes no
usage, just a working number. Then you pay for what you use. Maybe
you get a discount if you spend more money.

That is not what we got, the cellular "plans" are a distortion of
logic.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 10:57:59 AM

Richard Ness wrote:

> HBO on cable - I pay every month for the ABILITY to watch it - if I do, or
> if I don't - doesn't matter.

It's hard to imagine a less relevant analogy.

You don't pay for a certain number of hours of HBO; you pay a flat fee
with the understanding that you can watch it as much or as little as you
like. That's unlike the vast majority of cell phone plans, where you
contract for a certain number of minutes and pay a whopping premium if
you use too many. HBO won't assess you with surcharges for watching too
many shows.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 2:30:13 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:

> I like Sprint's Fair & Flexible plan better. If I go over, I get charged
> $5 for another 100 minutes (I have a 700-minute plan. It's $5/100
> minutes for 700-minute-plus plans, $10/100 minutes for 300-500 minute
> plans). How much per minute does Cingular charge for overages?

Fair and Flexible might not be best for everyone either. If your
calling patterns are stable and in between the F&F plan base tiers (300
minutes, 800 minutes, 1,0000 minutes), then it's better to stick with
the traditional plans as they'll cost less. And you'll REALLY be losing
money if you just barely go over certain tiers. Say someone has the 300
minute base F&F plan, and uses 302 minutes. They've basically just paid
$2.50 a minute in overages as the billing system bumps them up to the
next 100-minute tier for $5 extra. The F&F plan isn't cost effective
unless you either stay within the base tier and only very occasionally
go over, or if you consistently go over the tier by at least 21 minutes.
That will assure that you're paying $.40 a minute or less for your
overages. (.40 per minute is the traditional overage cost for most
carriers).

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
June 19, 2005 7:05:02 PM

Richard Ness wrote:
> Roll over is nothing more than marketing smoke and mirrors.
> Made for morons that can't see reality easily.

Last month, after more than three years of coming in under plan limits,
we got blortched with a huge overage. (I'm still not convinced we used
all those minutes, but don't have a way of proving otherwise.) Rollover
would have saved us over thirty dollars in overcharges, even if it was
only based on the past three months of usage.

That's reality, and if not being able to easily see reality makes one
a moron...

> Guess what that makes you??

Yeah.

June 19, 2005 8:02:21 PM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 10:30:13 -0400, Isaiah Beard
<sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote:
>Steve Sobol wrote:
>
>> I like Sprint's Fair & Flexible plan better. If I go over, I get charged
>> $5 for another 100 minutes (I have a 700-minute plan. It's $5/100
>> minutes for 700-minute-plus plans, $10/100 minutes for 300-500 minute
>> plans). How much per minute does Cingular charge for overages?
>
>Fair and Flexible might not be best for everyone either.
No, best would be to stop it with all the scams and come-ons that
cellular service plans are replete with.

>If your
>calling patterns are stable and in between the F&F plan base tiers (300
>minutes, 800 minutes, 1,0000 minutes), then it's better to stick with
>the traditional plans as they'll cost less.
Not much less. You have to dig pretty deep for an instance where any
"traditional" plan would be better. Compare any F&F scenario with
being on the $39.99 Cingular plan which includes 450 minutes and use
550 one month. Discounting the silly "rollover" scam the extra 100
minutes would cost you an extra $45, for a cost of $95 for that 550
minutes. Ridiculous. The first 450 minutes are 9 cents, the extra
100 are 5x that much! On F&F the overage is 5 cents in blocks of 100,
you are talking about a pretty small penalty should you only use 2
extra minutes and have to pay $5. If you use even 10 more than your
plan you are ahead.
June 20, 2005 12:25:20 AM

I agree. Rollover is not a gimmick. And after hearing that Cingular is now
the largest cellular company in the US (according to a news report today) it
gives me hope that rollover minutes may be in my future after my current
verizon contract expires.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.cherconnection.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message
> Last month, after more than three years of coming in under plan limits,
> we got blortched with a huge overage. (I'm still not convinced we used
> all those minutes, but don't have a way of proving otherwise.) Rollover
> would have saved us over thirty dollars in overcharges, even if it was
> only based on the past three months of usage.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 12:47:01 AM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:05:02 -0500, clifto <clifto@clifto.com> wrote:

>Richard Ness wrote:
>> Roll over is nothing more than marketing smoke and mirrors.
>> Made for morons that can't see reality easily.
>
>Last month, after more than three years of coming in under plan limits,
>we got blortched with a huge overage. (I'm still not convinced we used
>all those minutes, but don't have a way of proving otherwise.) Rollover
>would have saved us over thirty dollars in overcharges, even if it was
>only based on the past three months of usage.
Only because your plan minutes were probably 6-9 cents, and the
overage minutes were billed at 5 or 6x that.

That's what you should be irritated about. If you could get your plan
minutes for a low rate why is the overage at such a ridiculous price?

Because all the cellular plans are come-ons.

They know some people will use too many and they can bill the heck out
of them. I would rather make a deal for what I need and if I go over
and use more I should get a discount, since I am a bigger customer.
That's how it's supposed to be.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 12:47:34 AM

Isaiah Beard wrote:

> Fair and Flexible might not be best for everyone either. If your
> calling patterns are stable and in between the F&F plan base tiers (300
> minutes, 800 minutes, 1,0000 minutes), then it's better to stick with
> the traditional plans as they'll cost less. And you'll REALLY be losing
> money if you just barely go over certain tiers.

Absolutely. But F&F isn't about saving money. F&F is about knowing exactly
what you're going to be charged. One minute of overage will cost you the
same as 99 (5 bucks).

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 12:50:37 AM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:25:20 GMT, "susan" <susanl@penn.com> wrote:

>I agree. Rollover is not a gimmick. And after hearing that Cingular is now
>the largest cellular company in the US (according to a news report today) it
>gives me hope that rollover minutes may be in my future after my current
>verizon contract expires.

Only because AT&T was going belly up and sold out to them. Now how
the heck anyone could go belly up in the cellular business I have no
idea.

Rollover is a gimmick, it's marketing hype. Not that it might not help
you in some instances and it is surely better than paying for
something (in this case minutes) and losing them if you don't use
them. With the rollover idea you can stockpile minutes you didn't
actually need but they charged you for.

Cingular's rollover gimmick perpetuates the idea that you should
decide how much of something you want to buy and pay for them before
you really know how much you will need. I'm glad redimix concrete and
gasoline aren't sold that way! "Oh, sorry sir, your gas tank is full.
Do you want me to put the last 40 gallons you contracted for in a
plastic bag for you? Or maybe just in the back seat?"

On Verizon, T-mobile et all you just lose unused minutes, right? But
If you go over they basically charge you 5x what the minutes you paid
in advance for were, right? That's what should upset you. Cingular
does the same, BTW.

The better solution would be to pay for the service by the month, and
pay for all the usage by the minute (or better, 1/10 minute). You
wouldn't have to figure out how much of something you want before you
use it and you wouldn't have to worry about the cost per minute being
multiplied by 5 in some instances. Or more.

In a perfect world........
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 2:50:41 AM

"Steevo@my-deja.com" <steevo@my-deja.com> wrote in

> No, best would be to stop it with all the scams and come-ons that
> cellular service plans are replete with.

You mean like:
http://suncom.com
Uses the ATT/Cingular system in SC/NC/GA/TN...roams on ATT/Cingular
elsewhere. If I didn't have to go out in the country on AMPS, I'd have it.
Call anyone as long as you like, as often as you like, across the whole
damned country...even at noon on Monday!

I've seen 'em run this plan for $39.95/month on specials!

SunCom UnPlansm

The SunCom UnPlanSM revolutionized wireless with the first truly unlimited,
flat-rate calling plan. Call as often as you want throughout the SunCom
Region. Use your unlimited minutes anytime to call anyone in America, so
your "mobile calling community" includes more than 280 million people!

Taxes & Fees Minutes Included Additional Minutes Monthly Charge

SunCom UnPlan w/2-yr service agreement Included Unlimited N/A $69.00
SunCom UnPlan w/1-yr service agreement Included Unlimited N/A $75.00

(When they say it costs $69/month...that's the BILL, INCLUDING THE
TAXES/ADDONS!)

ADD-A-LINE OPTION
all lines share original plan minutes $30/line 1 or 2 year service
agreement required dependent on handset chosen.

Included Features
• FREE Nationwide Long Distance!
• Basic Voicemail, 3-Way Calling, Call Waiting, Caller ID, Call Forwarding,
SunCom Account Online (register online), SunCom iNotes (10¢ per message),
SunCom iNotes Plus (25¢ per message), SunCom iLink Plus (2¢ per KB), Taxes
and Fees

Our no small print guarantee.
At SunCom, we believe in being honest. We promise to give you all the
information you need to make the decision that's right for you. So here are
some important things we want you to know:
Monthly plan charges shown are based on a two-year agreement. Unlimited
Nights & Weekends hours are: Fri 7 pm - Mon 7 am and Mon - Thurs night from
9 pm - 7 am.
If you decide to cancel service before your agreement is completed, we'll
charge you a $200 early cancellation fee - and we really don't want to do
that.
If you make calls using a credit card or take advantage of SunCom At Your
Service directory assistance you will incur an additional monthly charge on
your bill.
Partial minutes are rounded up and billed as a full minute and any unused
plan minutes are not carried over to the next month. The only exception is
our Firefly product.
Call Forwarding is free, but remember any minutes incurred when you use
this feature will count towards your plan minutes.
Our service is available to residents in specific ZIP codes in North and
South Carolina, parts of Tennessee, Georgia and a small portion of
southwest Virginia.
Availability and reliability of service are subject to transmission
limitations.
Our Enhanced Mobile-to-Mobile service includes calls to or from another
SunCom Phone Number within the SunCom Region. Caller ID must be received
for Enhanced Mobile-to-Mobile minutes to apply.
If you sign up more than five people on a Family Plan, each additional
person will be charged $75 per month.
At least half of your minutes must be used on the SunCom Network. If not,
we may end your agreement (and we really don't want to do that).
We expect that you'll use your phone primarily for personal use. If you
consistently use above the average monthly minutes compared with other
customers in your area, we may move you to a different plan or end your
agreement.

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
chalk.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 10:43:15 AM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:47:34 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>Isaiah Beard wrote:
>
>> Fair and Flexible might not be best for everyone either. If your
>> calling patterns are stable and in between the F&F plan base tiers (300
>> minutes, 800 minutes, 1,0000 minutes), then it's better to stick with
>> the traditional plans as they'll cost less. And you'll REALLY be losing
>> money if you just barely go over certain tiers.
>
>Absolutely. But F&F isn't about saving money. F&F is about knowing exactly
>what you're going to be charged. One minute of overage will cost you the
>same as 99 (5 bucks).

Steve, you said it better than I did.

Lots better to be charged $5 for your overage than $45. Or $500 like
a friend was just charged on Sprint but not on F&F! Gad. He got all
pissed and cancelled, I would have made them rebill it as F&F.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 5:50:08 PM

Rollover will help very few people and on rare occasions. Each months
leftover minutes will rollover for only one year. They will not keep
building up adnausium. They will fall off after one year. I do not
know if should you go over in a month if they are used Fifo or Lifo.
Does anyone know? Each customer has to analyze their calling patterns
carefully. If they are going over more than once a year, it is likely
to be more economical to go with a higher plan, since that would mean it
is likely they are exceeding the minutes that rolled over and the
charges on the over rollover minutes would be more than the monthly
savings of the lower plan.

Susan wrote:
> I tend to agree. People will go where the best deal is. Perhaps it will take
> two years for the full effect to start showing, but as other companies start
> to be more customer friendly, and offer better coverage there will be a
> shift of Verizon's customer base to the better service. I am hoping that
> Cingular and their rollover minutes will be an option the next time my
> contract is up. I used to be impressed with Verizons service, but it seems
> to be getting more convoluted and and Verizon more greedy.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> http://cherconnection.proboards3.com/
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "Victor Henry" <swabbo@seafarer> wrote in message
>
>>VZW is truly run by squinty-eyed accountants instead of strategic-thinking
>>businessmen. You can't continue to nickel and dime your customers without
>>alienating them. VZW does things like starting to charge minutes to call
>>voice mail, eliminating free call detail on your bill, now raising the
>
> cost
>
>>of incoming test messages from 2 cents to a dime, etc., etc.
>>
>>It's short term thinking guys. Sure you generate some extra revenue this
>>month-- but you're pissing off a customer base that has been pretty loyal.
>>Unhappy customers means increasing churn and declining revenue long term.
>>
>>Don't say you weren't warned! Cut it out and give back what you've taken
>>away!!
>>
>>Victor

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 10:51:42 PM

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> Rollover will help very few people and on rare occasions. Each
> months leftover minutes will rollover for only one year. They will not
> keep building up adnausium. They will fall off after one year. I do
> not know if should you go over in a month if they are used Fifo or Lifo.
> Does anyone know? Each customer has to analyze their calling patterns
> carefully. If they are going over more than once a year, it is likely
> to be more economical to go with a higher plan, since that would mean it
> is likely they are exceeding the minutes that rolled over and the
> charges on the over rollover minutes would be more than the monthly
> savings of the lower plan.

It could be more than the annual savings of the lower plan.

!